News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

runnsally

The below is from Medical News Today (and appears to be from early 2020).

My layman's interpretation is that dirty masks can cause problems, so be sure to clean your masks regularly.

Just like you should wash your clothes regularly, change your bedsheets regularly, wash your hands regularly, etc.

Note that this is very different than claiming "masks spread certain diseases."

COVID-19 and face masks: To wear or not to wear?​

Many countries around the world recommend that people wear masks in public as part of their strategy to curb the pandemic. We look at why some people do not wear masks and discuss what scientific evidence says about wearing them.

In this Special Feature article, we explore four reasons why some people choose not to wear masks. We look at the claims behind these in the context of the scientific evidence that is available today.

3. Masks may increase risk of infection​

Claim: Masks can become contaminated very quickly, and every time the wearer breathes in, they inhale contaminants

Masks can be a source of infection for the person wearing them, according to the WHO.

A 2017 study involving 16 healthcare professionals showed that self-contamination was common when the volunteers were putting on and removing medical-grade personal protective equipment.

The CDC recommend that people do not touch their face covering while wearing a face mask in public and that they wash their hands if they do so accidentally.

Medical-grade masks block microorganisms from reaching the wearer’s nose and mouth. It is not clear whether this applies to homemade face coverings as well.

In a recent study, which as not yet undergone peer review, researchers tested different fabrics to see how many different sized droplets would pass through.

“We found that most home fabrics substantially block droplets, even as a single layer. With two layers, blocking performance can reach that of a surgical mask without significantly compromising breathability,” the authors wrote in the manuscript.

Claim: Masks can lead to pneumonia or other lung infections

There is no evidence indicating that masks increase the wearer’s risk of developing pneumonia or other bacterial, viral, or fungal lung infections.

The WHO acknowledge that if a person wears the same mask for a long time, microorganisms may grow on the fabric.

The CDC recommend that a person removes the face covering once they return home and washes it before using it again.

“All masks should be changed if wet or visibly soiled; a wet mask should not be worn for an extended period of time. […] Either discard the mask or place it in a sealable bag where it is kept until it can be washed and cleaned,” the WHO advise.
I only trust Medical News Tonight

Basil of Baker Street

So not a disease or anything but I had a stye that wouldn't go away and my optometrist said they have seen a significant increase in styes and chalazions(which is what i had) to what he thinks is due to breath exhale exiting the top of the mask into your eyes. Makes sense when you think about it.

Polkadotdress

So not a disease or anything but I had a stye that wouldn't go away and my optometrist said they have seen a significant increase in styes and chalazions(which is what i had) to what he thinks is due to breath exhale exiting the top of the mask into your eyes. Makes sense when you think about it.
Oh! I recently had one too. But before that, it was years when I last experienced a stye.

HairyChest

Universal dropping masks indoors Saturday would have to make Disney respond. My only reservation would be if Disney has an agreement with the CM unions to require masks indoors until they give the OK? Although the quick change in mask policy outdoors a few weeks ago makes me think the unions either don’t have a agreement about it or its all based on CDC/ local mandates and NOT waiting for an ok from the unions.

Creathir

All those poor doctors and nurses who wind up with diseases from the masks they have to wear during surgery.

Next time you are having surgery, tell your surgical team it's ok if they don't wear a mask.
Not to nitpick, but they do put on a new/clean mask for each surgery.

The idea of the mask is to prevent bacteria (not viruses) from being transmitted from the doctor to the patient and their open wound.

SoFloMagic

The idea of the mask is to prevent bacteria (not viruses) from being transmitted from the doctor to the patient and their open wound.
I mean I think the CDC made it clear that they are to be used as a disposable product. And that cloth masks should be used once before washing. Bad hygiene can cause issues, whether is masks, dental care, showering, etc.

But even still, any issues potentially caused by masks are certainly less severe than covid.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Universal dropping masks indoors Saturday would have to make Disney respond. My only reservation would be if Disney has an agreement with the CM unions to require masks indoors until they give the OK? Although the quick change in mask policy outdoors a few weeks ago makes me think the unions either don’t have a agreement about it or its all based on CDC/ local mandates and NOT waiting for an ok from the unions.
After the initial COVID lockdown, UO reopened on June 6.

WDW responded by reopening... July 15, five and half weeks later.

WDW is running at their capacity to handle the crowds with the labor available to them. WDW doesn't have to entice people to the parks with the promise of being mask-free indoors.

If anything, WDW won't respond to what UO is doing, but to what their own guests are whining about.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

To purposefully nitpick... if *anyone* isn't putting on clean masks on a regular basis... eww.

I know why surgical teams wear masks. The point is, wearing mask for them doesn't give them diseases.

People wearing masks to prevent shedding virus can also not get diseases from the masks by regularly putting on new disposable ones, or washing the reusable ones. Just like a surgical team.

Do they need to be told to change their underwear, too?

And I'm calling shenanigans on the idea that surgical masks are only to prevent spreading bacteria. Are you saying that if there were no bacterial infections, surgical teams wouldn't still mask-up to prevent spreading cold or flu viruses to their patients?

HairyChest

After the initial COVID lockdown, UO reopened on June 6.

WDW responded by reopening... July 15, five and half weeks later.

WDW is running at their capacity to handle the crowds with the labor available to them. WDW doesn't have to entice people to the parks with the promise of being mask-free indoors.

If anything, WDW won't respond to what UO is doing, but to what their own guests are whining about.
Did they remove outdoor mask mandates right after Universal did to entice people?

WDW opened 5 weeks later because of how big of an operation they have and to get prepared for opening. If they could have, they would've opened in June.

Universals been busy, hitting capacity on weekends, they don’t need to entice people.

Creathir

To purposefully nitpick... if *anyone* isn't putting on clean masks on a regular basis... eww.

I know why surgical teams wear masks. The point is, wearing mask for them doesn't give them diseases.

People wearing masks to prevent shedding virus can also not get diseases from the masks by regularly putting on new disposable ones, or washing the reusable ones. Just like a surgical team.

And I'm calling shenanigans on the idea that surgical masks are only to prevent spreading bacteria. Are you saying that if there were no bacterial infections, surgical teams wouldn't still mask-up to prevent spreading cold or flu viruses to their patients?
Study after study after study for decades has shown viruses are not prevented by surgical masks.
They are too small, a virus cannot be stopped by it. Bacteria however are a magnitude larger than a virus is. They can be stopped by the masks.
Here is an article about the effectiveness of it in regards to influenza:

And while I agree, it is icky if people are not using clean masks, the reality of the situation, guaranteed, is far from not icky. People are gross, masks get reused and not cleaned every few hours.

And here is a scientific study which discusses the purpose of a surgical mask in the OR:

Last edited:

correcaminos

Study after study after study for decades has shown viruses are not prevented by surgical masks.
They are too small, a virus cannot be stopped by it. Bacteria however are a magnitude larger than a virus is. They can be stopped by the masks.

And while I agree, it is icky if people are not using clean masks, the reality of the situation, guaranteed, is far from not icky. People are gross, masks get reused and not cleaned every few hours.
I could list many reputable sources saying masks reduce virus transmission too.

Creathir

I could list many reputable sources saying masks reduce virus transmission too.
Isn’t that the point?
There is huge disagreement on it within the scientific community.

If something cannot be proven out in one direction or the other, why bother with it in the first place?

Frankly it’s a stupid argument anyway, given the mask mandates are gone and the parks are lifting the requirements for them.

DisneyCane

Unfortunately since bacteria do exist we will never know. However, the reason masks and hats are worn by surgery staff is to prevent infecting open incisions, not to keep patients from getting a cold or the flu. The gloves work both ways to prevent transmission of bloodborne viruses or bacteria.

Pre-COVID, doctors and nurses didn't wear masks all the time when seeing patients even in the ICU. Healthcare providers who didn't get a flu shot were usually required to during flu season. Other than that, there was never any particular concern about trying not to give a patient a cold.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The below is from Medical News Today (and appears to be from early 2020).

My layman's interpretation is that dirty masks can cause problems, so be sure to clean your masks regularly.

Just like you should wash your clothes regularly, change your bedsheets regularly, wash your hands regularly, etc.

Note that this is very different than claiming "masks spread certain diseases."

COVID-19 and face masks: To wear or not to wear?​

Many countries around the world recommend that people wear masks in public as part of their strategy to curb the pandemic. We look at why some people do not wear masks and discuss what scientific evidence says about wearing them.

In this Special Feature article, we explore four reasons why some people choose not to wear masks. We look at the claims behind these in the context of the scientific evidence that is available today.

3. Masks may increase risk of infection​

Claim: Masks can become contaminated very quickly, and every time the wearer breathes in, they inhale contaminants

Masks can be a source of infection for the person wearing them, according to the WHO.

A 2017 study involving 16 healthcare professionals showed that self-contamination was common when the volunteers were putting on and removing medical-grade personal protective equipment.

The CDC recommend that people do not touch their face covering while wearing a face mask in public and that they wash their hands if they do so accidentally.

Medical-grade masks block microorganisms from reaching the wearer’s nose and mouth. It is not clear whether this applies to homemade face coverings as well.

In a recent study, which as not yet undergone peer review, researchers tested different fabrics to see how many different sized droplets would pass through.

“We found that most home fabrics substantially block droplets, even as a single layer. With two layers, blocking performance can reach that of a surgical mask without significantly compromising breathability,” the authors wrote in the manuscript.

Claim: Masks can lead to pneumonia or other lung infections

There is no evidence indicating that masks increase the wearer’s risk of developing pneumonia or other bacterial, viral, or fungal lung infections.

The WHO acknowledge that if a person wears the same mask for a long time, microorganisms may grow on the fabric.

The CDC recommend that a person removes the face covering once they return home and washes it before using it again.

“All masks should be changed if wet or visibly soiled; a wet mask should not be worn for an extended period of time. […] Either discard the mask or place it in a sealable bag where it is kept until it can be washed and cleaned,” the WHO advise.
"A 2017 study involving 16 healthcare professionals showed that self-contamination was common when the volunteers were putting on and removing medical-grade personal protective equipment."

If a mask is so contaminated that you could be self-contaminated while removing it, then you probably would have been infected anyway if you didn't wear the mask.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here is an article about the effectiveness of it in regards to influenza:

And here is a scientific study which discusses the purpose of a surgical mask in the OR:

A lot of the previous mask studies, including the one in the article only looked at how the mask protected the wearer, they did not look at the impact of putting masks on the person who is infected.

Creathir

A lot of the previous mask studies, including the one in the article only looked at how the mask protected the wearer, they did not look at the impact of putting masks on the person who is infected.
Many also looked at the effectiveness of controlling the spread of a virus within the general population.
They found there was no discernible effectiveness.

We don’t need studies even to see the in effectiveness on full display. Places with early mask mandates still had huge rises in COVID. Places with no mask mandates also had huge rises in COVID. In some instances mask mandates were instituted and the COVID rates immediately went up (I don’t believe there is a connection, but rather that it just goes to show how pointless the mandates were)

Not going to rehash all of this nonsense over and over and over again.

If someone feels safer wearing a mask, wear it! No one is stopping you.
The rest of us are moving on though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom