News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otterhead

Widespread masking in the United States is done. It's not coming back. People will not do it anymore, even if they are told to, and even if there is a government mandate. They simply will not comply.
And, in my experience, the folks not complying will make things very uncomfortable for those of us who still choose to wear masks indoors. My fear is exactly that -- if Disney does try to protect guests by following the science, most guests (especially locals) will simply refuse, knowing that the park can't, and won't, enforce it.

Tom P.

And, in my experience, the folks not complying will make things very uncomfortable for those of us who still choose to wear masks indoors. My fear is exactly that -- if Disney does try to protect guests by following the science, most guests (especially locals) will simply refuse, knowing that the park can't, and won't, enforce it.
Can you explain what you mean by this? How would it make it more uncomfortable for you who choose to wear masks indoors? As far as I'm aware, everyplace still permits people to wear masks if they choose. No one -- or at least very few -- are forbidding it. Are you saying you're not comfortable being there around all those unmasked people for fear of catching Covid? Or are you saying that the unmasked people are treating you badly because you are wearing a mask?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Widespread masking in the United States is done. It's not coming back. People will not do it anymore, even if they are told to, and even if there is a government mandate. They simply will not comply.

Now, I'm not arguing that's right or wrong. I'm simply telling you what I think is the reality. And I think Disney knows that.
LA County is a counter example to this. Reports are that since they reinstituted the policy, compliance has been reasonably good.

Can you explain what you mean by this? How would it make it more uncomfortable for you who choose to wear masks indoors? As far as I'm aware, everyplace still permits people to wear masks if they choose. No one -- or at least very few -- are forbidding it. Are you saying you're not comfortable being there around all those unmasked people for fear of catching Covid? Or are you saying that the unmasked people are treating you badly because you are wearing a mask?

Since mask wearing primarily prevents someone who has covid from spreading it, the former for me. Especially where my kids are concerned.

Otterhead

On one level, like a few other folks have mentioned here, so few people wear masks there right now that if you do, you get lots of weird looks; I mean, even in my area (far from Florida), I've had people intentionally cough on me and and that sort of thing when I'm the only person in a store wearing a mask. It's simply very awkward. (I'm vaccinated but have continued wearing a mask as Delta spreads)

But I'm also just thinking about how angry people will be if they're asked to go back to it at WDW. My family was *attacked* while in the Little Mermaid queue on my last trip by a group of anti-maskers making fun of my mother-in-law for wearing her mask... and that was when there was still ostensibly a mask mandate in the parks. If the mandate comes back, I'm afraid there'll be some nasty scenes in the parks.

dreday3

Yup. Indoor masks aren't a big deal. They should do that so that they don't need to bring back distancing

I do agree with this.

If I have to wear masks indoors (only) again at end of October at WDW, I won't be thrilled, but of course I'll do it.

And we wouldn't cancel over it, but my gosh, if people really do cancel over it, maybe it won't be such a madhouse when we go! :D

Heelz2315

Masks are not required at Disneyland correct? The OC mayor said the same thing as the Florida mayor just said and DL hasn’t budged.
Is that correct?

lnsemsf

I'm sorry but it's time to let the unvaccinated suffer. Quite honestly if you choose to get sick and die, that's your choice but I'm sick of being punished for other's stupidity. No masks. Never again! In the words of Walt himself... That ship has sailed.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I would cancel my upcoming too. Its wrong to punish the smarter vaccinated due to the foolish unvaccinated.
I don’t even classify as those who don’t get the vaccine foolish, some can’t for various reasons and others just don’t want to. Not my problem

sullyinMT

If they were following the science to protect guests, they'd be verifying vaccine status and creating two sets of rules for guests based on that status. If/until the CDC says otherwise, the science says vaccination is the gold standard and nothing else is needed. The same can be said for virtually every business in the US - and current FL law as I understand it from 2k miles away allows for just that.

It's too difficult and maybe costly for businesses to adopt such a system, and it would make for a tough decision for some families with kids on either side of the vaccination age threshold, but that isn't anyone's fault in the 49% of fully vaccinated Americans, a number that should be closer to 60% by Labor Day.

I had no problems continuing to mask even after I was fully vaccinated as 2021 started, because we needed time as a population to vaccinate everyone. Even when the never-vaxxers were running amok out here, I stayed masked up until businesses said I was free to remove my mask as a vaccinated customer. On some level, indoors only wouldn't bother me. Flying, which still has a mandate for all, is no big deal. I'd be agitated but wouldn't cancel.

I feel for my 11 year old, and everyone under 12. I feel for kids 12-17 who might want a vaccine but live in a household prohibiting it. I feel for the truly medically exempt who can't get any vaccine. But going backward like this is allowing the yahoos their victory.

No way I'd want to be in a deciding position at WDW with this. Even less so an underpaid CM in the parks if masks for all returns, because we all know there will be fools out there.

KrzyKtty

On one level, like a few other folks have mentioned here, so few people wear masks there right now that if you do, you get lots of weird looks; I mean, even in my area (far from Florida), I've had people intentionally cough on me and and that sort of thing when I'm the only person in a store wearing a mask. It's simply very awkward. (I'm vaccinated but have continued wearing a mask as Delta spreads)

But I'm also just thinking about how angry people will be if they're asked to go back to it at WDW. My family was *attacked* while in the Little Mermaid queue on my last trip by a group of anti-maskers making fun of my mother-in-law for wearing her mask... and that was when there was still ostensibly a mask mandate in the parks. If the mandate comes back, I'm afraid there'll be some nasty scenes in the parks.
I'm really sorry you've had to deal with that. I tend to be a very easygoing person, but if somebody maliciously and purposefully coughed on me to make a statement, I might end up having to deck them in the face and then deal with the cops later.

pdude81

Masks are not required at Disneyland correct? The OC mayor said the same thing as the Florida mayor just said and DL hasn’t budged.
Is that correct?
The mayor of Orange County Florida doesn't hold much sway over Disneyland. But in LA county CA they have mandated and it's required at Universal Hollywood.

KrzyKtty

Is that correct?
Strangely enough they're both Orange County lol. Just an Orange County and two different states 🤣

mikejs78

Premium Member
I would cancel my upcoming too. Its wrong to punish the smarter vaccinated due to the foolish unvaccinated.

There are two potential solutions here:

1. Indoor masks
2. Vaccine passports

Unfortunately opposition to both has become somewhat of a religion, and this pandemic will continue until enough people get vaccinated that we can get a level of herd immunity. And with the R factor of the Delta varient, I don't think we are anywhere near that threshold yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom