Disney, Marvel & Universal's Tangled Web

_Scar

I don't think this is correct. The hardcore Marvel fans likely spent a week or two grousing online after the deal was announced and saying things like "If they touch Spider-Man, I'm done," but I imagine very few longtime fans abandoned the comics just because Disney bought Marvel.

The diehards are probably taking a wait-and-see approach to find out if Disney plans to interfere with the Marvel product or be a hands off corporate parent.

I too don't think barely any turned their back on Marvel just because Disney bought them out. And with any franchise, if it starts to produce crap that you don't care for then odds are you will stop becoming a fan- not just with Marvel.

StageFrenzy

Rebrand doesn't seem to effect Pixar. And I didn't bring up Disny-fying their products, but there are kid toys already that you can say Marvel "disnified".

:lol:

You can't compare pixar and marvel, pixar had a very very close relationship with disney before the purchase, whereas Marvel had a very minimal relationship with disney and was closer to some other studios.

On whether Uni should keep the heros:

It doesn't matter to me that the rides have marvel characters attached to them. If the ride is themed and good enough, you can attach any character or theme to it. Just because dr. doom and fantastic four are attached to the freefall ride doesn't make it any better than it would be without the superheros, nor does the incredible hulk improve the rollercoaster.

Wilt Dasney

It doesn't matter to me that the rides have marvel characters attached to them. If the ride is themed and good enough, you can attach any character or theme to it. Just because dr. doom and fantastic four are attached to the freefall ride doesn't make it any better than it would be without the superheros, nor does the incredible hulk improve the rollercoaster.
All of the "carnival" rides (Storm, Doom, Hulk) could have any or no theming and be essentially the same experience, I agree. There's nothing integral about the characters to those ride experiences.

Spidey is a different kettle of fish altogether. The story absolutely dictates the on-ride experience. Re-theming that ride would make it a completely different experience, even if the physical movements remained exactly the same.

It's like the difference between Cinderella's Golden Carousel and Peter Pan's Flight. You could give the former a Sleeping Beauty overlay tomorrow and it would be the same ride...not so much with the latter.

StageFrenzy

All of the "carnival" rides (Storm, Doom, Hulk) could have any or no theming and be essentially the same experience, I agree. There's nothing integral about the characters to those ride experiences.

Spidey is a different kettle of fish altogether. The story absolutely dictates the on-ride experience. Re-theming that ride would make it a completely different experience, even if the physical movements remained exactly the same.

It's like the difference between Cinderella's Golden Carousel and Peter Pan's Flight. You could give the former a Sleeping Beauty overlay tomorrow and it would be the same ride...not so much with the latter.

If it is done well and a back story is established in the que the ride would still be good with another character. Simulator updates don't always do well though i.e. Akbar's Adventure at Busch Gardens.

_Scar

Yea, I don't think Spidey would be the same AT ALL with him gone.

Just see in the next year or two with the new Transformers ride using the same tech- I bet Spidey will still be the fan-favorite and mostly because it's Spidey!

kcnole

Rebrand doesn't seem to effect Pixar.

Apples and Oranges. Pixar was essentially what Disney used to be. In fact most people just always assumed Pixar was Disney. They have always been that connected, at least publicly.

Marvel on the other hand is a different beast. I'm no fan of comics, but I have lots of friends who are, and they all revolted when they heard that Disney was buying Marvel. Like some have said though they've decided to take a wait and see approach to it. Is Disney going to let Marvel continue to operate as it always has or are they going to come in and attempt to tone it down and make it more "Disney". If you changed the name to Disney's Marvel comics they'd lose their minds.

imagineer boy

Exactly. It'd be like Anheiser buying Disney and then showing Mickey holding a glass of beer in the park commercials. It would be a monumentally boneheaded business decision, guaranteed to alienate the built-in fanbase that Disney spent years building.

If Disney is smart, they'll keep their hands off Marvel from a creative standpoint and just sit back and count the money.

Agreed 110%!!!:sohappy:

ValentineMouse

I'm a big Disney fan, and my friend is a big Marvel fan. I have to say, it was rather fun being able to say "my company bought your company :p".

He's taken the opinion, and tells me a number of comic fans share in the opinion, that Disney owning Marvel isn't bad as long as Disney let Marvel do their own thing.

They seem to have let Pixar do there own thing, so it seems to me that the situation will work. If anything, Disney eventually bringing together all the disparate contracts with competing companies will be a very good thing for Marvel. Imagine a whole series of Marvel films that can interconnect just like the comics do.

JEANYLASER

I'm a big Disney fan, and my friend is a big Marvel fan. I have to say, it was rather fun being able to say "my company bought your company :p".

He's taken the opinion, and tells me a number of comic fans share in the opinion, that Disney owning Marvel isn't bad as long as Disney let Marvel do their own thing.

They seem to have let Pixar do there own thing, so it seems to me that the situation will work. If anything, Disney eventually bringing together all the disparate contracts with competing companies will be a very good thing for Marvel. Imagine a whole series of Marvel films that can interconnect just like the comics do.
Yeah I am a big Disney fan and a Marvel fan too! Just say Disney-Marvel do their own thing too!

protiius

Disney bought Marvel because it was a fiscally sound move...I imagine they will have very little interaction with the brand and allow it to run as is, knowing that it is currently a huge draws at cinemas...With Marvel's plans of releasing Thor, Captain America and the Avengers in the near future I think Disney have just wanted to get on board with a solid organisation that is already in full flow with no sign of slowing down in the near future...

:dollar signs:

Studios Fan

Disney bought Marvel because it was a fiscally sound move...I imagine they will have very little interaction with the brand and allow it to run as is, knowing that it is currently a huge draws at cinemas...With Marvel's plans of releasing Thor, Captain America and the Avengers in the near future I think Disney have just wanted to get on board with a solid organisation that is already in full flow with no sign of slowing down in the near future...

I agree.

Does anyone know what is meant by the confidentiality agreement can be terminated after 2 years? That was seemingly a throw away line, and could have very important ramifications. Does that effect the character usage, or just the ability for Disney to see Universal's books?

The only thing they can terminate after 2 years is the way the information sharing is handled, not any aspect of the original contract itself.

PhilharMagician

The only thing they can terminate after 2 years is the way the information sharing is handled, not any aspect of the original contract itself.

Keep in mind that most likely that is when the original contract expires. Logically they would tie the timeframe of the confidentiality agreement along with the initial Marvel contract.

protiius

And as a follow on from this, as long as both Universal and Disney are profiting from the current situation it will not change. Universal will keep Marvel at IOA (a theme overhaul would be ineffective and poor business having just spent all that money on WWoHP.) but will not just make his cheques out to the mouse. Everyone wins!

Simples.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom