News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

legwand77

This is steadily down? Seems fairly stagnant to me.
View attachment 561139
And then look at how many test are run , matches that, you are looking at raw data not in context. Here you go for a better example

9D408684-9309-4908-AB53-943205E25277.jpeg

disneygeek90

Daily case counts are not what they look at. Experts refer to 7 to 14 day averages (and more) for a reason. The data you just presented shows nearly a 10% decrease in the 7 day averages. So in this case, you are showing a great example of steady decrease.
The 14 day average from those numbers were 166. I’m not saying it’s not significantly better than it was in January, but the question was surrounding the past 14 day period. Of which, there was no steady decline.

Chomama

Exactly this. I haven’t understood this since last year when the parks reopened. You’re SO concerned about all of this but you’re getting on a plane, traveling from out of state and going to what was pretty much the most crowded place you could possibly be once things started to reopen because you can’t sit home? Then you expect everyone else to keep their masks on, don’t come within 6 feet of you, etc. Yeah, in a perfect world, people should have been doing those things. But not everyone did. And now, forget about it. Hardly anyone is wearing masks anymore. As a local who’s been to several of the parks since the mask mandates were dropped or relaxed, people have had enough.
I think this may be directed at me? I wasn’t trying to communicate that people should stay home OR that I have excessive fears about Covid. Obviously I am at wdw with 4 kids, so I am not all that concerned. I am simply disappointed that more adults aren’t choosing to get vaccinated and young kids are very aware of grown ups dropping masks and distance while they have no access to a vaccine. We repeatedly explain to our kids that they are low risk. That said, they have spent over a year masking up all day, every day. They are understandably confused and a bit uncomfortable to see adults unmasking suddenly. I really didn’t have some big point to make. The whole thing has been sad. Kids have lost a lot and no matter how much we reassure them they are not oblivious to the fact that they have seen the world change like a yo-yo for over a year. It’s not easy on them.

Oddysey

The 14 day average from those numbers were 166. I’m not saying it’s not significantly better than it was in January, but the question was surrounding the past 14 day period. Of which, there was no steady decline.

As pointed out by Legwand77 this is not the only component used to establish the overall trend because it does not provide full context. Nevertheless, the data you chose to post demonstrates the opposite of your point. To be more clear, the first 7 days indicate 1219 cases. The 2nd 7 days indicated 1106 cases. This demonstrates a downward trend of approximately 9.2% over the 14 day period of which you chose.

Downward trends in a data set are rarely a consistent downward slope (see stock market indexes). Data points are higher and lower on some days, but the overall trend for the period presented is downward.

Last edited:
This is steadily down? Seems fairly stagnant to me.
View attachment 561139
Without knowing how many tests were given on each day, these numbers don't mean much.
Here are the percent positive numbers for Orange County over the past couple of weeks. Numbers jump around, but the rolling average is steadily declining.
5/14 - 4.41%
5/15 - 4.02%
5/16 - 3.75%
5/17 - 4.41%
5/18 - 3.34%
5/19 - 3.31%
5/20 - 2.93%
5/21 - 3.23%
5/22 - 3.45%
5/23 - 3.11%
5/24 - 3.66%
5/25 - 3.51%
5/26 - 2.40%
5/27 - 3.07%

DisneyCane

Without knowing how many tests were given on each day, these numbers don't mean much.
Here are the percent positive numbers for Orange County over the past couple of weeks. Numbers jump around, but the rolling average is steadily declining.
5/14 - 4.41%
5/15 - 4.02%
5/16 - 3.75%
5/17 - 4.41%
5/18 - 3.34%
5/19 - 3.31%
5/20 - 2.93%
5/21 - 3.23%
5/22 - 3.45%
5/23 - 3.11%
5/24 - 3.66%
5/25 - 3.51%
5/26 - 2.40%
5/27 - 3.07%
You can calculate new tests by dividing new cases by percent positive (in decimal form).

Lilofan

I think this may be directed at me? I wasn’t trying to communicate that people should stay home OR that I have excessive fears about Covid. Obviously I am at wdw with 4 kids, so I am not all that concerned. I am simply disappointed that more adults aren’t choosing to get vaccinated and young kids are very aware of grown ups dropping masks and distance while they have no access to a vaccine. We repeatedly explain to our kids that they are low risk. That said, they have spent over a year masking up all day, every day. They are understandably confused and a bit uncomfortable to see adults unmasking suddenly. I really didn’t have some big point to make. The whole thing has been sad. Kids have lost a lot and no matter how much we reassure them they are not oblivious to the fact that they have seen the world change like a yo-yo for over a year. It’s not easy on them.
Yes it is also disappointing that only 53% of Orange County residents as of late May have been vaccinated or 1 out of every 2 residents in the Orlando area. Vaccine centers have been closing up shop due to poor lack of participants while vaccine tourism is on the rise where wealthy guests from parts of the world are flying to the USA to get the coveted shot.

legwand77

Yes it is also disappointing that only 53% of Orange County residents as of late May have been vaccinated or 1 out of every 2 residents in the Orlando area. Vaccine centers have been closing up shop due to poor lack of participants while vaccine tourism is on the rise where wealthy guests from parts of the world are flying to the USA to get the coveted shot.
It is about 63% of those eligible, plus add in at least about 10% immunity for people that already had it, you are up to 75%. Even higher for the people at real risk.

Because it’s getting hot and increasingly uncomfortable to wear them… at some point we need to tear off the bandaid now that we have a real cure in vaccines. There will never be a perfect time to eliminate masks, not last week, not this week, not in two weeks, and not in two months, Covid is likely here to stay in a diminished capacity so it will never be the “right” time to get rid of the masks, at some point we need to make it voluntary and let people decide for themselves.

I got my second vaccination April 6, wore a mask every day since then until May 20th when my state, and my job, said it was no longer required for vaccinated people, I haven’t worn it a single time since, I still have it in my car but I haven’t seen a single business anywhere in Las Vegas requiring them in over a week. You still see a ton of masks but it’s now voluntary.

Either we trust that the vaccines work or we don’t, it also has the added benefit that it encourages those sitting on the fence to get vaccinated, I’ve had 3 coworkers get their first shot in the last week because work now allows vaccinated workers not to wear masks, it‘s a major incentive for fence sitters and procrastinators.
This is what I have been saying for a while now. I masked 100% prior to getting vaccinated, and then continued to do so until the CDC gave their recommendation. Now I only carry one in case a place of business still requires it, but I have only had to do that once at Home Depot. I followed the science when masking was recommended, and now I am following the science when it is no longer required. My daughter is only half-vaccinated, so she still wears the mask even if the rest of the family who are 100% don't.

Amidala

Take risks as you see fit.....your health is your responsibility not anyone else’s.
It isn't enough to wear a mask on your own. It's a collective effort, and if the people around you aren't either vaccinated or taking the proper precautions (masks, distancing, etc.) you're still at risk. Unfortunately in this situation, I think the safest bet for unvaxxed immunocompromised people is to avoid Disney and large crowds in general. Even the vaccination rates in OC don't mean much since so many guests are coming in from out of state.

Ripken10

I bet you that 10% should be higher. Way more people had Covid than we think.
It would be safely assumed that a larger percentage of the people that got covid also got the vaccine. Also, while the period at which someone is "immune" from the virus is still not certain, for a larger percentage of those that did get it (remember that the numbers were very high last summer compared to 2 to 3 months ago) they would reasonably be thought they do not have that immunity any more. So likely the 10% number is too high. At the very least the number is undeterminable due to not know the exact period one is immune, therefore making them still vulnerable. That's why they still focus on those that have received the first dose.

bdearl41

It would be safely assumed that a larger percentage of the people that got covid also got the vaccine. Also, while the period at which someone is "immune" from the virus is still not certain, for a larger percentage of those that did get it (remember that the numbers were very high last summer compared to 2 to 3 months ago) they would reasonably be thought they do not have that immunity any more. So likely the 10% number is too high. At the very least the number is undeterminable due to not know the exact period one is immune, therefore making them still vulnerable. That's why they still focus on those that have received the first dose.
No way. To conclude that you have any idea what that number is, is irresponsible. You have to blanket it based on assumed infection rates. The assumed infection rate by the cdc was 30-35% meaning if you blanket that against the population, against the non vaccinated you could extrapolate 15-18% as the most likely naturally immune rate for the non vaccinated scientifically, however it’s an impossible number to gauge. But statistically it’s much more likely to be over 10 than under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom