News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip Chipperson

I think so long as they allow the unvaccinated in all those places with a mask, they’d be in the clear legally in FL. Whether they WANT to bother is another story. Especially this late in the game and so close to the end.

But that what I'm saying - to allow the unvaccinated in with a mask requirement while the vaccinated are allowed to go maskless is impossible to enforce. How would a CM differentiate between a maskless vaccinated person and a maskless unvaccinated person when looking at a crowd of people?

sullyinMT

But that what I'm saying - to allow the unvaccinated in with a mask requirement while the vaccinated are allowed to go maskless is impossible to enforce. How would a CM differentiate between a maskless vaccinated person and a maskless unvaccinated person when looking at a crowd of people?
Right. What is practical is not what is permissible under current FL law. No way WDW wants the hassle for temporary benefit. Whenever they change it will be back to the honor system. At least now parents are only a few weeks from being honest about their kids’ status.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I go inside POTC for 15 min I have to wear a mask, but I can stand armpit to armpit with other guests for well over 15 min waiting for a parade with no mask and we're good? It's absurd!
Not absurd at all actually - outdoor transmission is not a thing, at all, even standing shoulder to shoulder with people. Indoor transmission is.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What are the conditions that make outdoor transmission completely impossible?
Not completely impossible. Just really unlikely. I believe it’s all about air flow. And one of the reasons why there have been issues at college football games, etc.
Anyways, I think we should ditch masks everywhere already. Indoor. Outdoor.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Do you have kids and if so, how old are they?

I have an 11 year old and a *very* spirited 4 year old who gives us a run for our money every single day of our lives - and both kids have adapted just fine to wearing masks. It's kind of just part of our routine now, no complaints, no pulling it down, anything. We just always put a positive spin around weaing masks as parents, and the kids just took to it. And our youngest is the kid who can't stay still, will run and jump on anything.... I don't see the issue.

Naturally I'll be glad when they can take their masks off for good - but we aren't there yet (although we almost are).

Oh and I don't see the requirement being lifted on airlines for another 6 months to a year...

I said it earlier - require proof of vaccination at time of park reservation and tie it to magic bands/cards.

What are the conditions that make outdoor transmission completely impossible?
Not completely impossible, but *extremely* low risk. Apparently the virus doesn't really survive in outdoor settings, the droplets disperse almost instantly (you don't get COVID by a few droplets, you get it by a large number of droplets). In any case, study after study has shown that COVID is tied to indoor settings.

Mstr Gra-c

Not completely impossible, but *extremely* low risk. Apparently the virus doesn't really survive in outdoor settings, the droplets disperse almost instantly (you don't get COVID by a few droplets, you get it by a large number of droplets). In any case, study after study has shown that COVID is tied to indoor settings.
Oh okay so its not just the fact that there isn't a roof and four walls...ok. It's that the conditions of an indoor space are usually more conducive to the spread of the droplets to others than the usual conditions of an outdoor space. Am I in the ballpark?

CaptainAmerica

I have an 11 year old and a *very* spirited 4 year old who gives us a run for our money every single day of our lives - and both kids have adapted just fine to wearing masks. It's kind of just part of our routine now, no complaints, no pulling it down, anything. We just always put a positive spin around weaing masks as parents, and the kids just took to it. And our youngest is the kid who can't stay still, will run and jump on anything.... I don't see the issue.
My 7 year old and 4 year old are fine in masks too. My 2 year old isn't.

Mark52479

According to the CDC, Orange County is at 50.67 cases per 100k, which leaves it at substantial. Maybe Disney waits another week.

I’m curious if Florida’s report mirrors the CDC .
So thats very very close to yellow it looks like. That should happen next week.

Do we even know Disney is using this as their metric to remove indoor masks?

The Florida numbers for the week just came out and Florida now has the lowest positivity rate in over a year with 2.6% state wide. OC is at 3% South Florida is very low with Miami being at 1.8% and Palm Beach being at 2.6%

If they are in fact using these numbers to make their decision then I would say it is immanent.

Heelz2315

So thats very very close to yellow it looks like. That should happen next week.

Do we even know Disney is using this as their metric to remove indoor masks?

The Florida numbers for the week just came out and Florida now has the lowest positivity rate in over a year with 2.6% state wide. OC is at 3% South Florida is very low with Miami being at 1.8% and Palm Beach being at 2.6%

If they are in fact using these numbers to make their decision then I would say it is immanent.

that’s part of the problem. Nobody knows what metrics WDW uses to make these decisions. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if they used a ouija board

Angel Ariel

Now that people can vaccinate their children 5 and older, can we please stop with this nonsense? If you don't feel safe without masks or being around people without masks then don't go to WDW (or any other crowded place).

can we at least grant the time necessary for children 5-11 to be fully vaccinated? Time for people to actually get in to first dose appointments, and then the 5 weeks total for them to be fully vaccinated? (3 weeks between doses, and full immunity being considered reached 2 weeks post the second dose).

it’s not as thought ages 5-12 were magically protected when the CDC approved it on Tuesday.

Chi84

Premium Member
When 5 to 12 are able to be fully protected people will move on to the 6 months to 5 years demographic and want to wait for them. When WDW dropped the mask requirements a few months ago, there were tons of kids there who were not yet able to be vaccinated.

It seems to me that the people who are concerned about the risk would not take their kids to WDW until they are fully protected, especially if they had to wait only 5 weeks or so for full protection to kick in.

ToTBellHop

When 5 to 12 are able to be fully protected people will move on to the 6 months to 5 years demographic and want to wait for them. When WDW dropped the mask requirements a few months ago, there were tons of kids there who were not yet able to be vaccinated.

It seems to me that the people who are concerned about the risk would not take their kids to WDW until they are fully protected, especially if they had to wait only 5 weeks or so for full protection to kick in.
Or rather, anyone who has younger children and has a vacation booked already accepted that risk. It’s clear the company is just trying to determine best optics right now. We will see when they relax the guidelines. Today’s move suggests we are getting closer to that time.

But, it’s silly for anyone with a young child to suggest that a visit to WDW right now is safe because of indoor masking and wouldn’t be if there were no masks. The parks aren’t operating like they were in Fall 2020.

Chi84

Premium Member
The quote I was responding to mentioned not bringing kids to any crowded space, not just wdw. Schools are crowded spaces, and children are there 7 hrs/day, 5 days a week. Let’s give the kids the time required to be fully immunized before we start to remove mask mandates.

preschools and daycares often have significantly smaller class sizes than what we are talking about in K-6. I wouldn’t necessarily consider them “crowded” places. Plus, as many have noted, the mask wearing in this demographic is much more a developmental issue than the 5-11. I wouldn’t presume that people (like me ;) ) advocating for the time for 5-11 to be fully immunized are incapable of acknowledging the differences between 5-11 and 6 months - 4 years. 🤷‍♀️
That's why I didn't directly reply to your post. I was talking about the mask policy at WDW. I thought there was another thread about masks in schools, but maybe that was in the now defunct political forum.

DisneyCane

It may be legal, but how could they possibly enforce it? The only real way to enforce it would be to require proof of vaccination to enter the parks/shops/dining locations and that's not allowed in FL. I have no idea what Disney's appetite for such a mandate would have been, but I think they would have at least considered it if it would have allowed them to open to 100% capacity in the parks and dining locations sooner than they did.
They could give you a mask free bracelet like when they card you for alcohol at some sports or concert venues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom