News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wine and Dine marathon at Epcot is this weekend.
I just listed all the things that converged this week…they all drive local crowds and New Jersey and Virginia travelers…

and yet…I’m told they’re still aren’t staffed or fully back online in the resorts

might get more towards “ugly” by thanksgiving?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They're smoking something then. They aren't offering any discounts and their "50th" is a joke. Wouldn't have taken much more to make the 50th actually appealing to people - they needed to spend a little more money to make a lot more money but they didn't do it.

Objectively speaking, it's less crowded than in past October's. Touring plans shows actual crowd levels of one two and three, whereas in the past we were in the five to eight range at this time of year.
1. I still have it on decent authority that Slapheads “no discounts” mandate that quietly was decreed pre-plague is still in place. This was kinda quietly “out there” at least back to 2018. The street was promised…and when you don’t pay…they’ll break your kneecaps.

2. It always “feels crowded” now…because they stopped building to keep capacity for their average crowd levels in 1999

but objectively…they are WAY down on body count from 2 years ago.

none of us actually “want” 2019…let alone 2020 or 2021 (what they would have been)…there’s been no economic reset and wdw’s metrics are horribly out of whack. They love it…we all should hate it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
10/20-10/29. Felt like more people than the previous years
2017 - same timeframe (everyone said it was so crowded - we didn't think so)
2014 - same timeframe (everyone said it was so crowded - we didn't think so ;) )
Hmmm…2017 total attendance was above the “discomfort” line…2014 was not. So that’s an interesting take. 18 and 19 were really bad…they might have gotten 60 by 2020/21…
They just don’t have capacity for that.

interesting…nonetheless

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I was there 3 days ago. It was crowded and I go very often. Once a month at least.

NOW.....it is marathon weekend so that could have had something to do with it also.
I think crowded really is a perception concept, we got back Wednesday and I thought crowds were light, not slow but not crowded either.

Compared to the insane crowds at DL recently our WDW trip was amazing.

We stayed at POFQ (reopening) and judging by the glow of the TVs in the windows we estimated they were maybe at 25% capacity to ease back into things. That may have skewed our perception also because we had relatively empty buses, quiet relaxing pool days, etc. It was a fantastic vacation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think crowded really is a perception concept, we got back Wednesday and I thought crowds were light, not slow but not crowded either.

Compared to the insane crowds at DL recently our WDW trip was amazing.

We stayed at POFQ (reopening) and judging by the glow of the TVs in the windows we estimated they were maybe at 25% capacity to ease back into things. That may have skewed our perception also because we had relatively empty buses, quiet relaxing pool days, etc. It was a fantastic vacation.
The fact of port orleans opening 17 months after wdw reopened proves my point about how down they are.

people go on wdw.com and say “there’s no rooms! The place is back!”

no…there are no rooms available for sale on the rack…there are a lot in low occ reserve.

I get that I pay closer attention…but they have partially open Hotels with reduced staffing…and will for some time

we were in the DAKL villas in late august…when the rest reopened. The direct quote was “we’re HOPING to get back to 70% by the end of the year)

Last edited:

yonafunu

I only went two times in WDW, august 2018 and end of october 2019. The first one was packed but waiting time was ok. In 2019, it was horrible, i remember the first day at EPCOT, we stayed only 3h because of the heavy crowd. Don't know what to expect for my next trip in 20days. Hope really with covid safety measures waiting lines are much nicer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I only went two times in WDW, august 2018 and end of october 2019. The first one was packed but waiting time was ok. In 2019, it was horrible, i remember the first day at EPCOT, we stayed only 3h because of the heavy crowd. Don't know what to expect for my next trip in 20days. Hope really with covid safety measures waiting lines are much nicer.
A lot less people…lines will still suck. No social distance…just line crowding.
Thanksgiving isn’t the most comfortable time anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
DVC has a glut of points for most people to get through. I have 4 trips in the next year and still in the black for points. Never wise to use DVC for how booked a place is as a whole ,
Yeah…the backlog is being worked through…and if the trends on the street continue…it’s gonna be solid all next year. Use it or lose it

correcaminos

Yeah…the backlog is being worked through…and if the trends on the street continue…it’s gonna be solid all next year. Use it or lose it
I was fortunately able to bank everything unused so far. I still had decent luck switching at 7 months for June to a 2 bedroom at GF so that was a nice point hog compared to most others lol. Fortunately been at DVC for many years so I'm very good at being aware of points.

Vegas Disney Fan

We went for New Years a few years back so I don’t think I’ll ever complain about crowds compared to that, we still had an amazing time but it was a very different WDW experience.

Our expectations were insanity and that’s exactly what we got, I wouldn‘t want that every week but we planned accordingly, were there for the experience, and knew we wouldn’t do many rides so it was an absolute blast. I’d do every New Years Eve at Epcot if I was closer, it was chaos but that’s kind of what NYE should be.

Oh i'm coming right after Thanksgiving ! from 29 to 12 december :) Anyway, after two years without vacancy, i need to clear my brain

We’ve been a few times in the lull between Thanksgiving and Christmas and experienced reasonable crowds. It’s hard to predict anything in these crazy times but hopefully that trend will continue.

MagicHappens1971

I am at the parks this weekend. I have been here pretty much weekly since the 50th kickoff. It is the most crowded I’ve seen the parks in a while. People are showing up in droves, I don’t think the masks are turning too many people away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom