News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

"Strongly recommend" is not a requirement nor a policy. It is their way, with a wink and a nod, to get rid of the masks while still saying they are being safety-conscious. In practice, "strongly recommend" means almost no one wears a mask. It is the same tactic Walt Disney World used earlier this year when they said masks weren't required for the vaccinated. Everyone knew what that meant: no masks. And almost no one wore then.

@CaptainAmerica is correct. No major company is requiring masks unless there is a local government requirement. Even companies viewed as very left-wing, such as Starbucks, are not requiring them. Apple just announced they will be dropping the mask mandate at their stores unless required by local governments. And certainly other theme parks are not. Disney is the outlier here. And they are not going to want to be the outlier for much longer.
Disney is probably playing it as a wait and see approach. Don't like WDW approach, then spend your money elsewhere.

Tom P.

Disney is probably playing it as a wait and see approach. Don't like WDW approach, then spend your money elsewhere.
I am. I have said that my family and I will not be returning to WDW as long as there is a mask mandate. I was simply commenting on their current policy and how it aligns with the rest of the country's businesses. I have no insight what-so-ever into Disney's thinking, but if their mask mandate survives more than another few weeks, I would be deeply shocked.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don't know what to tell you. Regardless of what their websites say, there are ZERO masks around me in Home Depot, Walmart, or Target. Again, this isn't Alabama or Mississippi. This is Connecticut.
As you said, At this point in the US, mask requirements are pretty much the exception rather than the norm.

LittleBuford

@CaptainAmerica is correct. No major company is requiring masks unless there is a local government requirement.
Home Depot asks all customers to wear masks:

"As the Delta variant of COVID-19 continues to spread throughout the U.S., beginning August 2, we’ll require all associates, contractors and vendors to wear a mask while indoors at all U.S. Home Depot stores, distribution centers, office locations and customers’ homes or businesses, regardless of vaccination status. We’ll ask customers to wear masks while in our stores and continue to offer masks to those who don’t have one."

True, the use of the word "asks" suggests that they won't enforce the policy beyond a point, but it's their policy nonetheless.

Trauma

As you said, At this point in the US, mask requirements are pretty much the exception rather than the norm.
In just a few weeks time everyone over the age of 5 who wishes to be protected from the the virus has had that opportunity.

Furthermore even those who chose not to vax will have access to a pill that reduces hospitalization by a large percentage.

I don’t know what else can be done at this point.

We can’t mitigate indefinitely just to protect those that are purposefully declining the opportunity to be protected.

LittleBuford

Disney is the outlier here. And they are not going to want to be the outlier for much longer.
I'm quoting and responding to this separately, as I think it gets to the heart of the matter. I agree that Disney is the outlier among major theme parks but disagree with your interpretation of what that means. To my mind, it works very much in Disney's favour that they can claim to have been uniquely cautious among their peers. The calculation would probably be different if they were struggling to attract visitors at the moment, but that doesn't appear to be case. As long as they are turning a profit, they can afford to tread cautiously and may well come off looking better for it in the long run.

Trauma

Home Depot asks all customers to wear masks:

"As the Delta variant of COVID-19 continues to spread throughout the U.S., beginning August 2, we’ll require all associates, contractors and vendors to wear a mask while indoors at all U.S. Home Depot stores, distribution centers, office locations and customers’ homes or businesses, regardless of vaccination status. We’ll ask customers to wear masks while in our stores and continue to offer masks to those who don’t have one."

True, the use of the word "asks" suggests that they won't enforce the policy beyond a point, but it's their policy nonetheless.
The sign on the door of my Home Depot uses the word “requests”. That translates into very little mask wearing.

LittleBuford

When the map I shared above (and which I'll link to again below) isn't a sea of red. I hasten to add that this is nothing more than a guess on my part and that I have no relevant expertise in this area.

@Trauma, to offer a less sweeping answer to your question, I don't think Disney will lift the mandate while Orange County's rate of transmission remains substantial. To do so would be to fly directly in the face of the CDC's advice, which in many people's eyes would be bad optics.

Tom P.

I would say the policy is purposely vague. They could have replaced the word “ask” with “require”.
I don't think it's vague at all. I think it's very clear. They specifically say they "require" masks of associates, contractors, and vendors. Then, in the same paragraph, they say that they "ask" customers. That makes it very clear that they are not required of customers. And most customers in Home Depot are not wearing them.

Tom P.

I'm quoting and responding to this separately, as I think it gets to the heart of the matter. I agree that Disney is the outlier among major theme parks but disagree with your interpretation of what that means. To my mind, it works very much in Disney's favour that they can claim to have been uniquely cautious among their peers. The calculation would probably be different if they were struggling to attract visitors at the moment, but that doesn't appear to be case. As long as they are turning a profit, they can afford to tread cautiously and may well come off looking better for it in the long run.
I respectfully disagree. Virtually no one going to Disney is worried about going maskless nor will think Disney irresponsible if they drop the requirement. The proof of that is when Disney changed the rules earlier this year and within 24 hours, virtually no one was wearing a mask. If their customers were actually concerned, they would have kept masking even when it became optional. They didn't. I don't think there is any downside to Disney dropping the mask requirement.

Trauma

I don't think it's vague at all. I think it's very clear. They specifically say they "require" masks of associates, contractors, and vendors. Then, in the same paragraph, they say that they "ask" customers. That makes it very clear that they are not required of customers. And most customers in Home Depot are not wearing them.
I used the term “purposely vague” to infer that it gave them deniable plausibility.

Not in the legal sense but certainly for PR.

TehPuddingMan

@Trauma, to offer a less sweeping answer to your question, I don't think Disney will lift the mandate while Orange County's rate of transmission remains substantial. To do so would be to fly directly in the face of the CDC's advice, which in many people's eyes would be bad optics.
Disney lifted the mandate for indoor backstage cast members, which is against CDC recommendation.

Vegas Disney Fan

I respectfully disagree. Virtually no one going to Disney is worried about going maskless nor will think Disney irresponsible if they drop the requirement. The proof of that is when Disney changed the rules earlier this year and within 24 hours, virtually no one was wearing a mask. If their customers were actually concerned, they would have kept masking even when it became optional. They didn't. I don't think there is any downside to Disney dropping the mask requirement.
We went to Disneyland in June/July during the short “masks not required anywhere for vaccinated guests” and I‘d guess 95% of the guests weren’t wearing them, and that’s including all the children who weren’t even eligible to be vaccinated at the time.

Even in liberal states like California the vast majority of people don’t wear masks unless they’re forced to.

LittleBuford

I'm not talking about those currently going to Disney, though; I'm referring to the perceptions of the wider public, including those Disney fans like myself who are currently staying away from crowded theme parks. In this regard, there is a downside to Disney dropping the mask requirement: they open themselves up to accusations of recklessness and could fall in public estimation. Keeping the requirement, on the other hand, loses them nothing, since thousands of people are continuing to visit the parks despite the current restrictions.

Last edited:

Tom P.

We went to Disneyland in June/July during the short “masks not required anywhere for vaccinated guests” and I‘d guess 95% of the guests weren’t wearing them, and that’s including all the children who weren’t even eligible to be vaccinated at the time.

Even in liberal states like California the vast majority of people don’t wear masks unless they’re forced to.
Exactly. Look, there are many, many disagreements throughout this pandemic. Masks are not one of them. The overwhelming majority of people will not wear masks unless forced to do so and are not concerned about going maskless. It's time for them to be dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom