Disney may have interest in Sea World

hokielutz

Personally, I home Disney passes on this purchasing opportunity. If they do anything... lead the company along in order to raise the price for other suitors.

Crazy Harry

I find this buyout unlikely for the simple reason that it is not on Disney property. The whole point of having the WDW resort is to keep guests on property and isolate them from the other Orlando area attractions. Certainly this doesn't prevent many guests from venturing elsewhere, but having an offsite park creates an excuse to enjoy other offsite attractions. Of course, on the other hand, if you could convince those who would normally visit seaworld anyway to stay onsite by providing a shuttle to and from the offsite property, you could increase occupancy. I guess I glad I don't have to call the shots cause it could go either way IMO :animwink:.

RSoxNo1

Considering the animals involved, I doubt that would be possible.

Shutting them down wouldn't mean ignoring the property. What it would probably mean would be selling off of the coasters and other rides (or perhaps even moving them to Disney Parks around the world). The same would hold true of the animals. You could see some in Night Kingdom, Animal Kingdom or in zoos around the country that aren't Disney related.

With all that said, I didn't realize that the Madame Tousseau's company (Blackstone I believe it is) owns part of Universal Studios Orlando. It would seem that if they wound up with it, it could convert Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Sea World, Discovery Cove, and Aquatica into a resort that is better suited to compete with Disney. As has been discussed with regards to other steps Universal has been taking (Harry Potter), I love the competition, and welcome the idea of theme park wars that will theoretically increase the quality of the products being offered to guests

The Pauper

The Sea World property is not so far from Disney property to make this idea far-fetched. From Downtown Disney, it is only about 6 miles to Sea World. The WDW transportation system is more than capable of transporting guests to and from the Sea World resort without having them see the "outside world".

devoy1701

The Sea World property is not so far from Disney property to make this idea far-fetched. From Downtown Disney, it is only about 6 miles to Sea World. The WDW transportation system is more than capable of transporting guests to and from the Sea World resort without having them see the "outside world".

no it's not. the portion of I-4 between WDW and Sea World is almost always gridlocked (or moving no faster than 15-20mph) Roundtrip by bus would take probably about 90 minutes. And that's only if they bus was heading to and from one location...if a bus has multiple stops (ie: Wilderness Lodge, Ft Wilderness, Contemporary) you're talking about an hour-long ride each way.

and how are they going to keep them from seeing the outside world? is disney supposed to buy all the property along a certain route between WDW Resort and Sea World and put up walls and topiaries?

Eyorefan

Shutting them down wouldn't mean ignoring the property. What it would probably mean would be selling off of the coasters and other rides (or perhaps even moving them to Disney Parks around the world). The same would hold true of the animals. You could see some in Night Kingdom, Animal Kingdom or in zoos around the country that aren't Disney related.

I'm with you for most of that, but how many places in the world are set up to care for killer whales? And its not like they only have one. I would guess there are probably 20 whales spread between the 3 parks.

So I guess, that's my question. If SeaWorld ever shut down (for any reason) what on earth would you do with 20 very high profile whales?

devoy1701

submarines

Or...they would expand the Sascagula (sp?) River all the way to Sea World...the dredging would create excess dirt (think MK Utilidors)...and there are our new above ground, underground tunnels...though a bit conspicuous I guess....a 6 mile long 10ft tall by 20ft wide mound...

I still hold true to my walls and topiaries to shield the guests from the outside world while traveling to Sea World.

Kamikaze

Disney may not be able to purchase Universal because on the monopoly rule. Sea World is water based theamed park where WDW and Universal are very similar.

Just ... no.

You're saying that if Universal had never built, WDW would have to split up because it was a monopoly?

Monopoly laws pretty much only apply when it is a NEEDED resource.

RSoxNo1

I'm with you for most of that, but how many places in the world are set up to care for killer whales? And its not like they only have one. I would guess there are probably 20 whales spread between the 3 parks.

So I guess, that's my question. If SeaWorld ever shut down (for any reason) what on earth would you do with 20 very high profile whales?

Perhaps they could come up with a script for Free Willy 2, and then have a corresponding promotion where 20 lucky movie patrons win a free Orca Whale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom