News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

erasure fan1

I believe the ride closure had more to do with not wanting to pay and advertise a non Disney brand when they can advertise a Disney brand instead. Same thing that happened to Tower of Terror in California.
But if they wanted to advertise the Disney brand they could have. That was the beauty of The great movie ride, if you wanted, it could never go out of date. They could have advertised the heck out of their brand. But they chose the shoe horn approach again.

asianway

But if they wanted to advertise the Disney brand they could have. That was the beauty of The great movie ride, if you wanted, it could never go out of date. They could have advertised the heck out of their brand. But they chose the shoe horn approach again.
Swap Oz with Sugar Rush and a King Candy AA. Possibilities were endless. You could have gotten rid of every non Disney IP and had an enhanced ride

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Bring me an 1873 Winchester short and a LeMat... and have Elsa, the snowman, and the Dreamfinder meet me at the town square at high noon.
Actually, they said they're just sending one...
5761e3f97c5da1361b39a26129ebbfd5.jpg

admiral-ari-x

Looking at all of the videos made me cry (as per usual with these sad occasions...) I got to ride my last time in April, and the line was about 50 minutes- worth it though, I got to see the cowboy hijacking for the first time before the ride closed! Such an absolute shame it's gone :bawling: But now all this demo has me nervous... how much of this ride can be/will be slavaged or preserved? Any specific bits of news are appreciated!

RoysCabin

The whole notion of movies “deserving” to be the parks is a big part of why The Great Movie Ride is being ripped out. It is a metric that has absolutely nothing to do with the guest experience.

This is a key point that I think doesn't get brought up enough.

For starters, "Movie X, Movie Y, and Movie Z ALL deserve to be in a park" is not a conducive line of thinking in creating well-crafted theme parks; it's too much of a "stuff everything in" mentality that cares little for cohesion and what optimizes the guest experience. Obviously I don't blame a company like Disney for wanting to capitalize on a hot property in the parks now and then, but this leads into the second point: there is no more "now and then", because Disney, now a larger entertainment conglomerate than ever before, has a new potential blockbuster out just about every other weekend.

Simply put, there are just too many movies that come out from Disney-owned studios to fit everything into the parks. I get that's why they're aiming for concepts like Star Wars Land, where they can just get as much in as possible from the property into a set number of acres, but then there's the entirety of Marvel, more animated movies than ever before, etc. When the original parks opened Disney averaged an "animated classic" every few years: last year alone had both Moana and Zootopia, and I'm not even including whatever output Pixar has on the way. It just isn't feasible.

This really does hurt, too; the loss of the moving theater, AA-heavy concept ride is a huge blow to the style of attraction that made Disney World what it was for my family and I, and it does lead to some tough questions about whether this is still a resort that appeals to that sensibility and whether I can really bring myself to drop multiple thousands of dollars to visit with any annual regularity. That's not me pouting or getting into a huff, just having to be real about whether this is "meant" for fans of the old style anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom