News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper Gutman

So the internet is responsible for people in the news slanting everything. People became slanters in the news because of the internet.

Ok.

Not going to argue.
The news has always been slanted. Read up on newspapers in the 1790s or 1850s - or any period in US history. The myth of the impartial press in some bygone golden age is disingenuously used as part of the larger project to dismiss uncomfortable modern news in its entirety - “fake news.”

The advent of social media has destroyed any gatekeepers, who might have been biased but felt some obligation to the truth, and replaced them with a firehose of often bad faith nonsense. The intended result is to give people the “truth” they want or to make them give up on the very possibility of discerning the “truth.” That’s why we have such an increase in influential conspiracy theories and no shared sense of reality.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
The news has always been slanted. Read up on newspapers in the 1790s or 1850s - or any period in US history. The myth of the impartial press in some bygone golden age is disingenuously used as part of the larger project to dismiss uncomfortable modern news in its entirety - “fake news.”

The advent of social media has destroyed any gatekeepers, who might have been biased but felt some obligation to the truth, and replaced them with a firehose of often bad faith nonsense. The intended result is to give people the “truth” they want or to make them give up on the very possibility of discerning the “truth.” That’s why we have such an increase in influential conspiracy theories and no shared sense of reality.
Don’t forget the desire for ad revenue generated by crazy click bait headlines

Father Robinson

Fully on board with the point that some news outlets give bad press as a result of they're own beaurocratic political agendas, not the point I'm making. I'm responding to someone claiming "all" news outlets are disreputable.

pdude81

Has anyone noticed any significant change in crowds or ride times based on this policy, either at Disney or at Universal? I know it's only been a couple days, but curious to see if there are any noticeable impacts.

zero creativity

Has anyone noticed any significant change in crowds or ride times based on this policy, either at Disney or at Universal? I know it's only been a couple days, but curious to see if there are any noticeable impacts.
Magic kingdom seemed to have better waits Saturday morning, but by the afternoon all were pretty high again

KrzyKtty

I've been at Universal since Friday. After reading these threads for weeks, quite honestly there are a lot more people at the parks wearing masks than I thought there would be. At Universal today I would say easily up to 40%, maybe higher and I'm just being too conservative. Overall people have been very respectful too. I'll be perfectly honest that I don't have a clue what's going in the threads because I've been basically offline since Friday, but just thought I would let everyone know.

KrzyKtty

Universal studios was fairly empty most of today, But I'm really not sure what's normal for the park anymore. I haven't been here since 2017. A universal studios, the only rides with wait times over 30 minutes at the middle of the day were Rip Roaring Rocket, Minions, and Escape from Gringotts. Islands of adventure always seemed a little bit crowded in certain areas like Hogsmeade and Jurassic Park, but I think that's because the walkways were relatively thin for the sheer amount of people trying to pass through them. Quite honestly most of the regular level rides were still under 30 minutes for the brunt of the day. The heavy hitter is got up to an hour at certain points.

disneygeek90

I've been at Universal since Friday. After reading these threads for weeks, quite honestly there are a lot more people at the parks wearing masks than I thought there would be. At Universal today I would say easily up to 40%, maybe higher and I'm just being too conservative. Overall people have been very respectful too. I'll be perfectly honest that I don't have a clue what's going in the threads because I've been basically offline since Friday, but just thought I would let everyone know.
Disney with a mask mandate is about 95%. Mask requirements work when enforced. 40% is nowhere near where Disney is at.

Thanks for the info on Universal, I haven’t been over there in a few weeks.

KrzyKtty

Disney with a mask mandate is about 95%. Mask requirements work in enforcement. 40% is nowhere near where Disney is at.
I'm not saying it is. I'm simply saying that the mask usage at Universal is a lot higher than what I was guessing it would be considering They do not have a mandate. After reading the opinions on these threads, and reports of 10% usage at the park's previously, I was surprised quite honestly to see as many people using them as I was.

disneygeek90

I'm not saying it is. I'm simply saying that the mask usage at Universal is a lot higher than what I was guessing it would be considering They do not have a mandate. After reading the opinions on these threads, and reports of 10% usage at the park's previously, I was surprised quite honestly to see as many people using them as I was.
It is definitely higher than it was a few weeks ago. It’s just disappointing because 40% is still quite low.

KrzyKtty

I will give Universal this. Every single day since Friday they have had an army of survey takers at Islands of Adventure asking people of their opinion regarding Universal trips and the virus in general. The questions I answered were whether our trip was delayed or rescheduled due to the pandemic. Our feelings on safety regarding our current trip with the pandemic. Our concerns overall on the scale of everybody should do everything to the only important thing is the economy. They were clearly trying to figure out where everybody's opinion lie. Not sure where they're going to go with it, but it was interesting to see that they were trying to figure it out.

Last edited:

Clamman73

Just hopped on the Skyliner and they are seating multiple parties together.
johnny depp ew GIF

DisneyCane

This is the only thing I’m worried about with masks in our upcoming trip, I don’t want to pay for a vacation that has limited experiences, but I do understand with the current situation going on. Would you recommend Disney is still worth the money you spend for the trip with masks?
I guess it depends on how bothered you are wearing a mask. As long as it isn't unbearably annoying for you to wear one in a queue that will be 45 minutes+ in a lot of cases, I don't think it will ruin the trip or anything like that. During my post COVID reopening trips, the lack of pre-shows were far more detrimental to the enjoyment than the mask wearing was. As long as they don't start skipping the pre-shows again it's probably worth the trip. Like I said, the mask didn't ruin the thrill rides, it just made them a little less thrilling not having the wind in your face.

I don't think photopass would be worth the money since all the on ride photos are your face covered in a mask.

For me personally, it's a little different. I've been a passholder for almost 20 years, I live 3 1/2 hours away from WDW and have been there well over 100 times. I've ridden every E-ticket at least 50 times with the exception of FoP (around 20) and RotR (3). Therefore, I don't really have a desire to wear a mask and deal with the pretty heavy crowds right now. If I could have it like it was on July 17th last year at AK when FoP was a walk on and they had a shortcut from the exit to the FP line to re-ride, I'd wear 3 masks!

DisneyCane

Conspiracy theories have been around a long time as well. I remember as a kid in the 80's, my uncle telling me how somebody invented a carburetor that would make cars get 100 MPG but the oil companies bought the patent and destroyed the design. Once I learned physics, chemistry and thermodynamics I realized how ridiculous that claim was because it isn't something that even theoretically could be done with a carburetor design but that didn't stop the story from spreading.

Gran Fiesta

I guess it depends on how bothered you are wearing a mask. As long as it isn't unbearably annoying for you to wear one in a queue that will be 45 minutes+ in a lot of cases, I don't think it will ruin the trip or anything like that. During my post COVID reopening trips, the lack of pre-shows were far more detrimental to the enjoyment than the mask wearing was. As long as they don't start skipping the pre-shows again it's probably worth the trip. Like I said, the mask didn't ruin the thrill rides, it just made them a little less thrilling not having the wind in your face.

I don't think photopass would be worth the money since all the on ride photos are your face covered in a mask.

For me personally, it's a little different. I've been a passholder for almost 20 years, I live 3 1/2 hours away from WDW and have been there well over 100 times. I've ridden every E-ticket at least 50 times with the exception of FoP (around 20) and RotR (3). Therefore, I don't really have a desire to wear a mask and deal with the pretty heavy crowds right now. If I could have it like it was on July 17th last year at AK when FoP was a walk on and they had a shortcut from the exit to the FP line to re-ride, I'd wear 3 masks!
Yeah I agree, we are planning on going and having a great time as long they don’t bring back plexiglass, get rid of preshows, or get rid of fireworks. Any rumors of this happening? @wdwmagic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom