News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I have zero problems wearing them on transportation, but that's it.
I will say, I agree, we just got back from a quick weekend trip, but the boat transportation is a bit tougher, basically no A/C or airflow at all in 99 degree heat. At least its shaded, but that is the price you pay so you don't have to walk.

GimpYancIent

Ok...
So, when sitting at a table with family (maskless) among other families who are maskless... Where does the exhaled and inhaled air from those patrons go?
Does it and the aerosolized droplets possibly containing covid simply fall down around each table?
Isn't it stirred up by passing waitstaff, and customers?
Plus the current of HVAC systems.
Stirring it all around.
It's like trying to keep two liquids separate from each other in the same vessel, when there's a spoon stirring things up.
When at a table the mask is removed in order to eat and drink. While eating and drinking conversations occur and at minimum breathing occurs, hence, air exchange. Whether going to and from the table or just remaining seated at the table every one is breathing the atmosphere enclosed within the restaurant (an enclosed space). The HVAC system (even medical grade) is not going to completely filter all the air to stop any cross contamination. In short masks should be optional wear for guests in restaurants period.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'd also recommend that if you are a bit timid about eating indoors, don't eat at any Disney restaurants at the moment, they are packed in solid, from all our experiences, tables really aren't 6 feet apart. The bars of course are even worse. While people are generally compliant with masking while walking through the restaurant, when people are sitting and talking, that obviously goes out the window.

Heelz2315

I will say, I agree, we just got back from a quick weekend trip, but the boat transportation is a bit tougher, basically no A/C or airflow at all in 99 degree heat. At least its shaded, but that is the price you pay so you don't have to walk.
I'm OK riding the Ferry. Just don't want to wear a mask. Everyone in my family/group will be none of us want to go and try and enjoy Disney with a mask. I had my chance to go last month for a little while and missed my window because of other commitments.

Not sure when or if that'll ever be. I'm beginning to think that day will never come.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

RSoxNo1

Very good article and really it is absolute common sense. Blows my mind that some can't seem to understand it.
You explained it yourself. "absolute common sense" is lacking from many people.

I consider myself a rather intelligent person, but knowing and understanding the limits of my knowledge is something that keeps me out of trouble. Professionally, I'm an accountant and many questions I get muddy the line between accounting and legal questions. Knowing where my knowledge base ends helps mitigate my professional liability.

On the original Colbert Report, he coined the phrase "truthiness" on the very first episode. In context it was done to mock then president Bush, but the concept has been growing. People that re-define truth and facts to suit their self serving interests. It has many forms, but for the most part it points to selfishness, cowardess or otherwise inherent emotional weakness.

I'll steal another explanation from another comedian, Adam Carolla. When he tries to boil something down to the simplest explanation he concludes that anyone that acts in a strange way can often have that behavior explained by one of two ideas, "Stupid or Liar".

We are now in a society that doesn't celebrate intellect, it condemns it.

Lilofan

You explained it yourself. "absolute common sense" is lacking from many people.

I consider myself a rather intelligent person, but knowing and understanding the limits of my knowledge is something that keeps me out of trouble. Professionally, I'm an accountant and many questions I get muddy the line between accounting and legal questions. Knowing where my knowledge base ends helps mitigate my professional liability.

On the original Colbert Report, he coined the phrase "truthiness" on the very first episode. In context it was done to mock then president Bush, but the concept has been growing. People that re-define truth and facts to suit their self serving interests. It has many forms, but for the most part it points to selfishness, cowardess or otherwise inherent emotional weakness.

I'll steal another explanation from another comedian, Adam Carolla. When he tries to boil something down to the simplest explanation he concludes that anyone that acts in a strange way can often have that behavior explained by one of two ideas, "Stupid or Liar".

We are now in a society that doesn't celebrate intellect, it condemns it.
Someone having intellect in the eyes of some is intimidating and thereby the non support of the intellect.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There is no way that anyone can prove a person got sick from Universal or from Disney. Standing in line at the airport among huge crowds bunched together as we were in June is a possibility. In fact anything is a possibility. When you look at the tiny size of the COVID virus and the mesh of a cloth mask constantly put on and off, constantly touched, hot and sweaty I don't think it reasonable to place your hopes on that. In almost all cases you are not standing next to someone with COVID so it appears anything works.
A question:- Why if the virus spreads like wildfire do the 'elites' feel they don't have to mask when partying and us ordinary folk be rebuked for congregating in much smaller numbers. Is it 'do as I say, not do as I do'? Every time I see a politician - past or present - defying the rules imposed on the rest of us I do question why we follow like sheep yet they either don't care about themselves or their families or, as is more likely the case, there is no need to do many of the things we are told to do.

That is not something unique to politicians, any time you have rule makers and rule followers the rules makers will sometime break the rules. I have seen it happen in corporate environments as well as political.

Incomudro

When at a table the mask is removed in order to eat and drink. While eating and drinking conversations occur and at minimum breathing occurs, hence, air exchange. Whether going to and from the table or just remaining seated at the table every one is breathing the atmosphere enclosed within the restaurant (an enclosed space). The HVAC system (even medical grade) is not going to completely filter all the air to stop any cross contamination. In short masks should be optional wear for guests in restaurants period.

Very good article and really it is absolute common sense. Blows my mind that some can't seem to understand it.
There are a number of very large holes in their methodology, and the conclusions they draw from them.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Given the latest data on COVID hospitalizations in Central Florida, I would not expect Disney to reduce the mask requirements any time soon.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Given the latest data on COVID hospitalizations in Central Florida, I would not expect Disney to reduce the mask requirements any time soon.

And that is well within their rights. When we go in the middle of September, I fully expect to be wearing a mask indoors, even if the cases are declining by that time.

baymenxpac

i think it's probably because common sense doesn't pass scientific method. there was no control arm of this duke study. i.e., there can be no conclusions drawn from this. a helpful twitter thread from david zweig explaining this, and his subsequent conversation with the authors of the study that stopped responding once the questions got too hard:

Heelz2315

what’s the best guess when they’ll be relaxed again? Next summer?

donsullivan

Premium Member
what’s the best guess when they’ll be relaxed again? Next summer?
Anyone who gives you a date is making it up for their own benefit/agenda. Disney has consistently been aligned with CDC guidelines and synced their practices with local Central Florida Government. You should not expect Disney to change until both of those organizations change their stance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom