Disney needs to crack down on merchandise scalping.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Or just don’t buy it.

People like you are why eBay had to institute automatic stars for shipping when tracking shows it was delivered on time. Because you are dishonest.

There are legitimate collector markets. They intersect with commodity markets and may surprise non-collectors. That doesn’t mean the seller is ripping you off.

Specifically in the case of an eBay auction, you either bid the price up or you don’t, and the item sells for what the market will bear at that moment. That’s supply and demand, not greed.

If you didn’t get one at retail, that’s unfortunate. It’s not a rip-off.

Again, the company can always make more if they want.
Yeah but it's a totally high character thing to do to sell something for two or 3 times what it's actually worth just because you're a loser without a job. I've never done anything like that on the ebay feedback system. I'm just saying that people should find a way to troll scalpers because ultimately scalpers are trolls and trying to justify it just shows that you're not a person of high character. If you think it's perfectly fine to buy up the hottest toy of the Christmas season and then sell it for an insane price to parents who are barely making ends meet then you really need to get some fresh air.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

You need gas to drive and food to eat. You don't "need" Disney collectibles.
Whether you "need" it or not is totally inconsequential and irrelevant. The point is that someone is selling something for clearly more than it is worth and on principle that is straight up wrong. People are constantly on here complaining about how "expensive" Disneyworld is but I'm never one of them and I take 3 trips a year and spend about 25 days a year there. Our solution to being able to go that much was joining the DVC but some complain that it also is too expensive. Yet will turn around and say that it's totally cool for people to sell Funko's for triple what Disney is asking for them. That is what is actually called "hypocrisy".

Tony the Tigger

Yeah but it's a totally high character thing to do to sell something for two or 3 times what it's actually worth just because you're a loser without a job. I've never done anything like that on the ebay feedback system. I'm just saying that people should find a way to troll scalpers because ultimately scalpers are trolls and trying to justify it just shows that you're not a person of high character. If you think it's perfectly fine to buy up the hottest toy of the Christmas season and then sell it for an insane price to parents who are barely making ends meet then you really need to get some fresh air.

So presumptuous.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Oh like WDW already does in most of their gift shops???
But if it's wrong for Disney to do it then how is it right for scalpers to do it? I don't mind the prices Disney sets on things because they are the one producing the stuff and taking all the risk. Scalpers are no different than able bodied people sitting on their porches all day while everyone else works. They are both scumbags.

DABIGCHEEZ

But if it's wrong for Disney to do it then how is it right for scalpers to do it? I don't mind the prices Disney sets on things because they are the one producing the stuff and taking all the risk. Scalpers are no different than able bodied people sitting on their porches all day while everyone else works. They are both scumbags.

First my point was it is all overpriced crap anyway...

Also, I personally have never sold anything on ebay... I have bought things though. And you know what? When the price is ridiculous in my eyes... I DON'T BUY IT, whether it is on eBay or in the World of Disney store, and somehow my life goes on without it. I guess people who work full time can't have another source of income or is it required to be unemployed to sell things on ebay?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Whether you "need" it or not is totally inconsequential and irrelevant. The point is that someone is selling something for clearly more than it is worth and on principle that is straight up wrong...
Sorry, but something is "worth" what someone else will pay for it.
And I'm sorry you can't see the difference between profiteering on essentials and entrepreneurship selling worthless trinkets. If you had been in South Florida or South Texas a few weeks ago, perhaps the difference would become clearer to you.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Sorry, but something is "worth" what someone else will pay for it.
And I'm sorry you can't see the difference between profiteering on essentials and entrepreneurship selling worthless trinkets. If you had been in South Florida or South Texas a few weeks ago, perhaps the difference would become clearer to you.
An "entrepreneur" is a person that invests time and money in creating something and taking risks. Not lining up like a loser to buy something someone else has created and actually invested in just so they can sell it for an asinine price. Price gouging is price gouging. I just think it's ironic that people want to whine that Disney is selling $3 bottles of water or $5 Mickey bars but then think it's totally fine for idiots to jack up the price of something on ebay.

Goofyernmost

Not saying it was my moms fault parents got divorced and the house was sold. I do remember baseball cards in the spokes of my bike too for that sound
It was just an off the cuff joke anyway, no worries. Things like that happen to everyone. I could tell you about my bowling patch that I won when our bowling team, consisting of 10 year olds, came in 4th place. Suffice it to say that when we moved from New York State to Vermont everything that wasn't nailed down was sold. She sold the only semi-athletic award that I had ever won. I never let her forget it, but, deep down I didn't really care all that much. But, she sold my bowling patch award. Gasp!

Edited to add... The bigger question, now that I think about it, is what kind of loser would pay someone money for something that someone else won? Especially a bowling patch. Some things will always remain a mystery.

Last edited:

ColinP29

Other than a hunch. On what do you base your conclusion?

While pushing passed a small child to get to the front of a queue would be absolutely frowned upon by 100% of people, which I totally agree is completely out of order, it is not against the law, it is just dangerous and very rude. Then going up to a person and pushing them is classed as assault (very basic assault, but assault none the less) so to then threaten the woman with camera footage from Disney which would show an old lady barging through a queue (Frowned upon) and also a woman assaulting another woman (Crime), is just stupid. While the old lady would lose her annual pass, assuming she is an annual pass holder, and there is no guarantee that would happen, the other lady would have evidence for assualt

Tony the Tigger

The only difference between retailers selling things they paid much less for and resellers selling things they paid much less for is you may have some idea what the resellers paid for them. (Then again, that may just be an assumption on your part.)

Resellers also take plenty of risk. There are many, many people who have turned reselling into their full time business (for which they do, in fact, pay taxes, pull business licenses, take returns and losses, and consider (in this case) Disney expenses as business expenses.

If a local who lives in Kissimmee and does this full time takes their AP and goes to WDW that day just to stand in line for 3 hours, buy the max, and go home and create listings on various sites - that's a work day, not a ride attractions day. It may or may not be more enjoyable for that person than sitting at a desk 9 to 5, but that doesn't mean it isn't work.

Tony the Tigger

An "entrepreneur" is a person that invests time and money in creating something and taking risks. Not lining up like a loser to buy something someone else has created and actually invested in just so they can sell it for an asinine price. Price gouging is price gouging. I just think it's ironic that people want to whine that Disney is selling $3 bottles of water or $5 Mickey bars but then think it's totally fine for idiots to jack up the price of something on ebay.

This is beginning o_O to sound like a tantrum.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Ever buy grapes at the local grocery store? If it weren't for all the middlemen, distributors, and warehouses out there, you'd be unable to do that. And trust me, they're not doing it for free. Everybody gets a mark-up.

What's happening with the "limited edition" merch is just another aspect of a middleman buying from the producer and reselling to the demanding consumer. It's the free-market, American capitalist way.

And speaking of grapes, I'm starting to detect a big bunch of sour grapes in your posts.

Last edited:

21stamps

The answer: shop earlier.

The answer is probably to stop taking vacations at the end of November so I can dedicate more time.lol I swear the "hot" toys disappear immediately. I call and get all shipping schedules from nearby stores, and will literally run out of work if something comes in..did this with a stupid Bat Bot a few years ago.. literally sprinted to my car and ran in a sprint to the store, and to the aisle.

I should have put it on EBay instead of wrapping it.. kid played with it twice. Same thing with a few "must have" SW items, one that I did pay way too much for on an Amazon store.
I guess I can't blame people for capitalizing on us desperate parents, but it's still frustrating.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The answer is probably to stop taking vacations at the end of November so I can dedicate more time.lol I swear the "hot" toys disappear immediately. I call and get all shipping schedules from nearby stores, and will literally run out of work if something comes in..did this with a stupid Bat Bot a few years ago.. literally sprinted to my car and ran in a sprint to the store, and to the aisle.

I should have put it on EBay instead of wrapping it.. kid played with it twice. Same thing with a few "must have" SW items, one that I did pay way too much for on an Amazon store.
I guess I can't blame people for capitalizing on us desperate parents, but it's still frustrating.
This is why I stopped going after the "hot toys" years ago. Nine times out of ten it was about the parent wanting to get the latest fad toy for their child vs. the kid actually wanting the thing.

21stamps

This is why I stopped going after the "hot toys" years ago. Nine times out of ten it was about the parent wanting to get the latest fad toy for their child vs. the kid actually wanting the thing.

I agree. Years 0-3 I literally just bought everything on the "hot toy list" for the specific age group. If I had to do over again, I'd save myself the stress.

Age 4 he started picking..which lead to new problems. I explained that Santa can't bring the entire Toys R Us and Target Big Book of Toys on his sled. That stupid Bat Bot was first on his list to every letter to Santa though. I try to make sure and get all of the (realistic) items on the Santa list, someday soon that same "magic" won't exist.

Actually, the funny thing is - one year..with an insane amount of "latest fad" toys wrapped from me and Santa.. my mom had picked one of those simple dog on a rope toys.. vintage style. She was in a store and saw it for $5. That was his favorite toy on Christmas Day. $5, no flashing lights or sounds, no batteries required at all.lol

Last edited:

thomas998

It was just an off the cuff joke anyway, no worries. Things like that happen to everyone. I could tell you about my bowling patch that I won when our bowling team, consisting of 10 year olds, came in 4th place. Suffice it to say that when we moved from New York State to Vermont everything that wasn't nailed down was sold. She sold the only semi-athletic award that I had ever won. I never let her forget it, but, deep down I didn't really care all that much. But, she sold my bowling patch award. Gasp!

Edited to add... The bigger question, now that I think about it, is what kind of loser would pay someone money for something that someone else won? Especially a bowling patch. Some things will always remain a mystery.
If it makes you feel better just imagine some kid that could keep the ball out of the gutter if he life depended on it saw the patch and now thanks to that patch he gained the confidence he needed to bowl 300.... Or you could just be realist and accept that it was probably tossed into a box of random junk that someone bought as a lot and then tossed the patch when they went through the box... The beauty of it being sold is you can now imagine any story you want for what happened to it... if you had it where would it really be, probably in a box in a closet collecting dust.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If it makes you feel better just imagine some kid that could keep the ball out of the gutter if he life depended on it saw the patch and now thanks to that patch he gained the confidence he needed to bowl 300.... Or you could just be realist and accept that it was probably tossed into a box of random junk that someone bought as a lot and then tossed the patch when they went through the box... The beauty of it being sold is you can now imagine any story you want for what happened to it... if you had it where would it really be, probably in a box in a closet collecting dust.
Imagine his horror when it shows up on Antiques Roadshow being worth $800 to $1,000...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom