Disney moving New York City flagship store

princess17

This sucks. I'm from NYC and I used to go to these stores. Even though I don't live there anymore, I have always gone for visits and I love to shop!

WDWhumanmap

I am from NYC orginally and I have to say I loved the idea that I didn't have to go to far to go and get Disney World Merchadise.
:cry:

It is sad also that they have to go as far as letting it be just "another" Disney Store (I could say what I really thought but then a) I would be repeating everyone else and b) it wouldn't be nice :zipit: )

Though if it was going to keep the title of World of Disney, I would vote for a store in SoHo. :sohappy: I know tourists might shop in the expensive Times Sq. but if your a New Yorker (let's face facts just like anywhere once tourists leave you lean on the people whom live in the area) you shop in SoHo and the village because that is where most of the stores are. :D Whether your looking for Gap or even Wet Seal to Coach and all the upscaled stores.

I know that is where did a lot of my shopping because I knew it would be more normal price then the jacked up prices of Times Sq. :rolleyes:

BillsFanGabe

It's ashame that they are closing the World of Disney Store in NYC, bc whenever i go down to NY to see the Yankees play I usually make the WOD store one of my important stops.

Skip

So, the 5th Ave store still open? We're heading to NY on Saturday and all my DD is concerned about seeing is the Disney Store. She'll be so disappointed if it's closed.

I was just there yesterday - it's for now alive and well, it should be open. :) Just keep in mind it closes very early (at least it seemed early to me) - 6 PM on Sundays and 8 PM on all other days.

I'm glad I got to see it before it closed! At least it'll likely be moved elsewhere.

-Skip

DABIGCHEEZ

Yep, I agree. At first I thought they were CLOSING. According to the article, they are just looking for a better lease deal to operate.
I think Times Square would in fact be better and more visible.

But I don't see how Times Square could be any cheaper as far as a lease deal is concerned. But this is Disney so we know what kind of power they have.. so we will see.

Every time I have been to the current store.. ther registers are ringing non-stop.

Kamikaze

Also note that the article says "Disney Stores" will be looking for other potential locations. World of Disney is no longer in NYC. The new location will just be another Disney Store with the same old marked down merchandise! No more World of Disney with Walt Disney World stuff!

You're forgetting they bought back The Disney Stores from Children's Place.

wedway71

Curious to see what will happen.

I really dont think they are pulling out of the Market in NYC.

I would think they have a cash cow in NYC.

My question is, will they relocate as a Disney Store under Consumer Products or relocate as a World Of Disney under Parks/Resorts?

When they sold to CP they realized that they had a powerhouse store so changed it to WOD under Parks/Resorts so they wouldnt have to sell it along with the DS chain.Now that they own it again I bet it will go back to a Disney Store but maybe with Flagship/Park Merchandise.

BRER STITCH

GOOD GOLLY!

Whatever happened to comprehension skills?

The article clearly states: "The Disney Stores are going to be reviewing other potential locations in the Manhattan retail market."

It says NOTHING about PLANNING to relocate, or CONSIDERING to relocate, or anything else some folks in earlier posts have "imagined" to talk about.

The store may very well be shuttered for good with no replacement in 2010 if there is no alternative site that meets the profitability test.

When the article appears that says Disney is "planning to relocate" or is "considering to relocate" the old store, please post it for us!

:rolleyes:

bgraham34

Before I read the article I was shocked. I have been in that store even at slow times and there are always people in the store. Not just a few but several. I can understand finding a new location because the rent there is through the roof.

fosse76

GOOD GOLLY!

The article clearly states: "The Disney Stores are going to be reviewing other potential locations in the Manhattan retail market."

It says NOTHING about PLANNING to relocate, or CONSIDERING to relocate, or anything else some folks in earlier posts have "imagined" to talk about.

The store may very well be shuttered for good with no replacement in 2010 if there is no alternative site that meets the profitability test.

When the article appears that says Disney is "planning to relocate" or is "considering to relocate" the old store, please post it for us!

You obviously don't know anything about the New York market. There are two extremely profitable locations Disney could relocate to and be even more profitable without any type of research (their current location is not ideal...I'm surprised they picked it): Times Square and Union Square. New York is the only market that isn't currently being affected by the financial crisis (due to the large number of wealthy people who live here, even when they are doing bad they can still afford their current lifestyle). But Disney moving to Times Square to save money is laughable...it has the most expensive retail rent in the city (Virgin Megastore is being forced out by its greedy landlords). Times Square receives more visitors than Disney World, so I am not surprised they are considering this location...if anything they can move into Virgin's soon-to-be-vacated store.

Ausdaddy

Disney closing New York City flagship store
Aug 9, 2008

Disney has announced their decision not to renew the lease for the World of Disney store located on Fifth Avenue in New York City.

Citing substantial rent increases which would go into effect in 2010, Disney indicated that they are planning to relocate. According to spokesman John Nicoletti "The Disney Stores are going to be reviewing other potential locations in the Manhattan retail market."

Real Estate insiders are expecting Disney to focus on the Times Square area or SoHo which have a strong tourist market. Disney previously had a store in Times Square which is now a Champs outlet.

Robin Abrams, a Lansco Corp. broker and former chairwoman of the retail committee for the Real Estate Board of New York, expects Disney to favor Times Square over SoHo.

“For the most part, [Disney’s] customers are comprised of families and kids—in SoHo, you get a lot of teens and adults who are probably not as provoked to go in and buy a Mickey Mouse shirt,” said Ms. Abrams.

Even a company of Disney’s magnitude is not immune to the current economic downturn. For the nine months ended June 28, Disney reported a 3.8% drop in net income, compared with the same period a year before. Revenue for the nine-month-period ending June 28 increased 6.8%.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080808/FREE/458575539/1072/toc

GOOD GOLLY!

What was that about my reading comprehension? :lol: j/k

hokielutz

I miss the Times Square Store.
It was great to be able to stop in and look around before seeing a show.

I never get over to the 5th Ave Store.

Times square location would be much better for Disney. Far more foot traffic. I never got over to its current location on my visits, except for one time.

iheartdisney91

omg! i was JUST there on... friday! i had no idea this is sad. but i have to say that the past 3 times we went there we didnt end up buying anything

Pens24

I doubt that the World of Disney store is closing in NYC...I was there on sunday and the store was packed with tourists buying disney world merchandise that you can buy in the world of disney store in down town disney...it is in a good spot on 5th av near all the top stores in NYC 2

Miss Bell

Are you talking about the 5th Avenue location? I was just there on Tuesday.:shrug: I am also happy to report that the "Hannah" merchandise was at a minimum.

I'm glad to hear the Hannah merch was low. I went in to my local Disney Store last week and was highly disappointed. There was so much Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Camp Rock, I could hardly find Mickey.

I appreciate that Disney is only marketing what is selling, but as far as the store goes, it does seem like they are losing sight of that fact that it all started with a mouse.

njbuck

A few months ago I heard that the Virgin Megastore was closing in Times Square because the owners of the space were able to rent it to another tenant for more money.

Makes you wonder...

AndyMagic

New York is the only market that isn't currently being affected by the financial crisis (due to the large number of wealthy people who live here, even when they are doing bad they can still afford their current lifestyle).

It's very true that New York City isn't being affected by the financial crisis but it isn't just because wealthy people live here. Perhaps the biggest reason is that 80 percent of New Yorkers use the subway to get to work and don't own cars. I'm not wealthy but have been able to keep my quality of life because I don't have to spend money on gas. Because of this, more and more people from the suburbs are moving into the city and realizing that the money they were saving by living far away from work is being erased by the high cost of gas and commuting. You're right, there is no way Disney would vacate this city. They picked 5th Avenue originally because it was the cleanest most Disney-esque part of Manhattan and Times Square was a dump. Now (thanks in part to Disney themselves) Times Square has become a familiy friendly tourist trap so it makes sense they would want to be there. 5th Avenue is where Prada and Tiffany belong, not Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom