News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormerMember

Masks aren't harmful.
I guess if we ignore the emotional and developmental issues, then we could make the case that they aren't "likely" to be permanently physically harmful. Sure.

And maybe the trade off would be worth it, if they were actually useful interventions in a school setting. The Science™ however, shows they aren't.

floridamask.jpeg

For what it's worth, I am so beaten down that I'd just like the kids to be able to take them off for recess and to be able to share a ball. I would take that. Kid's outside in masks is the height of ridiculousness.

tpac24

Can someone question local government on how Disney was allowed to bring the College Program back? Literally next month.

I dont know, they are letting college kids from all over live together again.
College kids from all over the country for the past year have been living together and I don't see your issue with it. By spring semester my college child's campus (big SEC) was open with some restrictions. They had in person classes, Greek life activities (swaps, philanthropy events, parents weekend, formals etc etc) athletic events , open libraries and dining areas and there was little to no fall out. The positive rate was super low and the town it is in also had a super low positivity rate.

Last edited:

Ripken10

After school sports have been proven to be sources of spread.
yes, after school sports are. Like wrestling. Running in a race outside is not. You are taking something very general and over using it.

This is my area of expertise (school sports). While I am in the camp that believes after school sports was a mistake, it is not for the reason you give. There is other reasons that after school sports is a superspreader. The actual race part of running is not one of them. Running is one of the safest of the activities...well at least if you are not requiring the kids to wear a mask while doing it.

Creathir

Then perhaps they should hold off on races for the time being.
But why? There is absolute loads of data showing the masks do nothing, particularly outside.

Look, wear the mask if you’re so inclined. No one is stopping you. But don’t stick your head in the sand. Don’t destroy countless once in a lifetime events in a young person’s life because you refuse to accept the hard data that they just don’t work as advertised. I wish they did. It would be a minor inconvenience for a much greater benefit.

But they don’t. They don’t stop the spread, they don’t even slow it. If they did places with mask mandates and an agreeable population would show marked declines in cases. Instead the data shows the opposite, that it matters not one bit.

ImperfectPixie

But why? There is absolute loads of data showing the masks do nothing, particularly outside.

Look, wear the mask if you’re so inclined. No one is stopping you. But don’t stick your head in the sand. Don’t destroy countless once in a lifetime events in a young person’s life because you refuse to accept the hard data that they just don’t work as advertised. I wish they did. It would be a minor inconvenience for a much greater benefit.

But they don’t. They don’t stop the spread, they don’t even slow it. If they did places with mask mandates and an agreeable population would show marked declines in cases. Instead the data shows the opposite, that it matters not one bit.
I don't think masks while kids are racing are necessary...what I'm saying is that if the people managing the field and track program were forced to work with masks, they're doing a bad job. Either wait until they aren't forced to wear masks or use timed relays instead.

FormerMember

Irrelevant, sadly. It's now dogmatic. Masks work because we say they work. It's that simple. Real world data is meaningless.

I look forward to the day, some 5 years in the future when The Science™ returns to pre-2020 levels.

Regarding sports....

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Masks ARE effective at drastically reducing spread. Stop with misinformation please (the bolded).
That’s misleading. Outdoor transmission of the virus is extremely difficult to achieve. Even the CDC has acknowledged this. If it is very difficult to transmit covid 19 without a mask, wearing a mask offers minimal to no tangible benefit.

ImperfectPixie

That’s misleading. Outdoor transmission of the virus is extremely difficult to achieve. Even the CDC has acknowledged this. If it is very difficult to transmit covid 19 without a mask, wearing a mask offers minimal to no tangible benefit.
And if you looked at what I referenced - the part of the quote that I bolded - I specifically didn't bold the "outside" part.

Masks ARE effective at preventing spread when people are outdoors if they are shoulder-to-shoulder, and also indoors.

ColeTrain04

We have a trip planned for next week and if the mask mandate goes away by then, I want the ability to request a full refund. They will need to give a fair warning beforehand so people can plan accordingly.
If that happens (which is highly unlikely), you and your family could still wear your masks. If we really want to talk about science then let’s look to the CDC. It’s estimated that more than 100 million people in the US have had Covid, that’s about 25% of the population. Then take into account the 200 million that have had at least one dose and/or are fully vaccinated. There’s probably something like 60-70 % of the population that has some sort of immunity. This would also explain the very sharp decrease in cases since January despite all the “more deadly” variants. Y’all want more people vaccinated? Then lift the restrictions. I can’t tell you how many folks I know that won’t get one simply because they see no incentive. I kind of agree with the Governors statement “restrictions are anti vaccine.” People aren’t going to be scared into getting the vaccine. I’m no doctor but I’m a firm believer that the CDC as well as all the other local and state governments know damn well vaccinated people don’t spread the virus. Want proof? You don’t have to quarantine after exposure once you’re vaccinated. Why is that? Hmmm.....I think it’s because there’s no fear of asymptotic spread. And if there’s no fear of asymptotic spread from a vaccinated person then why the need for the masks? If you’re honestly that scared of catching this thing then Disney probably isn’t the place to be right now. Masks aren’t 100% effective either. Also there’s tons of scientific evidence that prove the risk of transmitting the virus outdoors is slim, even without a vaccine. We need to move past all the BS and get back to normal already. The vaccine is available and there’s no reason why people who got vaccinated have to sacrifice for those who choose not to.

ImperfectPixie

If that happens (which is highly unlikely), you and your family could still wear your masks. If we really want to talk about science then let’s look to the CDC. It’s estimated that more than 100 million people in the US have had Covid, that’s about 25% of the population. Then take into account the 200 million that have had at least one dose and/or are fully vaccinated. There’s probably something like 60-70 % of the population that has some sort of immunity. This would also explain the very sharp decrease in cases since January despite all the “more deadly” variants. Y’all want more people vaccinated? Then lift the restrictions. I can’t tell you how many folks I know that won’t get one simply because they see no incentive. I kind of agree with the Governors statement “restrictions are anti vaccine.” People aren’t going to be scared into getting the vaccine. I’m no doctor but I’m a firm believer that the CDC as well as all the other local and state governments know damn well vaccinated people don’t spread the virus. Want proof? You don’t have to quarantine after exposure once you’re vaccinated. Why is that? Hmmm.....I think it’s because there’s no fear of asymptotic spread. And if there’s no fear of asymptotic spread from a vaccinated person then why the need for the masks? If you’re honestly that scared of catching this thing then Disney probably isn’t the place to be right now. Masks aren’t 100% effective either. Also there’s tons of scientific evidence that prove the risk of transmitting the virus outdoors is slim, even without a vaccine. We need to move past all the BS and get back to normal already. The vaccine is available and there’s no reason why people who got vaccinated have to sacrifice for those who choose not to.
Because there's still 20% of the population that can't be vaccinated yet because the vaccines haven't been approved for them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom