News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmwade77

Damn! Sorry about that.
I can handle masks indoors, but it'd be far more convenient if that's gone.
I can handle them on transportation too, if they're still required when we go - but I really don't like the idea of them on the boats.
We'll see.
In any event, things are looking great - I had a positive omicron test last week and I felt zero effect from it.
Went for bike rides, (11 mile rides) walked around the reservoir (5 miles) so I'm good.
My wife had it too, she was dragging a bit but otherwise ok, and she's over that now - so our fear is gone.
The ferry to Magic Kingdom doesn't require them, nor do the boats to Disney Springs....not sure about EPCOT boats.

correcaminos

I think mask mandates need to go, but if you want to wear one, go for it for now. Eventually I think they should be banned though, as only those that are actively sick should be wearing it and if you are actively sick, you should stay home.
No, people undergoing treatments like cancer wear them often. Banning is going to take that from them. I am baffled by those against mandates pushing for different mandates. Leave people to wear if they want.

Tom P.

Transportation unfortunately is governed by federal mandate, which is currently set to expire March 18, hopefully it doesn't get renewed again.
There has been some debate about whether, legally, Disney transportation is truly covered by the federal mandate. Universal's transpotation has dropped masking, which would suggest either (a) they are doing something illegally or (b) Disney could drop it too. Regardless, though, Disney has followed the federal mandate, and with it set to drop so soon, I doubt they have any desire to test it.

No, people undergoing treatments like cancer wear them often. Banning is going to take that from them. I am baffled by those against mandates pushing for different mandates. Leave people to wear if they want.
I oppose government mask mandates either way, requiring or banning masks. However, many private businesses -- including Disney -- have historically had their own rules against people covering their faces unless for a legitimate medical reason. Largely, that has been due to security. And it was always considered legal for them to do so. Until the pandemic, for example, you couldn't walk into a bank with your face covered. Disney wouldn't even let people over a certain age wear costume masks. It will be interesting to see if such businesses ever go back to those kinds of rules.

correcaminos

There has been some debate about whether, legally, Disney transportation is truly covered by the federal mandate. Universal's transpotation has dropped masking, which would suggest either (a) they are doing something illegally or (b) Disney could drop it too. Regardless, though, Disney has followed the federal mandate, and with it set to drop so soon, I doubt they have any desire to test it.

I oppose government mask mandates either way, requiring or banning masks. However, many private businesses -- including Disney -- have historically had their own rules against people covering their faces unless for a legitimate medical reason. Largely, that has been due to security. And it was always considered legal for them to do so. Until the pandemic, for example, you couldn't walk into a bank with your face covered. Disney wouldn't even let people over a certain age wear costume masks. It will be interesting to see if such businesses ever go back to those kinds of rules.
Depends on the banks. Sometimes even like during the pandemic they would ask you to remove for cameras and then put them back on. That's what jewelers do as well.

Disney is not often a place where people go if ill unless MAW. And I have seen kids masked pre covid. Just like at MCO you often would see at least a handful in the airport pre covid. Masks just lowered when needed for security. If Asian countries can figure this out we can without bans.

I've seen the debates about travel. Seems like the deadly monorail accident causes Disney to behave like they are public transport.

I am curious to see how it plays out. As masking only for a ride is not my favorite thing as it will cause me to worry about losing a mask I don't wear all day. I'd rather not drive. But we'll do what we have to do.

GimpYancIent

Finally! Yes! Reasonable! Masks should definitely be optional. A simple concept that neither side of the mask debate spectrum seemed to get until now.

G00fyDad

Disney's transportation has to follow the federal mandate because it is governed by federal regulations after the 2009 monorail incident. Universal does not fall underneath that same umbrella. That's why Disney is not dropped the mask mandate on transportation at this time. Once it goes away on airplanes trains and buses it for the general public then it will go away for Disney as well.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I think mask mandates need to go, but if you want to wear one, go for it for now. Eventually I think they should be banned though, as only those that are actively sick should be wearing it and if you are actively sick, you should stay home.
Do you believe the immunocompromised should become shut ins? Most of the MaW kids wear masks as do some of their family and that was pre pandemic

Last edited:

G00fyDad

Finally! Yes! Reasonable! Masks should definitely be optional. A simple concept that neither side of the mask debate spectrum seemed to get until now.
We understand. We understand just fine. We have been asking people to wear a mask during these mandates for one simple reason. Unreasonable people, like those who cannot seem to understand why mandates were necessary, would still go out in the public carrying COVID in their body. Masks were needed. They're less needed now than they were but they were needed at one point. Saying things like you just did is just silly. Masks should never have been an optional thing from day one.

DisneyCane

We understand. We understand just fine. We have been asking people to wear a mask during these mandates for one simple reason. Unreasonable people, like those who cannot seem to understand why mandates were necessary, would still go out in the public carrying COVID in their body. Masks were needed. They're less needed now than they were but they were needed at one point. Saying things like you just did is just silly. Masks should never have been an optional thing from day one.
Disagree 1000%.

Incomudro

I've never gotten over - and never will - how uncomfortable it makes me feel to don a mask like a bandit before entering an establishment.
It feels so wrong.

GimpYancIent

I stated my opinion and you stated yours. Mandates were never necessary. I wish you a magical day.

GimpYancIent

I've never gotten over - and never will - how uncomfortable it makes me feel to don a mask like a bandit before entering an establishment.
It feels so wrong.
To think back before this whole COVID episode masks were actually prohibited in many places because of security and identification measures. Even Disney experimented with facial recognition technology. How things have changed over the last two years!

DisneyCane

To think back before this whole COVID episode masks were actually prohibited in many places because of security and identification measures. Even Disney experimented with facial recognition technology. How things have changed over the last two years!
And the petri dish finger scanners are back. I always head straight to the hand sanitizer after entering but surprisingly few do. Not a big COVID risk but definitely all kinds of nasty bacteria on there!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Masks should never have been mandatory, sorry if you can't understand the concept of personal responsibility and people who are capable of actually finding the research and reading it, realizing that short of medical grade masks being fitted by a medical professional every time you out it one, masks do nothing and in fact do far more harm than good.

This is false. I know it's against the rules to get into mask debates in this thread, but I cannot let mis-information like that go unchallenged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom