News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otterhead

Contrast that with Fox News who until this week were still pushing vaccine conspiracies
Awkwardly, they're back to pushing anti-vax conspiracies as of yesterday, with Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, and Sean Hannity going back to telling people to be suspicious of them or flat-out saying that they don't recommend them. Which seems dangerous and stupid during a pandemic that's killing people, to me.

Chi84

Premium Member
-Great arguing skills
-Already had Covid
-Vaccine would only benefit me
-My choice
Actually, vaccinated people who get COVID carry much lower viral loads - to the point that there is no reliable evidence showing they are transmitting the virus to others. That’s part of the reason the CDC hasn’t gone back to recommending that vaccinated people wear masks. National Geographic ran an article on it yesterday but I can’t access it today.

Jedijax719

Every person who is vaccinated not only helps themselves but helps others. Viruses need to keep being transmitted and replicating inside a host in order to mutate. If more people are vaccinated, it gives the virus less opportunity for transmission and thus mutation. This is true within a person (the antibodies will act upon viral exposure) and from person to person (if viruses are stopped, they cannot be transmitted).

The reason people who are vaccinated are, by and large, having less effect IF they are infected is because they have the antibodies already in them. Viruses can sneak by (chances are those who had breakthrough cases have higher loads and exposures) but the antibodies will prevent viruses from replicating as rapidly as if there was no vaccine. It's like having a million police (doing their jobs) on the streets. There could still be crimes, but the chances of perpetrators being stopped are greater (not trying to get into a police debate).

And think of this. Right now, children under 12 cannot yet be vaccinated. They will be going to schools soon. If there is a chunk of population that remains un-vaccinated, children will be more likely to contract the virus and then spread it to each other at school. If a great majority of adults were vaccinated in a particular community, the chances of children contracting it would be much lower and thus the spread would be much lower.

Here's my take. If you are immobilized or otherwise don't ever go out of your home (or extremely rarely) then being unvaccinated, while not optimum, would have less effect AS LONG as you wear masks when you do go out. If you are unvaccinated, have no medical reason to be so, and go out frequently and are around many people frequently, AND do not wear a mask, you are being extremely irresponsible and selfish.

I would say that 99% of people who are currently wearing masks have also been vaccinated. Why? Because they are already concerned about COVID. If they are unvaccinated, it is most likely due to medical reasons.

Likewise, I'd say that 99% of unvaccinated people (who are just refusing to do it) are also NOT wearing masks. Let that sink in.

Tony the Tigger

Neither does taking the vaccine.

I've heard that if you're vaccinated you're less likely to transmit it, but I'd just like to know exactly how that works? I'm not a scientist but I've had my share of biology and I'm fairly confident that's not how it works!

Okay, let me ask you something. In which of these scenarios do you think one is more likely to transmit Covid to others?

-Vaccinated with no mask
-Unvaccinated with a mask
You’re overthinking it. Delta is bad. Get the shot. It helps you and everyone. Very simple.
Having previously had Covid offers you... no protection.
That’s not accurate, either.

Otterhead

Didn't you?
You said unvaccinateds with masks are MORE likely to transmit covid?
Do you seriously believe that? The vaccine has nothing to do with keeping a physical virus off your person! You may be less likely to experience symptoms but you still carry it!

As I said before, I'm not getting too involved with this. Think about what I said, and please start using more news sources!
No. I didn't. Please, please stop putting words in my mouth.

My big fear in returning to places like WDW are people like yourself who think they're "immune" because they coughed for a few days one time and refuse to get vaccinated (because of "freedom") and won't wear a mask. That's how people get infected, that's how the virus spreads.

LittleBuford

Since being vaccinated means you can still carry/transmit the disease, it ONLY benefits you, and no one else, so you shouldn't take it just so your loved ones can be safe, it's entirely your decision and only affects your life.
I’m pretty sure that my being protected from the worst effects of COVID helps everyone—I’m less likely to take up a hospital bed, and my friends and family are less likely to see me suffer illness or die. My dad was hospitalised with COVID, spent months on a ventilator, and nearly lost his life. It was a miserable experience for all of us, not just him. Had he been vaccinated at the time (he wasn’t yet eligible), it’s almost certain that he, and the rest of us, would have been spared the ordeal.

Being vaccinated benefits everyone, especially those you love.

correcaminos

I don't want to get too involved in this, but I just want to say that if someone doesn't trust something, that's entirely their choice - you can provide as much evidence as you like, but citizens have every right to be suspicious of the vaccine, especially with how much it's being pushed in our faces. Me being vaccinated doesn't help the entire country, only myself (if that.)

Since being vaccinated means you can still carry/transmit the disease, it ONLY benefits you, and no one else, so you shouldn't take it just so your loved ones can be safe, it's entirely your decision and only affects your life. And for that matter you're probably more likely to transmit it because if you've been vaccinated you may not be wearing a mask.

If you're like me and have already had the virus (I had a cough for 48-72 hours) I have no reason to fear Covid so I will not be taking the vaccine.

Is there anything wrong with being cautious of the vaccine or its side effects? Isn't being cautious what Covid is all about?
No, being vaccinated helps all, not just the singular. I am shocked people say this. Vaccinations were never about being singular. Being vaccinated greatly reduces the ability to transmit. By not vaccinating you are part of the problem and spread. Minimalizing it because you had it easy is not wise to do as well.

Studies have proved that vaccinated is better than natural immunity.
Sorry, maybe you're not quite following what's going on. These are mRNA vaccines? Brand new I think..
Nope, been around for decades.

Next anti-vax info you want to share that isn't true?

DisneyCane

I'm not taking any joy in saying that.

I call out white Republicans because they are, nationally, the largest segment of people choosing not to be vaccinated for political reasons. America's most popular news channel, Fox News, caters specifically to white Republicans, and they have been consistently telling their viewers to not trust the vaccines and to not get vaccinated. I think that's a direct cause of why nearly 50% of the country is vaccine-hesitant.

The largest gated community in the world is The Villages, next to WDW, and it is overwhelmingly white, retired, Republican, and anti-vax. It's bigger than Manhattan.
I'm pretty sure The Villages is located in Sumpter County. Sumpter County has 69% of eligible residents vaccinated, tied for 2nd in FL with Monroe and both only behind Miami-Dade. They can't be that anti-vax in The Villages.

Otterhead

They can't be that anti-vax in The Villages.
So, I'm actually kind of fascinated now; someone earlier in the thread stated that they were around 70-80% vaccinated, and it turns out, they're right! So despite being one of the largest concentration of solidly red-state voting Republicans, and a place where a friend who lives there says "nobody here trusts the vaccine, we trust DeSantis and Trump", they're mostly vaccinated. I wonder if they're doing a good job of community outreach.

Figgy1

Premium Member
So, I'm actually kind of fascinated now; someone earlier in the thread stated that they were around 70-80% vaccinated, and it turns out, they're right! So despite being one of the largest concentration of solidly red-state voting Republicans, and a place where a friend who lives there says "nobody here trusts the vaccine, we trust DeSantis and Trump", they're mostly vaccinated. I wonder if they're doing a good job of community outreach.
It's also a solidly old community. Most of them got the shot before they became a subject we do not talk about here

DisneyCane

I think that in the older age groups, risk assessment trumps political beliefs (no pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom