Disney needs to crack down on merchandise scalping.

Tony the Tigger

I very nearly dropped an obscene amount of money on the original mail order set of Star Wars figures in original packaging at Celebration this year.

med-packaged-front.jpg

Drool.

I had 2 Darth Vader cases full of action figures. Any time I could put together 3 bucks, I’d go to the store for a new one.

Anything bigger than an action figure had to be a Christmas present. (X-Wing fighter, etc.)

Never got the big Millennium Falcon. The white whale.

I was just in a huge comic book/toy store a few days ago (opening a second location of my own biz there) and saw some of the less desirable ROTJ toys there going for $30-$50 each. I don’t know why my brain remembers specific things from the 80’s but not whether I fed the dog yesterday, but I remember those (mostly little Endor accessories) being on clearance in big bulk bins at our local supermarket for a few bucks each.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

People do this with Nintendo merch as well. I've wondered if maybe the only thing people can do is go ahead and pay the gouged ebay price and then leave them insanely negative feedback. Maybe put how they were slow to ship it or something because they don't notify you within 10 minutes of the auction ending that it has been shipped because who can say whether you are satisfied with a transaction or not? I mean only you can, right? So seems you could just find little ways to troll them back on ebay. Or just have people make fake accounts and bid astronomical numbers and then don't pay and cause them to just have to relist it again and rinse and repeat. I'm really surprised people don't do things like that because situations like this trigger so much anger in people. As far as Disney doing anything to curb this, I wouldn't hold my breath. They wouldn't care if one person bought every single piece as long as they get their money out of it. What I do think is weird though is that some people will defend scalpers but then complain if gas stations or grocery stores gouge them.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Drool.

I had 2 Darth Vader cases full of action figures. Any time I could put together 3 bucks, I’d go to the store for a new one.

Anything bigger than an action figure had to be a Christmas present. (X-Wing fighter, etc.)

Never got the big Millennium Falcon. The white whale.

I was just in a huge comic book/toy store a few days ago (opening a second location of my own biz there) and saw some of the less desirable ROTJ toys there going for $30-$50 each. I don’t know why my brain remembers specific things from the 80’s but not whether I fed the dog yesterday, but I remember those (mostly little Endor accessories) being on clearance in big bulk bins at our local supermarket for a few bucks each.
I had pretty much every Star Wars toy Kenner released (born in 71 and lived next door to my grandparents:D) Sadly, none of the survived my teenage years.

I started collecting again when the Hasbro line came out in the 90's, but very little of that line ever amounted to anything.I stopped collecting shortly after the first wave of Episode 1 toys as it became more like work.

Tony the Tigger

People do this with Nintendo merch as well. I've wondered if maybe the only thing people can do is go ahead and pay the gouged ebay price and then leave them insanely negative feedback. Maybe put how they were slow to ship it or something because they don't notify you within 10 minutes of the auction ending that it has been shipped because who can say whether you are satisfied with a transaction or not? I mean only you can, right? So seems you could just find little ways to troll them back on ebay. Or just have people make fake accounts and bid astronomical numbers and then don't pay and cause them to just have to relist it again and rinse and repeat. I'm really surprised people don't do things like that because situations like this trigger so much anger in people. As far as Disney doing anything to curb this, I wouldn't hold my breath. They wouldn't care if one person bought every single piece as long as they get their money out of it. What I do think is weird though is that some people will defend scalpers but then complain if gas stations or grocery stores gouge them.

Or just don’t buy it.

People like you are why eBay had to institute automatic stars for shipping when tracking shows it was delivered on time. Because you are dishonest.

There are legitimate collector markets. They intersect with commodity markets and may surprise non-collectors. That doesn’t mean the seller is ripping you off.

Specifically in the case of an eBay auction, you either bid the price up or you don’t, and the item sells for what the market will bear at that moment. That’s supply and demand, not greed.

If you didn’t get one at retail, that’s unfortunate. It’s not a rip-off.

Again, the company can always make more if they want.

Tony the Tigger

I had pretty much every Star Wars toy Kenner released (born in 71 and lived next door to my grandparents:D) Sadly, none of the survived my teenage years.

I started collecting again when the Hasbro line came out in the 90's, but very little of that line ever amounted to anything.I stopped collecting shortly after the first wave of Episode 1 toys as it became more like work.

Born in ‘71 also (hence I love all the ‘1971’ WDW merch lol.)

I ended up selling my action figures in bulk on eBay (too soon) in the late ‘90s when I was short on cash.

My Ewok village is (I think) the only thing that remains in my mother’s attic in NJ, and I’m pretty sure my little brother broke it somehow after I moved out.

I think my other stuff (Dagobah, etc.) just got mixed in with his stuff and Mom eventually did with it whatever she did.

She also threw out all my ‘70s Topps baseball cards. :banghead:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I ended up selling my action figures in bulk on eBay (too soon) in the late ‘90s when I was short on cash.

My Ewok village is (I think) the only thing that remains in my mother’s attic in NJ, and I’m pretty sure my little brother broke it somehow after I moved out.

I think my other stuff (Dagobah, etc.) just got mixed in with his stuff and Mom eventually did with it whatever she did.

About the only thing I have left from my childhood and teenage years are my comics. I was into GI Joe, Transformers, Groo and a smattering of Marvel Superhero stuff (Secret Wars 1 & 2, Cloak and Dagger, etc)

Seabasealpha1

What a lot of people don't realize, is that there's a lot of the park merchandise sold for the same "in-park" price on the disney store website...now, not all of it...but a lot of it...

There's still something to be said for certain things only being available when you visit the parks though...for myself, some things I don't want to buy unless I've been there as the association of buying an item as a momento means more to me than what I'm purchasing...

Which...is why I buy a set of Bamboo wind chimes every time I'm in Adventureland in Magic Kingdom per trip...

John park hopper

My mom threw out my baseball cards from the late 50's-60's I could not believe it when I went to look for them

Goofyernmost

My mom threw out my baseball cards from the late 50's-60's I could not believe it when I went to look for them
My mom didn't throw any of my 50's baseball cards out, however, many a Mickey Mantle Rookie card ended up being a motor sound in the spokes of my bicycle. As a kid I was far more interested in motors then baseball. BTW, if you left them at your parents house for them to take care of after you had left... I don't see that as your mom's fault.

Texas84

There was actually someone scalping the Figments to people who were still in line. Was asking $40.

And I have seen a couple buying their limit of special popcorn buckets. I was dying for a Coke and had to wait for these goofballs. The CM was really annoyed. Guess there was nothing she could do.

rob0519

You can't legislate stupidity away and frankly that's what people are that buy these silly things off ebay. Now I know some kids collect these silly things, and I understand it... kind of like collecting baseball cards when I was a kid... But buying these things on ebay is something adults are doing and it makes no sense. Reminds me of a guy I worked with back when Beanie Babies were all the rage. He and his wife would drive to other cities on weekends trying to complete Beanie Babie collections under the nutty belief that they would continue to go up in value and he would be able to pay for his daughters college with the stupid things..... As you might expect that didn't happen.

I would just like to know why adult buy these silly things? at regular price or off ebay, they seem a big rip.

While some of the merchandise may be silly. There are Disney fans/collectors who may not have the financial or physical ability to get to WDW to but the item. So if they pay $40 for a $15 dollar pin, it's still a substantial savings over a trip to Florida.

Ebay also provideds an opportunity to purchase older items, no longer available at the parks. One of my daughters was born on Earth Day, April 22. For her birthday several years ago, I went on Ebay and bought her a gift that was an opening day limited edition from the opening day of Animal Kingdom on April 22, 1998.

thomas998

While some of the merchandise may be silly. There are Disney fans/collectors who may not have the financial or physical ability to get to WDW to but the item. So if they pay $40 for a $15 dollar pin, it's still a substantial savings over a trip to Florida.

Ebay also provideds an opportunity to purchase older items, no longer available at the parks. One of my daughters was born on Earth Day, April 22. For her birthday several years ago, I went on Ebay and bought her a gift that was an opening day limited edition from the opening day of Animal Kingdom on April 22, 1998.

And you see I understand what you did and the reason for it... kind of like buying an old newspaper from the day someone was born which you are likely going to be paying well above the cover price of the paper to buy.... I get it.

I still think it is silly when grown ups start collecting pins... I've seen my daughter go to some of the pin trading points at EPCOT where I see adults that have probably gotten more money tied up in their pins than the average person has in a car... And I'm sorry I just don't get it.... These people aren't trying to sell the pins, in fact most of them they wouldn't dare sell.... but in the future I can't see these pins being worth much more than they are worth today. I suppose it must just be a hobby... but I just can't get my arms around a hobby that is basically buying tiny little things you can't use, and then having to keep them pretty much locked up in a book so at most you can occasionally flip through the book looking at them... I just boggles my mind as an absolute nutty thing to do.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And you see I understand what you did and the reason for it... kind of like buying an old newspaper from the day someone was born which you are likely going to be paying well above the cover price of the paper to buy.... I get it.

I still think it is silly when grown ups start collecting pins... I've seen my daughter go to some of the pin trading points at EPCOT where I see adults that have probably gotten more money tied up in their pins than the average person has in a car... And I'm sorry I just don't get it.... These people aren't trying to sell the pins, in fact most of them they wouldn't dare sell.... but in the future I can't see these pins being worth much more than they are worth today. I suppose it must just be a hobby... but I just can't get my arms around a hobby that is basically buying tiny little things you can't use, and then having to keep them pretty much locked up in a book so at most you can occasionally flip through the book looking at them... I just boggles my mind as an absolute nutty thing to do.
The thing is you don't need to get it. If someone likes a thing and that thing is not hurting anyone else why spend even a second worrying about the why.

I can't for the life of me understand why someone would spend 17 weeks a year obsessing over a fantasy football team and I don't need to.

Tony the Tigger

There are people who think it's silly for adults (without kids) to go to Disney World at all.

Someone just sold a set of 24 Disney movie related pins on ebay for $4,500. That's not silly.

I guess I object to your judgment of others for what they decide they want to collect. Why should it matter whether you think it's silly or worthwhile? Maybe someone special to them enjoyed Disney pins and they are doing it in remembrance, or were simply inspired by that person, or it reminds the collector of them.

Maybe their Grandmother started them off collecting when they were kids, and they are continuing that collection as adults - maybe eventually for their kids or grandkids, maybe not.

It could be a way to collect Disney stuff that is small and easy to store, and doesn't cost a fortune per piece?

Maybe they enjoy trading pins with others. I'm sure there are folks here who could tell us why and to what extent they collect pins or anything else.

I don't have to understand their motivation, nor do I feel it's cool to criticize or ridicule them. I don't collect pins because I don't enjoy it. I've gotten a few over the years, maybe that's enough for some folks to feel they have started a collection and to keep going with that.

I've collected coins. I've collected stamps. I've collected baseball cards, records, and CD's.

Eventually that turned into a business. That business started by selling CD's on line and now it's a traditional brick and mortar record store. I don't need that to justify what I do, but there it is.

Many people sell things on the side within their hobby to support their buying habits for that hobby. Knowledge is power, in that regard.

That was the best thing about eBay: it equalized the average person and the traditional dealer to a great degree. No longer did you have to bring your used xyz items to a dealer and get paid half the retail price or less for it. Now you could put it on ebay and ask the same price the dealer would ask. And all you had to do was sign up, no investment into rent, remodeling, or anything else - just fees when it sells.

I've heard of people collecting and selling all kinds of things that I didn't know had any value, but they do.

If somebody enjoys something, leave them alone and let them enjoy it.

The thing is you don't need to get it. If someone likes a thing and that thing is not hurting anyone else why spend even a second worrying about the why.

I can't for the life of me understand why someone would spend 17 weeks a year obsessing over a fantasy football team and I don't need to.

Thank you for saying in two sentences what I blabbered on about a lot longer.

thomas998

There are people who think it's silly for adults (without kids) to go to Disney World at all.

Someone just sold a set of 24 Disney movie related pins on ebay for $4,500. That's not silly.

I guess I object to your judgment of others for what they decide they want to collect. Why should it matter whether you think it's silly or worthwhile? Maybe someone special to them enjoyed Disney pins and they are doing it in remembrance, or were simply inspired by that person, or it reminds the collector of them.

Maybe their Grandmother started them off collecting when they were kids, and they are continuing that collection as adults - maybe eventually for their kids or grandkids, maybe not.

It could be a way to collect Disney stuff that is small and easy to store, and doesn't cost a fortune per piece?

Maybe they enjoy trading pins with others. I'm sure there are folks here who could tell us why and to what extent they collect pins or anything else.

I don't have to understand their motivation, nor do I feel it's cool to criticize or ridicule them. I don't collect pins because I don't enjoy it. I've gotten a few over the years, maybe that's enough for some folks to feel they have started a collection and to keep going with that.

I've collected coins. I've collected stamps. I've collected baseball cards, records, and CD's.

Eventually that turned into a business. That business started by selling CD's on line and now it's a traditional brick and mortar record store. I don't need that to justify what I do, but there it is.

Many people sell things on the side within their hobby to support their buying habits for that hobby. Knowledge is power, in that regard.

That was the best thing about eBay: it equalized the average person and the traditional dealer to a great degree. No longer did you have to bring your used xyz items to a dealer and get paid half the retail price or less for it. Now you could put it on ebay and ask the same price the dealer would ask. And all you had to do was sign up, no investment into rent, remodeling, or anything else - just fees when it sells.

I've heard of people collecting and selling all kinds of things that I didn't know had any value, but they do.

If somebody enjoys something, leave them alone and let them enjoy it.

Thank you for saying in two sentences what I blabbered on about a lot longer.

You do realize I'm not saying these people should be locked up... simply voicing an opinion which you are free to agree or disagree with.

John park hopper

My mom didn't throw any of my 50's baseball cards out, however, many a Mickey Mantle Rookie card ended up being a motor sound in the spokes of my bicycle. As a kid I was far more interested in motors then baseball. BTW, if you left them at your parents house for them to take care of after you had left... I don't see that as your mom's fault.
Not saying it was my moms fault parents got divorced and the house was sold. I do remember baseball cards in the spokes of my bike too for that sound

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom