News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mergatroid

Got plenty of masks for our visit from the UK in 4 weeks time. Been cancelled twice so third time lucky, hopefully they'll be no mask requirement when outside.

correcaminos

It covers those who are part of the wastewater system. Still plenty of septic tanks out there.
Valid point. As a suburbanite I often forget this. Still really cool to do and often gives a good picture of what's going on.

Nothing is 100% fool proof though.

Got plenty of masks for our visit from the UK in 4 weeks time. Been cancelled twice so third time lucky, hopefully they'll be no mask requirement when outside.
Fingers crossed for you. No outside masks required though.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
It covers those who are part of the wastewater system. Still plenty of septic tanks out there.
In Orange County Florida, which is the geographic location I was referencing (it’s what includes most of WDW) the VAST majority of the population are on public sewerage. Just because some small, low single digit percentage are not has absolutely no impact on the validity of the data set and the trends that it reports. It gets really old when people keep pulling out edge cases to try and invalidate real data that represents the bulk of the population in this specific geographic area.

correcaminos

In Orange County Florida, which is the geographic location I was referencing (it’s what includes most of WDW) the VAST majority of the population are on public sewerage. Just because some small, low single digit percentage are not has absolutely no impact on the validity of the data set and the trends that it reports. It gets really old when people keep pulling out edge cases to try and invalidate real data that represents the bulk of the population in this specific geographic area.
I think you are being a little harsh - for lack of better word here. The issue with talking about data points is that some people are happy with a cross section and others are not. Your ideas are valid, but those who want complete data are not necessarily trying to be dismissive either. I'm personally saying positivity rates mean nothing to me and never really have. Now if you tested every single person twice a week I might care more. But that can't happen.

Keep in mind I acknowledge all failings of data across the board. Much like people who talk asymptomatic cases and how ineffective vaccines are because of them. I gently remind them that not once did I ever do randomized testing for asymptomatic covid in the last 19 months since signing up. So to me comparing asymptomatic cases now to past is invalid because data was never complete. If we were called to report all tests I'd find positivity more interesting but we still are only testing those who are willingly testing in sites that report both. It misses too much for my tastes and I could see why it might not be a metric used for mask wearing.

Ayla

Saw a post on Disney Fanatic on social media that WDW has stopped selling masks, both in the parks and online. Not sure if that's true. If it is, they may be preparing to drop it.

I am guessing it is because their massive shipments from China are sitting on cargo ships out at sea.

seabreezept813

The little kids don't get seriously ill from it in the first place. But a vaccine available to everyone should appease the people whose last remaining argument about why we still need masking is "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE LITTLE KIDS!?"
Some do sadly. We were roommates with a 7 month old on life support due to covid. My daughter (9 mo) had a severe infection which may or may not have been linked to her also having covid. But I totally agree once it’s available to all, then fair game. As a teacher, I think the 85% vaxxed to go mask free that MA is doing or just required vaccines and no masks would be a reasonable solution. It’s not unheard of to need vaccines in schools.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I think you are being a little harsh - for lack of better word here. The issue with talking about data points is that some people are happy with a cross section and others are not. Your ideas are valid, but those who want complete data are not necessarily trying to be dismissive either. I'm personally saying positivity rates mean nothing to me and never really have. Now if you tested every single person twice a week I might care more. But that can't happen.

Keep in mind I acknowledge all failings of data across the board. Much like people who talk asymptomatic cases and how ineffective vaccines are because of them. I gently remind them that not once did I ever do randomized testing for asymptomatic covid in the last 19 months since signing up. So to me comparing asymptomatic cases now to past is invalid because data was never complete. If we were called to report all tests I'd find positivity more interesting but we still are only testing those who are willingly testing in sites that report both. It misses too much for my tastes and I could see why it might not be a metric used for mask wearing.
This is the last comment I’m going to make on the topic because this has reached the level of ridiculous. The data that WDW and other local theme park operators use to make their decisions on mask requirements is a mix of then-current CDC guidance and local positive test result statistics from the Orange and Osceola County departments of health. Everything else is just opinion. I’m trying desperately to keep my focus only on the topic of Disney masking and the data points they use to make decisions. I’m choosing consciously to keep everything else out of the discussion.

correcaminos

This is the last comment I’m going to make on the topic because this has reached the level of ridiculous. The data that WDW and other local theme park operators use to make their decisions on mask requirements is a mix of then-current CDC guidance and local positive test result statistics from the Orange and Osceola County departments of health. Everything else is just opinion. I’m trying desperately to keep my focus only on the topic of Disney masking and the data points they use to make decisions. I’m choosing consciously to keep everything else out of the discussion.
I hit a nerve and I apologize. I was attempting to discuss current events, not past though and why mandates at the county levels never returned. Speculating as to why or what parks follow. Nothing more.

disneygeek90

Saw a post on Disney Fanatic on social media that WDW has stopped selling masks, both in the parks and online. Not sure if that's true. If it is, they may be preparing to drop it.

Haven't had character cloth masks in the parks in months. September-ish if memory serves.

CntrlFlPete

Haven't had character cloth masks in the parks in months. September-ish if memory serves.
oh, character -- I did not notice that one point -- I did not look closely at the cloth mask they were selling in Epcot last week, but I do not think they were character specific ones.

disneygeek90

oh, character -- I did not notice that one point -- I did not look closely at the cloth mask they were selling in Epcot last week, but I do not think they were character specific ones.
I think the only ones I remember seeing somewhat recently are the more "premium" ones. Idk what they were called.. but they were displayed with outfits a la Disneybounding.

The huge displays of a dozen different prints I haven't seen in a long time.

Diamond Dot

You'll be there just before me. I'm fully vaccinated and boostered and will be making more masks to take with me. I've had a trip cancelled and rearranged another. I'll wear masks when appropriate.
My only confusion is the test before the outbound flight, but, I'll contact the company recommended by Virgin this week for clarification.
Mind you, I'm happy to wear a mask anywhere that means I get away from here for two weeks.

Diamond Dot

Regarding vaccinating children, when the vaccines for polio and MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) became available parents didn't think twice about vaccinating their children,because most had seen or heard about the devastating effects of those illnesses and yet, in an age where information is even more readily available we have a low uptake of kids being vaccinated for Covid.
Sure, most kids don't get seriously ill, but, why take that chance for your child, not to mention that they can still get it, be asymptomatic and spread it to older vulnerable people.

As for masks, hand-washing etc, they didn't have that information in 1918 and 50 million died, look at the numbers today, while still terrible it's barely 10% of the 1918 mortality rate. That proves to me that masks and hand washing are a massive help.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It's a big stretch to go from an anecdotal story about having a hard time finding masks to "Disney stops selling masks"

marymarypoppins

Regarding vaccinating children, when the vaccines for polio and MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) became available parents didn't think twice about vaccinating their children,because most had seen or heard about the devastating effects of those illnesses and yet, in an age where information is even more readily available we have a low uptake of kids being vaccinated for Covid.
Sure, most kids don't get seriously ill, but, why take that chance for your child, not to mention that they can still get it, be asymptomatic and spread it to older vulnerable people.

As for masks, hand-washing etc, they didn't have that information in 1918 and 50 million died, look at the numbers today, while still terrible it's barely 10% of the 1918 mortality rate. That proves to me that masks and hand washing are a massive help.
This can happen with or with out the vaccine. I teach kindergarten and the one kid out of 20 who has tested positive in my class with symptoms is the only child who consistently wears a mask and is vaccinated. I think hand washing should be the norm everyday all day and you should wear a mask if you go out and have any type of virus.

Last edited:

drizgirl

That's not how you prove causality.

lazyboy97o

They did have masks and hand washing in 1918 and even if they didn’t you can’t just draw that conclusion, especially since they’re two different diseases caused by different types of viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom