News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It was. Hospitals across the country were turning away their usual roster of patients because they were using all available space for Covid patients, including hallways.
This is a bit of an exaggeration. There were incidents where this occurred. But it wasn't as widespread or over long periods of time that your post makes it out to be. I do get that logistically it was a nightmare and it put a lot of strain on workers. Now, from what I understand, the hospital systems in Canada and the UK did not really do as well.

Otterhead

No need to be flippant. My job was affected by what happened. Some hospitals were overwhelmed, some weren't.

I can assure every hospital was helping and doing the best they can. That doesn't change the fact that some could have operated status quo. That should be taken into consideration going forward.
I'm not being flippant, I'm being serious. If there were hospitals that were so under-attended that they were laying off staff, it's strange that they didn't take on some of the Covid caseload from others. I agree that it's an unusual situation and a learning experience for the future; it's very difficult for states or counties to take individual hospitals' situations into account when the hospitals are being operated for-profit and often don't share their patient load data.

Rob562

I wouldn’t count on it. it probably works agains them on this one. Larger the company, the more who slip thought the process.

Employers won’t force for real or perceived future legal challenges. Employees aren’t always honest. Handful of companies I know that went the volunteer your info and you can be maskeless, but your manager can’t ask route are complete dumpster fires right now as far as that process goes. I’ve said it a few times here, all most companies will do is follow the official published guidance and point to it as a defense. Right or wrong as the case may be.

I work in higher education. My employer mandated that all students, staff and faculty working on-campus must be vaccinated. While our direct managers could not ask our vaccine status, we had to submit scans of our vaccination cards securely to the university's health services.
Apart from a few minor hiccups (the time it took them to process the sudden rush of submissions, not telling people they needed to submit a pdf and not a pic using their cell phone, etc) it's gone quite smoothly, and I haven't heard of any real pushback for the requirements.

We're still masking in all indoor situations, and we Covid test once a week.

-Rob

pdude81

I'm not being flippant, I'm being serious. If there were hospitals that were so under-attended that they were laying off staff, it's strange that they didn't take on some of the Covid caseload from others. I agree that it's an unusual situation and a learning experience for the future; it's very difficult for states or counties to take individual hospitals' situations into account when the hospitals are being operated for-profit and often don't share their patient load data.
I believe in some cases there is no way to schedule procedures and operating rooms given the intensive care needs and ventilator needs of the covid wards. It ended up being that they prioritized the lives of the sick over those who may be able to push off some less serious issues.

At the pet hospital they don't just mix in the dogs with kennel cough with the ones that are in for a tooth removal, if you catch my drift. They have to have systems in place to isolate large numbers of people with viral infections from the rest. And modern hospitals just aren't designed for that.

Not my background but I have read about some of the issues pertaining to this in the past. The difficulties were both in separating patients and rationing care by limited staff of certain disciplines available at the time.

lhbb

I’m sure this has been an answered somewhere but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer.

Anyone have a resource / link to what if anything can be done about canceling tickets if masks come back?

JusticeDisney

And I suppose smokers with lung cancer and clubbers who overdose on drugs should also be turned away.

Some of the things that get posted here are just beyond belief.
It’s called self accountability. Look it up.

Listen, if you want to feel bad for a person who refuses a covid vaccine and then gets covid and ultimately suffers from it, knock yourself out. I won’t be sharing in your sentiments, however. People get what they deserve.

pdude81

I’m sure this has been an answered somewhere but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer.

Anyone have a resource / link to what if anything can be done about canceling tickets if masks come back?
If you have a package, then you can cancel a package. As far as I know, tickets are non-refundable and you'd just trade them in down the road when masks aren't required, should you choose to come back.

Chip Chipperson

I didn't say he didn't talk about long COVID. I said he wasn't talking about the risks to children under 12 who can't be vaccinated.

With respect to hospitals I was talking about hospitals unable to take patients due to being completely full. Some make it sound like a common occurrence that was happening frequently.
As far as hospitals are concerned, having a full ICU is about as bad as it can get since those are the patients most at risk of death. So having a full ICU means a non-COVID patient at risk of death may be sent elsewhere - and as we saw in El Paso and are seeing in central FL, if 1 ICU in an area is full or close to full then the others are probably close to full, too. So they may not be turning away elective surgeries or patients who don't need intensive care, but I'm not sure how a full ICU could be viewed as anything but a negative thing.

For long COVID: So you want Fauci quotes about children. Here you go:

First one is from last August: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/sa...ony-fauci-warns-of-covid-19-long-term-effects

Dr. Fauci spoke on how many young adults and children who have had a “mild” case of COVID-19 still experience an extended recovery period from all symptoms.

“We’d better be careful when we say ‘Young people who don’t wind up in the hospital are fine, let them get infected, it’s OK.’ No, it’s not OK,” Dr. Fauci said during the event.

He went on to say that those who don’t need hospitalization and are predominantly healthy can end up in bed for two or three weeks with the virus. They could also have residual symptoms for weeks or sometimes months longer.

A little more recently (May 2021): https://www.cbsnews.com/news/anthony-fauci-covid-vaccine-kids/

However, he did say it was "very important" that kids did get the vaccine when they can — and that cases of young people getting "into serious trouble" with the virus are rare but possible.

"At a very low rate — but serious trouble," he said.

Since the pandemic, some hospitals around the country have opened pediatric COVID "long hauler" units for children who experience symptoms weeks or even months after their infection.

"The other aspect of it that they need to understand, is that when children get infected — even though they may not, in fact, get serious illness — they could inadvertently and innocently pass the infection on to someone else, perhaps another member of the family who is vulnerable and could get in trouble," Fauci said.

This one from May isn't Fauci, but cites the CDC: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...navirus-proving-more-serious-risk-to-children

Since new variants of the virus have raced through younger populations, cases of long-haul Covid among them have jumped, along with multisystem inflammatory syndrome, or MIS-C, a condition that can inflame the heart, lungs, brain and other organs. The CDC says 3,742 children in the U.S. have been diagnosed with the syndrome, but that number is likely low because the data relies on voluntary reporting from overburdened hospitals and state health departments — unnerving news for parents of unvaccinated children under 12. Most MIS-C cases have occurred in children ages 5 to 14, according to the CDC.

Otterhead

Last I heard fox was asking employees to voluntarily report vaccination info if they didn’t want to continue to follow protocols. They weren’t forcing anyone.
Their employees are required to follow Covid testing protocols and can bypass them if they volunteer their vaccination info. So it leads to the irony of the hosts of their programs warning America of the evils of companies asking for your vaccination info while themselves offering it up to their employer.

lhbb

Also it depends on how you purchased them what your options to transfer or sell might be.
I have a handful of 2 day passes purchased direct from the site :/ I’m very much hoping they don’t bring masks back. Did the masks thing 2xs (March and April), and it was so much better without (June)

EeyoreFan#24

Their employees are required to follow Covid testing protocols and can bypass them if they volunteer their vaccination info. So it leads to the irony of the hosts of their programs warning America of the evils of companies asking for your vaccination info while themselves offering it up to their employer.

Ah, I missed your point before. Yes, on that piece irony at it’s finest.

pdude81

I have a handful of 2 day passes purchased direct from the site :/ I’m very much hoping they don’t bring masks back. Did the masks thing 2xs (March and April), and it was so much better without (June)
Gotcha. You are likely to be holding onto those then until you use them, whenever that is. Otherwise you can find someone to sell to and would have to add them to your friends and family to reassign. That can be risky though if not someone you know. If you don't want to use them, you can hold onto them and use towards an AP down the road when they become available again

HeartOfTeFiti

If you purchased them outright, rather than putting a deposit on a package (in which case you can just cancel the package and have your deposit refunded) your best bet is to call and speak to a cast member. They have been pretty generous about refunds since this all started.

Witchy Chick

Why do you (or I), who are vaccinated care. If people don't want to get vaccinated and have a high risk of getting severely ill, that's their incredibly bad decision.

I could understand your side of the argument before vaccines were readily available but not now that they are.

On a micro-level, my vaccinated self cares about non-vax’d folks as they could be the crack in the armor that infects MY currently unvax’d kid.

On a macro-level, my vaccinated self generally cares about society as a whole. I feel for Kid Schmo whose parents Joe and Joanne Schmo are eligible but refuse to get vax’d. Or refuse to mask themselves or their unvax’d child. I feel for all people who are not able to get vax’d due to underlying medical conditions.

Hospitals don’t make money off of Covid cases (or most emergent care cases). Hospitals make money off of elective surgeries. Underutilized hospitals taking on Covid overflow patients would not have helped monetary/financial losses. The hospital that postponed my mom’s elective knee surgery in March 2020 lost money by treating Covid patients instead of her.

Same goes now with the spikes being seen across the country. Some hospitals, once again, are having to cancel elective surgeries to treat (or have room for future) Covid cases.

Because that's what members of a civilised society do.

Members of civilized society protect their most vulnerable. It is a sad state of affairs that protecting the vulnerable from contracting a deadly disease only “works” when protections are mandated, rather than voluntarily implemented.

Trauma

On a micro-level, my vaccinated self cares about non-vax’d folks as they could be the crack in the armor that infects MY currently unvax’d kid.

On a macro-level, my vaccinated self generally cares about society as a whole. I feel for Kid Schmo whose parents Joe and Joanne Schmo are eligible but refuse to get vax’d. Or refuse to mask themselves or their unvax’d child. I feel for all people who are not able to get vax’d due to underlying medical conditions.

Hospitals don’t make money off of Covid cases (or most emergent care cases). Hospitals make money off of elective surgeries. Underutilized hospitals taking on Covid overflow patients would not have helped monetary/financial losses. The hospital that postponed my mom’s elective knee surgery in March 2020 lost money by treating Covid patients instead of her.

Same goes now with the spikes being seen across the country. Some hospitals, once again, are having to cancel elective surgeries to treat (or have room for future) Covid cases.

Because that's what members of a civilised society do.

Members of civilized society protect their most vulnerable. It is a sad state of affairs that protecting the vulnerable from contracting a deadly disease only “works” when protections are mandated, rather than voluntarily implemented.
Fair enough how long do we protect them for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom