Disney needs to crack down on merchandise scalping.

John C. Shepherd

it is sad people do that, but again what are they to do. I am sure disney goes YEAH we sold out, made our profit. Pushing and shoving it unreal also, I am with that one guy someone shoves my kid it will get ugly.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sorry, but something is "worth" what someone else will pay for it.
And I'm sorry you can't see the difference between profiteering on essentials and entrepreneurship selling worthless trinkets. If you had been in South Florida or South Texas a few weeks ago, perhaps the difference would become clearer to you.

You mean like selling a 500 dollar harbor freight generator for 2500... Some would call this an 'efficient allocation of resources signalling demand elasticity'. Others call it profiteering.

Yes the guy who buys a truckload of gensets and hauls them to a disaster site needs to get a significant premium over MSRP but not 5x MSRP

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Ever buy grapes at the local grocery store? If it weren't for all the middlemen, distributors, and warehouses out there, you'd be unable to do that. And trust me, they're not doing it for free. Everybody gets a mark-up.

What's happening with the "limited edition" merch is just another aspect of a middleman buying from the producer and reselling to the demanding consumer. It's the free-market, American capitalist way.

And speaking of grapes, I'm starting to detect a big bunch of sour grapes in your posts.
Not "sour grapes". Just stating the fact that it's hypocritical for people to complain about Disney prices in the parks but then say it's totally fine for people to mooch off Disney's name or Nintendo's or whomever else.

Goofyernmost

If it makes you feel better just imagine some kid that could keep the ball out of the gutter if he life depended on it saw the patch and now thanks to that patch he gained the confidence he needed to bowl 300.... Or you could just be realist and accept that it was probably tossed into a box of random junk that someone bought as a lot and then tossed the patch when they went through the box... The beauty of it being sold is you can now imagine any story you want for what happened to it... if you had it where would it really be, probably in a box in a closet collecting dust.
Are you saying that someday I might walk into a museum of artifacts of famous people and I will once again be reunited with my bowling patch for 4th place as a 10 year old?

Tony the Tigger

You mean like selling a 500 dollar harbor freight generator for 2500... Some would call this an 'efficient allocation of resources signalling demand elasticity'. Others call it profiteering.

Yes the guy who buys a truckload of gensets and hauls them to a disaster site needs to get a significant premium over MSRP but not 5x MSRP

I’m sure if you think a moment, you can explain why that’s different than Disney toys.

Goofyernmost

I’m sure if you think a moment, you can explain why that’s different than Disney toys.
Wait, wait... I think I've got it. The generator was a necessity and people needed it to survive and toys are not necessary and therefore if anyone is foolish enough to spend that much money on that junk, well, frankly it's hard to care.

Was I close? I just wanted to help the exploder grasp the difference. Hope I was a help!;)

And if I was... what do I win?

Tony the Tigger

Wait, wait... I think I've got it. The generator was a necessity and people needed it to survive and toys are not necessary and therefore if anyone is foolish enough to spend that much money on that junk, well, frankly it's hard to care.

Was I close? I just wanted to help the exploder grasp the difference. Hope I was a help!;)

And if I was... what do I win?

Close enough!

Although I tend to stay away from the “that junk“ argument because one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Suffice it to say it’s not a necessity.

thomas998

Are you saying that someday I might walk into a museum of artifacts of famous people and I will once again be reunited with my bowling patch for 4th place as a 10 year old?
Sure... and if you really believe that I've got a great deal on a bridge in New York City you might want to consider purchasing.

Goofyernmost

Sure... and if you really believe that I've got a great deal on a bridge in New York City you might want to consider purchasing.
Sure, build up my dreams and then shatter them to tiny little pieces. I need to go lie down.
I already bought the GW Bridge from a very nice fellow that was completely blown away by, what he called, my startling resemblance to Brad Pitt. Anyway I already own that one and I have the deed printed on official looking parchment type paper. Are you talking about one of the other bridges? He also offered me some prime ocean front property in Arizona. I passed that one up because I don't own a boat.

rob0519

But is profiteering in this case illegal? Unlikely. If the people to whom the generators were being offered at $2,500 did not have that amount of money or chose not to spend that amount of money, the price of the generators would start dropping unless the seller is content to sit on the inventory until his price is met. Conversely, a wealthy individual could offer $10,000 for that same generator. Again, an item's value is only what someone else is willing to pay for it or what the seller is willing to accept.

As for a "significant" premium, who gets to decide what's acceptable on the secondary market? Is 4X acceptable, but not 5x? Not everyone has the same moral compass to help people in a disaster.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But is profiteering in this case illegal? Unlikely. If the people to whom the generators were being offered at $2,500 did not have that amount of money or chose not to spend that amount of money, the price of the generators would start dropping unless the seller is content to sit on the inventory until his price is met. Conversely, a wealthy individual could offer $10,000 for that same generator. Again, an item's value is only what someone else is willing to pay for it or what the seller is willing to accept.

As for a "significant" premium, who gets to decide what's acceptable on the secondary market? Is 4X acceptable, but not 5x? Not everyone has the same moral compass to help people in a disaster.

For a 'legal' definition i would probably go with 4x list as the boundary between taking necessary risk including security for bringing items into disaster areas. with the mayor/governor able to lift the limit if required.

Capitalism is the economic force which has raised more out of poverty than any other. That's not to say markets dont need regulation. But its strong bright line regulations which work not the micromanaging regulations which we see as a part of regulatory capitalism where investing in lobbyists and lawyers is more profitable than investing in the business itself.

Im also a proponent of executive pay controls as other countries have more successful businesses but the CEO's are not grossly overcompensated as thy are in the US

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
...but I still hate them at Christmastime.

It's one reason our family and a few of our friends have stopped exchanging anything but handmade gifts, The experience of actually creating a gift for someone you care for beats shopping at the mall or online any day of the week. This got started in the financial crisis when it felt wrong to go out and buy stuff when people were hurting badly.

dvitali

Funko Orange Bird was to be a park Only limited edition but at New York Comics Con they have that limited editions for twenty Dollar. All ready onEbay For over Hundred dollar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom