News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Casper Gutman

There is a very important distinction between the TIGHT synergy of modern IP-based attractions and the far looser synergy displayed by most of the early Disneyland attractions. Things like Crockett and Frontierland were related less from a modern media tie-in as we understand it and more because both pulled from the same shared American mythology. Tie-ins in early Disneyland often had little connection to the primary media beyond a shared name.

In this era of tighter synergy, rides must be clearly situated components of the overarching text, corresponding in every detail and carefully positioned in time and space in relation to every other iteration of the franchise. Think of Pandora, which situates itself a century after the existing film in order not to conflict with other manifestations of the universe. Heck, think of Little Mermaid, which, unlike the classic Fantasyland rides, goes out of its way to make clear it takes place AFTER the action of the film, the story being retold by Scuttle.

A few more notes: King Arthur Carosel preceded Sword in the Stone by eight years. Mark Twain is NOT a Disney-affiliated IP. The connection between Jungle Cruise and Tru-Life Adventures is, I believe, one of shared inspiration - the ride is just as much inspired by The African Queen.

There is a very, very big difference in the QUALITY of the synergy now being emphasized in the park to anything seen in DL's early days - or prior to the opening of Harry Potter, for that matter. If you remove Fantasyland from the equation, the difference becomes even more stark.

lazyboy97o

Things like Crockett and Frontierland were related less from a modern media tie-in as we understand it and more because both pulled from the same shared American mythology.
Davy Crackett keeps popping up and yet it should not count. Davy Crockett, Indian Fighter aired in December 1955. This is months after construction started on Disneyland and the miniseries was aired as part of the Disneyland television show. Frontierland was not added to capitalize on the Davy Crockett craze and Davy Crockett was created as a “Disney” character because of Frontierland.

NeXuS1000

The list you used is of current attractions. It tells you nothing about the past.

And you’re the only one who keeps mentioning The Disneyland Band.

Ehrm, did you even bother to click the link of the source I provided?

It has this list, slated as opening day attractions.

upload_2017-8-26_16-44-36.png

Now you're just being stubborn. Get over it.

disneyC97

Isn't IOA all literature/book based?

Regardless I were last summer after an 18 year break and was not impressed. Especially by mid afternoon when lightening in the area shut down about 90% of the attractions. And I had purchased the fast pass option or whatever it's called there.

I was more than happy to get my cab back to WDW. I'll try again in another 18 years.

Casper Gutman

Isn't IOA all literature/book based?

Regardless I were last summer after an 18 year break and was not impressed. Especially by mid afternoon when lightening in the area shut down about 90% of the attractions. And I had purchased the fast pass option or whatever it's called there.

I was more than happy to get my cab back to WDW. I'll try again in another 18 years.
Sooooo....

You showed up, got mad that Universal didn't control the weather properly, apparently didn't ride Spidey, Potter, Cat, or any of the other great (far more than 10%) attractions that would have been open, and then left.

Next Big Thing

Davy Crackett keeps popping up and yet it should not count. Davy Crockett, Indian Fighter aired in December 1955. This is months after construction started on Disneyland and the miniseries was aired as part of the Disneyland television show. Frontierland was not added to capitalize on the Davy Crockett craze and Davy Crockett was created as a “Disney” character because of Frontierland.
By that definition, Sleeping Beauty's Castle isn't IP-based either because the movie didn't come out until 1959. :rolleyes:

Walt loved synergy.

Tom Morrow

^ Looks like they're not messing around. I really hope they preserve some of the key figures and props. They deserve better than to end up in a dumpster.

Most of the timeless classic Disney rides are not IP based or only loosely based at best. Similarly, Epcot, DHS, and DAK originated with minimal IP. Using Disneyland in 1955 as an example is kind of irrelevant.

raymusiccity

Debris being hauled out of GMR. Same spot that they took out those set pieces from Alien, although this is a lot less impressive.

NFgXo01.jpg

yScWeZJ.jpg

ujRl62R.jpg

RumsCoJ.jpg
At least they're not letting GMR sit and slowly rot. I'm glad that they're immediately getting to work at clearing out the old and in with the new. It's a vast improvement over Kitchen Cabaret being abandoned, Cranium Command still languishes, Body Wars was cannibalized, Rocket Rods was a shameful fiasco, et al. I'm sure there are many more that can be added to this list.

rocketraccoon

^ Looks like they're not messing around. I really hope they preserve some of the key figures and props. They deserve better than to end up in a dumpster.
I imagine they are. There's a fair amount of stuff that can be remade pretty easily like the bits of metal from the Alien scene, but things like the spacesuits in that same scene will probably be saved.

Tom Morrow

Whoa whoa whoa, hey now, I thought Walt's original was the end all be all of theme park perfections and now we're suppose to ignore the opening year because of irrelevance...or is it because it proves against your point???
That was (I think) my first comment on the topic in this thread and I've never said that about Disneyland. And I certainly don't consider Walt to be infallible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom