Disney/MGM NEW SHOW Survey - Weird

MKeeler

I have been thinking for a while Disney really needs its own fully-functional Broadway scale theater on property. Three touring musicals, three musicals on Broadway (or soon to be), a Disney musical revue they could bring back and one they could transfer over from Germany (Bellringer). It would be a perfect location to bring each of these (and maybe the permanent home for a revival of On the Record). Even the new show talked about in the survey would be cool.
However, I do agree that if this is going to require a separate admission, I would rather see this as a separate location from any park, maybe closer to Downtown Disney.

steamboat_will

I have been thinking for a while Disney really needs its own fully-functional Broadway scale theater on property. Three touring musicals, three musicals on Broadway (or soon to be), a Disney musical revue they could bring back and one they could transfer over from Germany (Bellringer). It would be a perfect location to bring each of these (and maybe the permanent home for a revival of On the Record). Even the new show talked about in the survey would be cool.
However, I do agree that if this is going to require a separate admission, I would rather see this as a separate location from any park, maybe closer to Downtown Disney.

agreed about the need to have a "permanent home" to disney on broadway.

however, the additional cost and location trouble me.

on a side note,why don't they remove BatB in MGM and put On The Record? (an abbreviated 30 min version, of course) It would seem to fit with the "recording studio theme" of RnRC and would be slightly less to produce (more $ for real singers, less # of actors on stage).

i think Disney would be smart to put a permanent home to their growing Disney Broadway musicals, but they need to be careful about how and where.

mkepcotmgmak

Hi all! This is a great rumor - thanks for sharing! I would like to throw my two-cents in on this...

IF this is true, and IF this gets built, you guys (and gals) are going to have to think much bigger! This is something that Disney has never done before in a park, and it will probably be a HUGE success...

While it may stink to have to pay extra while inside the park - it would be the same as moving La Nouba (which runs great success) inside a park...Think of all of the Guests (and non Disney Guests) that watch La Nouba - same concept, just happens to be in one of the theme parks (with great architectural themeing to fit the park's themeing...) If any of you have seen a true Broadway show, you have to compare this to that...

This is not Fantasmic 2, or an extended version of Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage (or even the caliber of the new Nemo musical at DAK)... this sounds like a huge Broadway production... they would have to charge extra to pay the tech. crew, the actors (much more than standard Disney equity), and everyone else involved... it just happens that this theater would sit inside a theme park. You would probably have just as many Guests enter the theater without ever buying a ticket (that day) to MGM as you would those that are already in the park...

I don't think a lot of you realize (although this is just a rumor) how HUGE this would be... huge in scale of show-biz, that is. It's not your typical theme park show - it's Broadway, in a theme park.

Piebald

Once I was working with a woman who had picked up an extra shift with me and normally she worked in the costuming department at MGM. She was telling me about all of the costumes for Finding Nemo, the new MK shows and some of the costumes she had worked on in the past (she had been working at the Studios since it had opened).

This was over the summer and she mentioned they had been working on costumes for a new MGM show. She said she had absolutely no idea what it was for as they just were told to design some new costumes. She was very, very knowledgable about costumes found throughout the park(s) and pointed out some costumes she had personally worked on (Fantasmic Sorcerer Mickey,etc). To this day I am still wondering what she was talking about as far as the "new MGM show"...

brkgnews

I tend to lean toward shenanigans myself. Not neccessarily at the original poster, but rather at the survey itself.

When have you EVER known Imagineering to tip its hand like this? Especially at something apparently this groundbreaking?

Not only are they admitting there would be a new attraction, they're giving away infinite details, including location (at least the park), pricing status (hard-ticket), and other crucial details that the competition would be foaming at the mouth to have.

Doesn't seem very biz-savvy. It may very well be legit... but dang, it sounds fishy for this much info to be out in a preliminary survey.

I would think the preliminary survey would ask about one aspect -- would you see a show about this? OR what park would best host a show like this? OR would you pay extra to see a great show? I don't see everything being in onme survey about it.

I think the original poster may have been the victim of a buddy who knows he/she would be very interested in such a thing.

Just my pointless judgement ;) Nonetheless, thanks for posting it!

DisneyJill

Ugh, no offense, but I hope it doesn't become a permanent home to OtR. I thought it was thisclose to awful. I loved the music, but the sets and story sucked. I would have much rather just sat and listened to the CD.

My opinion of the actual show aside, I can't see this being a very lucrative option. Didn't OtR shut down the tour midway thru b/c of low ticket sales? I can't imagine that they would expect to make much money off of it in one place when it didn't appeal to a large demographic of people in various cities. Just a thought. *shrugs*

JimboJones123

Actually, I can't think of a better place to put it though. DTD is already too busy, and they wouldn't want all the common folk at the GF or POLY if they build a theater there.

kachow

The main key is quality. If the shows are of broadway quality then I see no reason why this couldn't work. Go to Brown Derby for a nice pre-theatre meal and then head to a broadway quality show. If it's of the quality of the current in-park musical shows - like Lion King or Tarzan was - then I wouldn't be interested. Those shows are fine, but not for a seperate admission.

It would need to even be a notch above the Aladin show in CA. The theatre there is probably nice enough, but the show is still a little shlockey compared to true broadway quality fare.

teebin

Below is an excerpt from a survey I received today via e-mail about a potential new attraction at Disney/MGM Studios. Based on the survey, the show will carry a separate admission price that seemed (to me, at least) cost prohibitive. What do you all make of it? Cool? Garbage?

What is the URL website address of this survey? Copy the link you clicked on in the email and paste it here for us to look at.

Empress Room

I tend to lean toward shenanigans myself. Not neccessarily at the original poster, but rather at the survey itself.

When have you EVER known Imagineering to tip its hand like this? Especially at something apparently this groundbreaking?

Not only are they admitting there would be a new attraction, they're giving away infinite details, including location (at least the park), pricing status (hard-ticket), and other crucial details that the competition would be foaming at the mouth to have.

Doesn't seem very biz-savvy. It may very well be legit... but dang, it sounds fishy for this much info to be out in a preliminary survey.

I would think the preliminary survey would ask about one aspect -- would you see a show about this? OR what park would best host a show like this? OR would you pay extra to see a great show? I don't see everything being in onme survey about it.

I think the original poster may have been the victim of a buddy who knows he/she would be very interested in such a thing.

Just my pointless judgement ;) Nonetheless, thanks for posting it!

I, too, question the validity of this "survey." The wording of the posted excerpt is not exactly grammatically smooth - which in my experience is very un-Disney. The style and phrases used makes me very suspicious indeed (e.g. why does the author place the trademark sign next to the Walt Disney World reference at all, and why wouldn't he place it next to every "Disney" reference - it's inconsistent. Further, Disney would not say "our property" to describe the resort and certainly wouldn't have so many poorly structured and incomplete sentences in its official releases).

As an aside, I have taken many Disney online surveys in the past - from my WDW trips, from the cruiseline and from the Vacation Club. Without exception, the survey invitations were sent via postcard through first class mail with a code and website to input. I have never received one in my "inbox" without a hard invitation to participate preceding it. Moreover, the surveys are very short in narrative style.

SpectroMan

The only way I could see this happening is if La Nouba would close, and Cirque would not create another show. Already, Disney is stressed at getting La Nouba full twice a night.

The same people who go see La Nouba would now have to decide between two productions because WDW is already an expensive place, and many people will not spend money on going see both shows.

La Nouba has many repeat customers. Is Disney willing to give up these repeat customers at La Nouba for a new Disney show in the same price range? The amount of money made on a new Disney show would not pay for the amount of headaches that it would cause to get both theatres full every night.

Thelazer

I could see La Nuba, getting a make over to a new show.. but not something like this at MGM.

Intresting that this comes out, right as there is much talk about BMG at Uni.

Ears to you

We Pay enuff

Why should we have to pay x-tra for this?:confused: If Disney keeps adding these x-tra priced attr. the parks will be left to fail while you will be buying hand full of x-tra show tickets.:mad: People demand to get what they pay for so all money would be put into these shows and all of our favorates will get the leftovers.:veryconfu I love the thuoght of the new show but if you give in to the x-tra coast the they got you every new atterction will have a price.:brick:

Buried20KLeague

I, too, question the validity of this "survey." The wording of the posted excerpt is not exactly grammatically smooth - which in my experience is very un-Disney. The style and phrases used makes me very suspicious indeed (e.g. why does the author place the trademark sign next to the Walt Disney World reference at all, and why wouldn't he place it next to every "Disney" reference - it's inconsistent. Further, Disney would not say "our property" to describe the resort and certainly wouldn't have so many poorly structured and incomplete sentences in its official releases).

As an aside, I have taken many Disney online surveys in the past - from my WDW trips, from the cruiseline and from the Vacation Club. Without exception, the survey invitations were sent via postcard through first class mail with a code and website to input. I have never received one in my "inbox" without a hard invitation to participate preceding it. Moreover, the surveys are very short in narrative style.

Well, there's 3 of us that are in agreement this isn't accurate at least... :lol: I'm kinda surprised at everyone jumping on the bandwagon here... The folks on this site usually make a living out of blowing holes in crazy rumors! :hammer:

The OP needs to put the link in here if this is accurate, at the very least. I asked earlier what QUESTION was even asked regarding this show since it was supposedly part of a survey, and got no response. I mean, what did they do?? Put this big long description of something that MIGHT POSSIBLY come to MGM, including minute details, and then at the end ask "So... Should we build it??" :lol: Please. That doesn't happen. The last people the Imagineers ask about potential new projects on drawing boards is us, and they wouldn't reveal such detail about a potential project for fear of competition at the very least.

On top of that, it makes no sense. A permanent show of broadway caliber, placed INSIDE a park, but that yet requires a hard ticket to enter. Ain't gonna happen. They'd put something like this separate like with Cirque, if it was even a possibility. The logistics would be much more difficult in a park than if it were to stand on it's own, and if it were a separate hard ticket event, having the show in the park would serve no purpose as it wouldn't in theory increase attendance... Because attendance alone doesn't get you in the show. Let me say again... Ain't gonna happen.

The one thing I will give the OP is that you can receive e-mails from WDW that point you to a link to take a survey. It doesn't have to be note cards in the mail anymore. But none the less... SHENANNIGANS!!!!

If you want to start a conversation about the possibility of something like this coming to WDW just to get a conversation going, try the General Discussion section. Not news and rumors. :wave:

LilRoo714

Maybe this thread belongs in the Imagineer area. :rolleyes:

If it is made up, congrats to the OP for having such a great, debatable, creative idea.:wave:

Walt_Disney

This "survey" is a fraud. Disney would never send out a survey with such detail, especially for something so groundbreaking. If it really is real, then provide the URL for the survey. But I bet that will never happen, since you made it up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom