Disney/MGM NEW SHOW Survey - Weird

RSoxNo1

One thing about this that does make sense is that it's location within a park will draw more guests than being located at downtown disney. This is also not unprecedented with separate admission shows at theme parks. The thing that's weird is the seemingly revealing survey question

matthope03

I think a good place for it in the studios would be to place in somewhere along the backlot tour. This would give access to people in MGM and also give outside access. They could also incorporate it with the backlot tour since the show would strictly be at night. Just my opinion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Backlot tour wouldn`t work; you can`t get separate foot access to it from outside. Now, abaout this new area floating around off Western Way. Something to do with shopping, dining and entertainment?

Meeko

When you click on that link it's just an "access denied" page with translations in a bunch of different languages. Weird is right. :veryconfu

Brian Noble

The Blue Man Group announcement might have something to do with this, too. Gotta keep up with the Joneses, and La Nouba is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Epcot82Guy

Backlot tour wouldn`t work; you can`t get separate foot access to it from outside. Now, abaout this new area floating around off Western Way. Something to do with shopping, dining and entertainment?

I agree entirely. A park-like setting with cafes, restaurants, shops, etc. would certainly support a Disney-Broadway show. It also could serve nicely guests off property. I could envision a rotation where the Disney Broadway shows and this mega-Disney show circulate throughout the year. This could prove very successful for on-site, off-site, and local guests and fill a nice void. The problem: getting audiences there.

Skippy2000

Having just had my first trip to California Adventure - and the Aladdin show at the Hyperion Theatre there - my first reaction was: Great! They're planning Hyperion East. But something about the survey kept eating at me. I'm not qualified to comment on the link / domain info in an earlier post, but the survey wording originally posted just doesn't seem to pass the smell test. For example: when was the last time anyone saw Disney describe itself in terms of "the wonderful fairytales for which Disney is famous." Fairytales? The show description closest to this remark has to do with the Black Pearl, and I'm sure Disney doesn't consider PotC as a "fairytale."

The tense is wrong: towards the end of the "survey," the separate admission cost is described in the present tense: "is." A real market research person would make thys hypothetical: "would be." And any duration described as an hour and forty-five minutes seems WAY too precise; "approximately 2 hours" would be the way to describe this - especially for a show in a theatre for which the first scoop of earth has yet to be taken.

Maybe a very junior marketing intern wrote this - or maybe it came from somewhere else. But it doesn't have the polished language that I would associate (and have seen) with Disney research.

Legacy

Ugh, no offense, but I hope it doesn't become a permanent home to OtR. I thought it was thisclose to awful. I loved the music, but the sets and story sucked. I would have much rather just sat and listened to the CD.

My opinion of the actual show aside, I can't see this being a very lucrative option. Didn't OtR shut down the tour midway thru b/c of low ticket sales? I can't imagine that they would expect to make much money off of it in one place when it didn't appeal to a large demographic of people in various cities. Just a thought. *shrugs*

The story to On The Record was actually really interesting... it was just hard to follow being that there is no dialog in it. It suffered from poor ticket sales because it wasn't marketed well... and as a result few people either A) Knew about it or B) knew what it was exactly.

My thought of it was that it would be perfect in a theme park. Condense it to the better segments (Tongue Twister, Cats & Dogs, Hunchback) and you have the potential to have a new, spectacular theme park show reminiscent of the old Kids of the Kingdom.

And I would definitely be all for it if it got rid of BatB.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My guess as to why a DTD location would not be in the works is that I am sure that Disney would have had to have an agreement not to compete on the same scale as La Nouba at DTD. LN is the big boy on the block for DTD. It would not fair as well in my opinion with a major competitor like a Disney Broadway Production.

disney.co.nr

first of all the only plausable place to put this, is in the light motor action stage area. MGM really doesn't have any room for expansion. unless it is going into the indy stage, Which is possible because it can be accesed easily through the back stage entrance to the left of the main enterance.

I was looking on Window's live, and they could accutally expand to a HUGE amount if they move the road just south of the studios. if they did that they could tripple the size of the park.

Meeko

My guess as to why a DTD location would not be in the works is that I am sure that Disney would have had to have an agreement not to compete on the same scale as La Nouba at DTD. LN is the big boy on the block for DTD. It would not fair as well in my opinion with a major competitor like a Disney Broadway Production.

I'm sure they have that non-compete because they even have one with the AMC movie theater which prevents them from building their own theater or a drive-in in the MGM parking lot, if you've heard about that proposed plan. I would think that it would be very risky for a company like Cirque to set up shop on property without some protection that Disney won't pop up a Broadway show next door.

PhilharMagician

There is also the rumored Western Way shopping district.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom