News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

Oh no is it really as bad as they say? I’m flying home from WDW tomorrow and was planning to get tested next week.
The newer ones are a lot less invasive than what was available a year or so ago. They're a little uncomfortable but they don't make my eyes water like the initial ones did.

Nubs70

The point was more likely that vaccination status could be checked, not necessarily that the practice curbed the spread of the virus. Chicago is different from Disney because the political leaders here support the idea of vaccination passports, at least to some extent. Disney's hands are tied by Florida law.
Faster Horses was held a few weeks earlier. Reports, at this point, are 96 cases were spawned there. Not as many as Provincetown.

StaceyH_SD

Sturgis started today and goes until next weekend. Last year that event spread Covid across the country. I expect the same will happen this year.

I’ve done the nasal swab test twice. It’s not pleasant but it’s not really that bad and it takes like 10 seconds.

bdearl41

We just got back from the Virgin Islands. Had to take a test to go. They literally have the swab in you nose for like half a second and only right at the entry. The new testing is so much better in experience. Effectiveness. Who knows?

Incomudro

Oh no is it really as bad as they say? I’m flying home from WDW tomorrow and was planning to get tested next week.
Much like shots, how bad it may be can have a lot to do with how skilled the person doing it is.
The doctor who tested our family of four, months ago after we were afraid one of our son's was exposed - was excellent.
She was highly skilled, and knew exactly how to get the swab where it needed to go and back out swiftly and with the barest minimum of discomfort.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Having been tested semi-regularly (despite being fully vaxxed), I can anecdotally state that the amount of discomfort you feel is almost entirely dependent on the person doing the swab. I’ve had some people keep the thing in there for barely a second, while others poke around for a lot longer. Some of them barely stick the thing up my nose, others go right for my brain. There’s a very wide discrepancy in how people collect the sample.

I'm curious if there is any data on Universal guests getting covid vs WDW guests over the past 2 weeks. With Disney going back to masks inside, and Universal leaving the decision up to their guests, it would be an interesting case study. Probably impossible to measure, but could lend some insight into the masks vs no masks issue.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I'm curious if there is any data on Universal guests getting covid vs WDW guests over the past 2 weeks. With Disney going back to masks inside, and Universal leaving the decision up to their guests, it would be an interesting case study. Probably impossible to measure, but could lend some insight into the masks vs no masks issue.
Probably not much different considering everyone at Disney takes their masks off indoors when they are eating indoors with a lot of other people still but I’m sure those masks help in the slinky dog queue 👀

TrainsOfDisney

There hasn’t been any tracing in the USA that I’m aware of so how would anyone know?

I’m not sure why anyone doesn’t think masks are helpful. It’s like saying washing your hands or taking a shower is a waste of time.

Jrb1979

There hasn’t been any tracing in the USA that I’m aware of so how would anyone know?

I’m not sure why anyone doesn’t think masks are helpful. It’s like saying washing your hands or taking a shower is a waste of time.
It's cause many decided to get vaccinated to stop wearing masks instead of getting vaccinated so they don't get severely sick. It's unbelievable that so many feel that way.

celluloid

It's cause many decided to get vaccinated to stop wearing masks instead of getting vaccinated so they don't get severely sick. It's unbelievable that so many feel that way.

Well that and many people who believes that the masks do nothing, are the same type that were saying the vaccine will not work and is too dangerous based on no evidence. They were also the same ones who said that this thing would be gone by (insert holiday or political event here)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Much like shots, how bad it may be can have a lot to do with how skilled the person doing it is.
The doctor who tested our family of four, months ago after we were afraid one of our son's was exposed - was excellent.
She was highly skilled, and knew exactly how to get the swab where it needed to go and back out swiftly and with the barest minimum of discomfort.

... and on very rare occasion a test can go badly wrong...

disneygeek90

Probably not much different considering everyone at Disney takes their masks off indoors when they are eating indoors with a lot of other people still but I’m sure those masks help in the slinky dog queue 👀
I don't understand this comparison and I think you look at the masks in attractions strategy as Disney saying it's 100% safe elsewhere when that's not what they're saying at all. Some safety measures is better than zero safety measures.

At any given time there's what, 100 guests sitting in a restaurant? Compared to a thousand every hour moving through the HM queue? If someone is spreading it in the restaurant, at least they're not spreading it on HM, too.

I know wearing a mask in the outdoor queues really hangs some people up, but that is being done for simplicity sake. Masks on in all queues and on attractions.

That's one reason why it would be interesting to see the data. It could go a long way towards proving that masks are helpful - or they are not. Hard data from actually real world situations is much more accurate than a test or an opinion. That's why so far I've only posted actual data directly from the CDC. I don't trust media/social media from the left or the right. For me, I am pro-vaccine, anti - mask. However, if data shows that in the time period that Disney went back to indoor masking, their guests have not gotten sick, vs. during the same period Universal guests have gotten sick, I would be a believer.

Just to clarify, I don't really have any data for being anti-mask, that's why I think this would be good information. It's an aerosolized virus, that much we know. There are the numbers from states that mask more vs states that mask less, and numbers from countries like Japan that mask nearly 100%, and the curves seem to be the same. But there could be other circumstances involved with that, we just don't know. In the Universal vs Disney case, it would be as close to apples vs. apples is it gets - thousands of people, in very close quarters (fill in all the available space), coming from all over the country, all age groups, extended periods of time, etc. I wish I had the evidence to argue pro/against either way, but I don't. This could go a long way towards settling the debate.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Just to clarify, I don't really have any data for being anti-mask, that's why I think this would be good information. It's an aerosolized virus, that much we know. There are the numbers from states that mask more vs states that mask less, and numbers from countries like Japan that mask nearly 100%, and the curves seem to be the same. But there could be other circumstances involved with that, we just don't know. In the Universal vs Disney case, it would be as close to apples vs. apples is it gets - thousands of people, in very close quarters (fill in all the available space), coming from all over the country, all age groups, extended periods of time, etc. I wish I had the evidence to argue pro/against either way, but I don't. This could go a long way towards settling the debate.

There is a lot of good data here:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I don't understand this comparison and I think you look at the masks in attractions strategy as Disney saying it's 100% safe elsewhere when that's not what they're saying at all. Some safety measures is better than zero safety measures.

At any given time there's what, 100 guests sitting in a restaurant? Compared to a thousand every hour moving through the HM queue? If someone is spreading it in the restaurant, at least they're not spreading it on HM, too.

I know wearing a mask in the outdoor queues really hangs some people up, but that is being done for simplicity sake. Masks on in all queues and on attractions.
So did they change the masks rules to only protect guests from covid in certain places then?

Is it really about safety, the look of safety, or are they trying to straddle the fence

disneygeek90

So did they change the masks rules to only protect guests from covid in certain places then?

Is it really about safety, the look of safety, or are they trying to straddle the fence
I mean... restaurants have never been closed this whole time. Masks are being required indoors everywhere else and they are attempting to support the local government and local outbreak more than the place up the street can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom