News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

arich35

As someone who has been in the sign business for many, many years and been responsible for signage in the real world, including in hospitals, apartment complexes, on streets and highways, etc etc...let me ask you a question.

What do you think the odds are that a high percentage of people will notice a sign? What do you think the odds are that everyone who sees the sign will do what it says?
You can have the sign and also have the cast member who usually stands at the front of the queue give a reminder if someone doesn't have their mask on while getting in line.

Chi84

Premium Member
You can have the sign and also have the cast member who usually stands at the front of the queue give a reminder if someone doesn't have their mask on while getting in line.
People are imaging difficulties that are unlikely to occur. Most people can and will read signs, most people can figure out whether they are inside or outside, etc. From what I've read, the CDC is considering quite a bit of data on outside transmission, including a report from infectious disease scientists that less than 10% of the COVID cases they studied came from outdoor exposures.

ImperfectPixie

People are imaging difficulties that are unlikely to occur. Most people can and will read signs, most people can figure out whether they are inside or outside, etc. From what I've read, the CDC is considering quite a bit of data on outside transmission, including a report from infectious disease scientists that less than 10% of the COVID cases they studied came from outdoor exposures.
People may *see* signs, but that doesn't mean they're reading them. Trust me...I've been asked directions while standing right next to the directional signs in hospitals so many times I've lost count.

correcaminos

If you think people aren’t following now, wait til the CDC says outdoor spread is not happening. I don’t agree with people who think WDW will keep masks around simply because people are still coming to the parks. They’re going to carefully consider what is said tomorrow and also consider what other theme parks are doing.

People are fond of saying that Disney is careful to follow CDC guidelines, but that’s not entirely the case. The CDC wasn’t recommending that theme parks open in July 2020 at the height of the pandemic when the CDC was telling people not to travel and to stay home as much as possible. Disney will consider the CDC guidelines, but in conjunction with its business needs. Obviously I don’t know for certain, but I doubt it wants to be the only theme park requiring masks outside.
I'm just kind of watching and waiting. Places like Dollywood and Cedar Point may not be the same thing as Disney but you know things will be looked at. Disney will do what is in their best financial interest. That's pretty much it. We'll go and mask or not... whatever. I'm not pressed anymore about it. I'll bring a bunch of 'surgical' masks and do whatever is asked. I just feel for any CM who has to deal with guests. We know they are revolting. I'll just be watching with popcorn in the background so to speak ;)
People may *see* signs, but that doesn't mean they're reading them. Trust me...I've been asked directions while standing right next to the directional signs in hospitals so many times I've lost count.

Why do you insist that this is so terribly difficult? Station a CM - done. It's really not as hard as you think it is. I will follow rules of course, but I really do think some people want this to stay this way out of fear though, not because it's really that hard.

Heck I even watched two kids about 10 look at a sign for bathrooms and realized they needed a mask to enter at the zoo. If a pre-teen can figure it out even without a human to tell them they were wrong, most can. Then the Karens will bug the people until they do put their masks on...

ImperfectPixie

Why do you insist that this is so terribly difficult? Station a CM - done. It's really not as hard as you think it is. I will follow rules of course, but I really do think some people want this to stay this way out of fear though, not because it's really that hard.

Heck I even watched two kids about 10 look at a sign for bathrooms and realized they needed a mask to enter at the zoo. If a pre-teen can figure it out even without a human to tell them they were wrong, most can. Then the Karens will bug the people until they do put their masks on...
Because I'm speaking from real-world experience. I'm even guilty of being sign-blind while at WDW myself.

IF they choose to rely on signs, I hope they station a CM to keep an eye out, too, because people are oblivious under the best of circumstances, never mind while on a trip to WDW and having their senses bombarded from every direction.

HairyChest

If you can’t go maskless after getting the vaccine, there is no reason to get the vaccine.

The masks and distancing is prevention enough.

That will always be the argument against the vaccine. We can say all we want about protecting others and lowering risk, but it doesn’t matter to people who argue against it. If we can’t trust the claim that scientifically the vaccine protects from hospitalization and death 100% and from COVID itself 96%, then it’s null and void. If the U.S wants to achieve higher adoption rates, that’s what it will take. Vaccine, no masks.

correcaminos

Because I'm speaking from real-world experience. I'm even guilty of being sign-blind while at WDW myself.

IF they choose to rely on signs, I hope they station a CM to keep an eye out, too, because people are oblivious under the best of circumstances, never mind while on a trip to WDW and having their senses bombarded from every direction.
You have spent time in a park or similar that had this? If the largest zoo in the nation can do it as well as one of the largest coaster parks in the nation can do it, Disney can easily if they want to. Who knows if they will, but this isn't nearly as difficult as you are imagining. I've seen it work IRL

They station CMs at ride entrances all the time. So sign or not, they are there to remind along with the Karens out there ;)

ImperfectPixie

You have spent time in a park or similar that had this? If the largest zoo in the nation can do it as well as one of the largest coaster parks in the nation can do it, Disney can easily if they want to. Who knows if they will, but this isn't nearly as difficult as you are imagining. I've seen it work IRL

They station CMs at ride entrances all the time. So sign or not, they are there to remind along with the Karens out there ;)
That's what you don't understand. I'm not imagining anything. I'm giving you REAL WORLD experiences from my THIRTY YEARS in the sign business.

You can give me all the anecdotes you want. I guarantee you I have more knowledge about signage and how the general public responds to it.

correcaminos

That's what you don't understand. I'm not imagining anything. I'm giving you REAL WORLD experiences from my THIRTY YEARS in the sign business.

You can give me all the anecdotes you want. I guarantee you I have more knowledge about signage and how the general public responds to it.
For the last time, you don't need signs. You can have them but, they are not needed.

My anecdotes are real world covid rules and how they work. Nothing to do with being in the sign biz. This is not about your knowledge of signs. Seriously done beating this horse.

DC0703

If you can’t go maskless after getting the vaccine, there is no reason to get the vaccine.

The masks and distancing is prevention enough.

That will always be the argument against the vaccine. We can say all we want about protecting others and lowering risk, but it doesn’t matter to people who argue against it. If we can’t trust the claim that scientifically the vaccine protects from hospitalization and death 100% and from COVID itself 96%, then it’s null and void. If the U.S wants to achieve higher adoption rates, that’s what it will take. Vaccine, no masks.
That sounds great, but how do you enforce it? If 50% are vaccinated and 50% unvaccinated, how do you keep the unvaccinated wearing masks? Especially when they are likely the ones spitting on cast members and raising a ruckus in supermarkets.

The answer: there is no easy way to enforce it. Vaccine passports would be the closest you could get. Ultimately, if you said the vaccinated no longer have to wear masks in public, nobody will wear masks - it's an all or nothing scenario. There's not enough manpower to enforce a divided approach like that.

I know a few of you feel that masks are one of the big sticking points for getting vaccinated, but I've yet to see that in my life. My huge extended family is full of people who refuse to get vaccinated. They already don't wear masks (even they are supposed to) and their reasons for staying unvaccinated are either that COVID is not a threat or they believe conspiracy theories about the vaccines being dangerous and an attempt at government control.

Don't get me wrong, if you could enforce vaccine=no masks, it would be an appealing idea.

HairyChest

That sounds great, but how do you enforce it? If 50% are vaccinated and 50% unvaccinated, how do you keep the unvaccinated wearing masks? Especially when they are likely the ones spitting on cast members and raising a ruckus in supermarkets.

The answer: there is no easy way to enforce it. Vaccine passports would be the closest you could get. Ultimately, if you said the vaccinated no longer have to wear masks in public, nobody will wear masks - it's an all or nothing scenario. There's not enough manpower to enforce a divided approach like that.

I know a few of you feel that masks are one of the big sticking points for getting vaccinated, but I've yet to see that in my life. My huge extended family is full of people who refuse to get vaccinated. They already don't wear masks (even they are supposed to) and their reasons for staying unvaccinated are either that COVID is not a threat or they believe conspiracy theories about the vaccines being dangerous and an attempt at government control.

Don't get me wrong, if you could enforce vaccine=no masks, it would be an appealing idea.
Good point. So once the point is reached where vaccines are available to everyone who wants one, the restrictions should be lifted. Which almost sounds reckless to the way we’ve been groomed the past year. The question relating to Disney is, will the amount of people comfortable with the lifting of masks be greater or the people who will not attend the parks because of masklessness be greater?
it is often said perception is more important than the reality especially pertaining to a business. If masks indeed are not required soon, does Disney still keep the restriction until, say, October or even the end of the year? Would that make the profits greater or less?

pixie225

Very interested in seeing what the CDC says about relaxing mask wearing later today. While I don't think it will have any effect yet on Disney (we are heading there Saturday) I do think they will say outdoors with social distancing and not wearing masks will be okay - especially with the warmer weather coming. My only fear is that social distancing will go out the window, and I don't want anyone breathing down my neck on a line- never did like it, and definitely won't like it now.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Are these shops indoor or outdoor? If they are "indoor", then where do you put the signs and the CMs?

1619518909499.png

correcaminos

Are these shops indoor or outdoor? If they are "indoor", then where do you put the signs and the CMs?

View attachment 552295
Indoors and plenty of ways to make it so a CM could remind on entering with temporary roping off if they found people were too stupid to mask up, now let it go. Either be ready to make changes towards normalcy or really stay home. Again I'm done.

CaptainAmerica

The enforcement mechanism would be at the point of entry.

You can't tell who's vaccinated when everyone is mixed together, but you CAN tell who's vaccinated when they enter the park.

In other words, you can't have a rule that says "masks are mandatory unless you're vaccinated." But you can change the rule to "you can't enter unless you're vaccinated, and masks are no longer mandatory."

Disney isn't going to do this, but that's how they could.

CaptainAmerica

My only fear is that social distancing will go out the window, and I don't want anyone breathing down my neck on a line- never did like it, and definitely won't like it now.
People keep saying that. Was it REALLY ever a major issue? In 20+ trips and three years as a local, I genuinely don't think I've ever had anyone "breathing down my neck" in a line.

They need to be able to open the switchbacks. The Flight of Passage line stretching out past Festival of the Lion King is stupid.

And those plexiglass dividers in the places that are already using switchbacks are extremely cramping and claustrophobic. Not to mention they look like garbage.

tpac24

We're comfortable enough to try WDW next week. The only issue is how uncomfortable we'll be in masks outdoors, and I doubt the CDC guidelines will immediately affect Disney. Luckily Blizzard Beach is open and masks are not required throughout much of the water park. We've decided to postpone the family trip until next May when we hope things will be back to normal.
Honestly it isn't that bad. I have done it twice in WDW and it wasn't like I was use to wearing them outside because I don't . There were a few times that I would pull it down real quick for a deep breath but other than that it is doable.

CaptainAmerica

Honestly it isn't that bad. I have done it twice in WDW and it wasn't like I was use to wearing them outside because I don't . There were a few times that I would pull it down real quick for a deep breath but other than that it is doable.
If you get caught in a heavy, soaking rain, a wet mask is borderline torture. We brought several spares each but couldn't keep up. Agree with the rest of your post though.

tpac24

Very interested in seeing what the CDC says about relaxing mask wearing later today. While I don't think it will have any effect yet on Disney (we are heading there Saturday) I do think they will say outdoors with social distancing and not wearing masks will be okay - especially with the warmer weather coming. My only fear is that social distancing will go out the window, and I don't want anyone breathing down my neck on a line- never did like it, and definitely won't like it now.
I don't like it either but it kind of comes with the theme park territory. If it became so intolerable I would probably just stop frequenting theme parks.

eliza61nyc

People keep saying that. Was it REALLY ever a major issue? In 20+ trips and three years as a local, I genuinely don't think I've ever had anyone "breathing down my neck" in a line.

They need to be able to open the switchbacks. The Flight of Passage line stretching out past Festival of the Lion King is stupid.

And those plexiglass dividers in the places that are already using switchbacks are extremely cramping and claustrophobic. Not to mention they look like garbage.
lol oh sweet baby Jesus. can you imagine the reaction here to those park wide? people are already having a freaky deaky meltdown because they are seeing a persons tatoo on his arm, can you imagine if they had to look at a plastic divider?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom