News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripken10

Isn't the CDC expected to revise its guidelines on kids wearing masks soon? I thought I read that somewhere.
Yes, the director said that in an interview yesterday. Lots of studies regarding kids, masks, risk levels and such have been released that they are using to reaccess their guidelines.

TehPuddingMan

I'd also note how contagious COVID is. Kids may encounter minor symptoms if infected, but they can still spread COVID.

Controlling community spread has always been a challenge with COVID, and that's why kids wear masks too.
There is plenty of evidence that pre-adolescent children do not spread Covid as easily as adults. The risk was always that a child would infect a high risk individual. With vaccines, this is no longer the case. It’s time for children to unmask. As soon as a majority of the schools get out, you’ll see new CDC guidance suggesting the same.

CaptainAmerica

I'd also note how contagious COVID is. Kids may encounter minor symptoms if infected, but they can still spread COVID.
Kids *can* spread COVID but the data are extremely clear on this... they do not spread it like adults do. Less severe symptoms are strongly correlated with less transmission.

Controlling community spread has always been a challenge with COVID, and that's why kids wear masks too.
But the people to whom the kids could spread it have all been vaccinated (or offered the chance to be vaccinated and declined).

I completely agree with you that the reason we were masking kids was to prevent community spread, not to protect the kids (who didn't need protecting in the first place). But that argument has shifted. People are insisting on masking kids until the kids themselves are vaccinated.

ToTBellHop

Kids *can* spread COVID but the data are extremely clear on this... they do not spread it like adults do. Less severe symptoms are strongly correlated with less transmission.

But the people to whom the kids could spread it have all been vaccinated (or offered the chance to be vaccinated and declined).

I completely agree with you that the reason we were masking kids was to prevent community spread, not to protect the kids (who didn't need protecting in the first place). But that argument has shifted. People are insisting on masking kids until the kids themselves are vaccinated.
Real talk: if that is the argument, we need to make flu shots or masks mandatory for children during flu season. Flu kills more kids.

Figgy1

Premium Member

We're still 3 weeks away from everybody who jumped right way on an appointments from those wanting to be being fully vaccinated in some places

Wendy Pleakley

I think most people agree we're shifting from group effort to personal responsibility. The question is, are we shifting there too soon? Someone commented that it's time to lift restrictions because we're "at the finish line". At the time, full vaccination rates in Florida were at 38%. Is that the finish line?

It's appalling the number of people holding out on vaccines, and at some point we have to give up on them. The question is, is it reasonable to give the process a bit more time to play out? The goal of 70% having first shots by July feels like a comfortable timeline.

Yes, some people are saying kids should be masked. I'm going to assume the CDC Director has expertise on the subject.

During a White House Covid-19 briefing Thursday, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky, referenced the research and urged parents to get their teens vaccinated.

“In the month leading up to the recommendations of the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine for teens and adolescents 12 and older, CDC observed troubling data regarding the hospitalizations of adolescents with Covid-19. More concerning were the number of adolescents admitted to the hospital who required treatment in the intensive care unit with mechanical ventilation,” Walensky said, adding that the data “force us to redouble our motivation to get our adolescents and young adults vaccinated.”

She also recommended that young people continue to wear masks and take precautions to protect themselves and others until they are fully vaccinated.

CaptainAmerica

We're still 3 weeks away from everybody who jumped right way on an appointments from those wanting to be being fully vaccinated in some places
Everyone was eligible April 19.

I understand that "fully vaccinated" means second dose plus two weeks, but first dose alone offers significant protection as well.

legwand77

I think most people agree we're shifting from group effort to personal responsibility. The question is, are we shifting there too soon? Someone commented that it's time to lift restrictions because we're "at the finish line". At the time, full vaccination rates in Florida were at 38%. Is that the finish line?

It's appalling the number of people holding out on vaccines, and at some point we have to give up on them. The question is, is it reasonable to give the process a bit more time to play out? The goal of 70% having first shots by July feels like a comfortable timeline.

Yes, some people are saying kids should be masked. I'm going to assume the CDC Director has expertise on the subject.

During a White House Covid-19 briefing Thursday, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky, referenced the research and urged parents to get their teens vaccinated.

She also recommended that young people continue to wear masks and take precautions to protect themselves and others until they are fully vaccinated.
Per the CDC's own data the hospitalizations have been falling in that age group. The article is written on a study from Jan-Mar 31st. Very misleading for CNN to reference that study today and not the more recent significant decline. Today it is June. Rates have been dropping quickly for over a month and then some.

E3DEDkhXIBIxPGB.png

Last edited:

Ripken10

Would you think that with Avengers Campus opening today, whether they were ready to make an announcement today (not saying they are) they would likely wait just due to their focus being Avengers Campus today. If so, what would you THINK that period would be before they would move on from Avengers Campus. Perhaps I am overthinking that part, but it just made sense to me that their focus today would be Avengers Campus, and not removing the mandate today (or tomorrow).

ToTBellHop

Would you think that with Avengers Campus opening today, whether they were ready to make an announcement today (not saying they are) they would likely wait just due to their focus being Avengers Campus today. If so, what would you THINK that period would be before they would move on from Avengers Campus. Perhaps I am overthinking that part, but it just made sense to me that their focus today would be Avengers Campus, and not removing the mandate today (or tomorrow).
No impact. The land is just open now. The Kerfuffle already happened.

legwand77

DId they really make that much of announcement when they dropped outdoor masks? more like updated the website etc.

Ripken10

DId they really make that much of announcement when they dropped outdoor masks? more like updated the website etc.
Whether they did or not, it made "headlines". I just wouldn't think they would want any news possibly overshadowing the news of Avengers Campus opening...unless it is only bad press for that.

But I overthought it I think

CarolinaSoprano

For the people who wonder how WDW would/should deal with children under 12 not being vaccinated and masks, they can do what Dollywood is doing:

Our revised policy now allows fully vaccinated guests and guests aged 12 and under to visit Dollywood Parks & Resorts without wearing a mask or physically distancing (both indoors or outdoors).

Masks are required for non-vaccinated guests older than age of 12 in all indoor areas and remain optional in outdoor areas where social distancing can be maintained.

Simple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom