News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColeTrain04

Yes there is a concern. Some people in my town contacted covid , don't have a desire to get vaccinated, continue working in service industry jobs and now no longer wear masks working directly with the public. For one thing, I know some who are in this group and with me fully vaccinated I will continue to social distance from them and wear my mask when I am around those that I know who are part of the antivaxx crowd.
Ok. So are you scared your vaccine doesn’t work? The vaccine is widely available to any adult who wants it, cases are in a sharp decline, etc. there is absolutely no point in wearing masks any longer. Now, if we start to see a big surge in cases (which is doubtful according to most experts) then we can bring the safety measures back. Sorry to sound rude but your feelings don’t dictate the science 🤷🏻‍♂️

Polkadotdress

No not really. People who are vaccinated shouldn’t have one concern about people who aren’t. People who are immune compromised should adjust their lifestyles accordingly. (Ps I’m immune compromised) the vast majority of people shouldn’t have their lives dictated by rules that are meant to protect the overwhelming minority of people. I’ve adjusted the way I live during flu season for years now, Covid didn’t change anything.
Immunocompromised here too. Who exactly should I be staying away from? Those with masks, because they are hypothetically not vaxx'd? Or those without masks, since they are likely anti-vaxxers?

The way we've rolled this out has caused COMPLETE confusion for those who need to continue to try and be safe as there is no way identify the people who cause the most risk to me. Other than completely staying in my house for...ever, what am I supposed to do?

Lilofan

Ok. So are you scared your vaccine doesn’t work? The vaccine is widely available to any adult who wants it, cases are in a sharp decline, etc. there is absolutely no point in wearing masks any longer. Now, if we start to see a big surge in cases (which is doubtful according to most experts) then we can bring the safety measures back. Sorry to sound rude but your feelings don’t dictate the science 🤷🏻‍♂️
The risk of contacting " mild " symptoms? No thanks.

Chi84

Premium Member
The risk of contacting " mild " symptoms? No thanks.
Do you believe the vaccine prevents only serious illness as opposed to actual infection? Or is it that you are unwilling to take even the small risk of a breakthrough case? Absolutely no judgment, and no need to answer if you don't want to, but there is a lot of early information out there that has been corrected after more studies were done.

mgf

I would just again point out the concept of externalities. We talk a lot about individual choice at this point, but the government (by nature of its role) is focused on macro impacts.

No illness is contracted and treated in a vacuum. It uses resources, it puts people at risk, it costs money, it costs productivity, it potentially burdens societal systems (ex: foster care, etc). That is why, for example, the government took action on second hand smoke -- it was a negative externality of smoking.

To just say "let Darwin sort it out" ignores the significant costs to society - on both the public and private sector sides.

Mindy55

Immunocompromised here too. Who exactly should I be staying away from? Those with masks, because they are hypothetically not vaxx'd? Or those without masks, since they are likely anti-vaxxers?

The way we've rolled this out has caused COMPLETE confusion for those who need to continue to try and be safe as there is no way identify the people who cause the most risk to me. Other than completely staying in my house for...ever, what am I supposed to do?

Mindy55

I have to ask, how did you stay healthy prior to Covid-19? And let’s not forget, not everyone can or needs to be vaccinated- those who have been infected, especially recently, are being advised by their medical professionals not to get it (they currently have the antibodies the vaccine would be giving them) Certainly do your own investigation here … I’m choosing to focus on myself and my family, I’m not worried about what other people have done or not or why.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I would just again point out the concept of externalities. We talk a lot about individual choice at this point, but the government (by nature of its role) is focused on macro impacts.

No illness is contracted and treated in a vacuum. It uses resources, it puts people at risk, it costs money, it costs productivity, it potentially burdens societal systems (ex: foster care, etc). That is why, for example, the government took action on second hand smoke -- it was a negative externality of smoking.

To just say "let Darwin sort it out" ignores the significant costs to society - on both the public and private sector sides.

Here is a story that a lot people might not know about. It's about safety-net hospitals, hospitals that are required to treat all patients even if they can't pay. These hospitals were struggling financially even before the pandemic, and the pandemic made things even worse for them.

Tamandua

Maybe we can all agree that the way this whole thing has been handled has been a complete failure on every level in pretty much every state and at the national level this entire time. I can't look at California (where I live) and see anything but failure as we've had some of the most extreme restrictions and mandates and it didn't stop millions of confirmed cases and over 60,000 deaths. It's pretty much the worst possible outcome to have ravaged people's lives through government regulation and to still have had such a huge portion of the population get covid.

The thing that I miss the most about pre-covid times is the existence of personal responsibility and the acknowledgement that there is always some risk involved in everything. We went from "two weeks to slow the spread" to not being able to go back to normal until there is basically no risk for anyone, no matter how small. I feel like some people are going to keep saying that there's too much risk until everyone is wearing a bubble suit. If you have concerns about your own health, I would advise you to buy a mask that actually works to block viruses (not these cloth masks) and take every precaution that you need to protect yourself, and stop worrying about everyone else.

Chi84

Premium Member
So you’re telling other people what to do because you don’t like other people telling you what to do?
I don't think that's what the poster meant. I interpreted it as referring to government mandates that have the force of law (like imposing fines against businesses) - not just advice on what to do. I would have no issue with WDW putting up signs after all mandates are dropped, saying that COVID is likely present and if you are unvaccinated you are advised to take precautions.

Mindy55

Maybe we can all agree that the way this whole thing has been handled has been a complete failure on every level in pretty much every state and at the national level this entire time. I can't look at California (where I live) and see anything but failure as we've had some of the most extreme restrictions and mandates and it didn't stop millions of confirmed cases and over 60,000 deaths. It's pretty much the worst possible outcome to have ravaged people's lives through government regulation and to still have had such a huge portion of the population get covid.

The thing that I miss the most about pre-covid times is the existence of personal responsibility and the acknowledgement that there is always some risk involved in everything. We went from "two weeks to slow the spread" to not being able to go back to normal until there is basically no risk for anyone, no matter how small. I feel like some people are going to keep saying that there's too much risk until everyone is wearing a bubble suit. If you have concerns about your own health, I would advise you to buy a mask that actually works to block viruses (not these cloth masks) and take every precaution that you need to protect yourself, and stop worrying about everyone else.
Thank you!!! So well said

Oddysey

As a vaccinated adult I really feel for my kids. I have 2 that got the shot and 2 that aren’t old enough. It’s so sad watching them feel left out! We are at Disney now and my 9 year old is so frustrated by adults not wearing masks inside. She keeps saying - don’t they know I can’t get a shot? We shared an elevator today with a man who shared that he won’t be getting the vaccine. She quickly retreated into the corner and gave me her concerned look. The kids have had to witness and process a horrible global tragedy. They are processing corporate trauma and it hurts to see them left behind. Even though they are lower risk they have heard about Covid for over a year and they internalize the seriousness of what has occurred. They aren’t just going to be okay. Anyway. No point really except that it sucks kids are being written off as we rip masks off.

I think it is easy for us adults to sometimes lose sight of this because we are going through our own stuff, but 2020 has had a significant impact on the development of a young generation.

My 9 year old used to love playing in the dirt and catching lizards. When asked why she no longer does this her response was “I’m afraid of viruses because I can’t see them so I don’t play in the dirt anymore.” She has gotten sick twice during the pandemic (not with Covid) and each time she woke up during the night in a shear panic that she would die from not being able to breath. One of the times she was sick it was the flu and she was relieved to have the FLU! She stopped panicking at night after the flu test even though the fever persisted a few more days.

Lastly, without to much detail, she developed a legit phobia (not using word incorrectly) of something she was only mildly uncomfortable with before 2020 and I have seen her have legit panic attacks at 9 years of age when worrying about things not even related to the new phobia.

I know children change quickly, but she is been shaped by this whole event more incredibly than I would have imagined. In hindsight, I should have stayed away from the news reports at the beginning while she was around. Nevertheless, staying away from the news wouldn’t have changed that she couldn’t visit her grandparents for a short while, and that she saw the whole City shut down for a period. It also wouldn’t have shielded here from the new school safety protocols, masking, etc.

If you pay any attention to the news it seems the anxiety of 2020 really brought out the worst in some adults. If adults had this hard of a time handling themselves in 2020 (soaring crime, more fighting amongst ourselves, depression, overdose, suicide) then what of our kids? My heart really goes out to the young generation that dealing with growing and developing during the oddest year in my lifetime.

Very sorry for the rant, but your post gave me a chance to relate.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Agree! But why are you so down on cloth masks? I find a properly fitting, well constructed, properly maintained (as in washed) cloth mask does the job just fine.

ElvisMickey

Just saw online that several movie theater chains are dropping their mask requirements after holding out for two weeks, including AMC. Apparently this came down 3 days ago but I somehow missed it. So I wonder how that is working at Disney Springs since Disney (for the moment) is pretty much the lone holdout in regards to masks indoors 🤔. Has anyone been there over the weekend? On a side note, now AMC will get me to renew my Stubs pass 😃

Last edited:

legwand77

Just saw online that several movie theater chains are dropping their mask requirements after holding out for two weeks, including AMC. So I wonder how that will work at Disney Springs since Disney (for the moment) is pretty much the lone holdout in regards to masks indoors 🤔. On a side note, now AMC will get me to renew my Stubbs pass 😃
Theaters will follow local policies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom