Disney, Marvel & Universal's Tangled Web

SirGoofy

:shrug:

Why would it? They're owned by the mouse now- and if that name change bothers them then I would have to guess Disney buying them in the first place ticked them off.

Believe me, if they put Disney in front of Marvel, you'd see a huge drop off for Marvel.

kcnole

Well I wonder what will happen in the next few years. IoA opened in may of 99' so the contact has to be getting close to the end.

IOA's contract isn't going to expire any time soon. You don't spend that much money on something that you just have to rip out after a few years. Its a long term contract.

As to the other conversation about putting Disney in front of Marvel it would definitely tick off a lot of Marvel fans. There are already a ton of people who are furious that Disney bought them at all, if they slap their name on it it'll push them over the edge. Whether they'll come back after a while or not I don't know, but I don't think its a risk worth taking.

Studios Fan

Does anyone know what is meant by the confidentiality agreement can be terminated after 2 years? That was seemingly a throw away line, and could have very important ramifications. Does that effect the character usage, or just the ability for Disney to see Universal's books?

That was the most interesting thing to me in the article as well. I think time will tell what happens but I figure Disney will eventually buy them out. It makes the most sense for both parties.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Exactly. Universal has the headache with this deal not Disney. And since the consensus is Universal would never give up Marvel, it makes me believe that is exactly what they will do.

Writing those checks to the mouse will be deemed a poor business plan in the long run when the fix is so obvious. Spiderman will be playing second fiddle to Potter and ultimately Uni will realize they just don't need Marvel to sell tickets.

OK Jt I know you work as a butler on Fantasy Island so I shouldnt expect you to comprehend buisness information but HTF did you arrive at that mental conclusion based on the above article, or are you just talking through your hoop as per usual.

MousDad

Why would it? They're owned by the mouse now- and if that name change bothers them then I would have to guess Disney buying them in the first place ticked them off.

Believe me, if they put Disney in front of Marvel, you'd see a huge drop off for Marvel.

:lol: Whatever you say.

What Goof is trying to say, is that the Marvel fanbase (the equivalent of what you are to Disney as a fanboy) is bothered, was ticked off in the first place that Disney bought them, and would probably rather chew on a handful of rusty nails than buy or support any Marvel product that has even the slightest sniff of Disneyfication. And rebranding the name would be way too much of a step in that direction for them.

SWatsi

RE: Marvel fanboys upset... Since I'm one of those Marvel fans, it does bother a large number Marvel fans or rather, it did when the deal was announced.

You can liken it to Disney being bought by a larger company that you don't feel has the same ideals and principles as Disney. Somehow I don't think Disney fans would be pleased by that.

Wilt Dasney

You can liken it to Disney being bought by a larger company that you don't feel has the same ideals and principles as Disney. Somehow I don't think Disney fans would be pleased by that.
Exactly. It'd be like Anheiser buying Disney and then showing Mickey holding a glass of beer in the park commercials. It would be a monumentally boneheaded business decision, guaranteed to alienate the built-in fanbase that Disney spent years building.

If Disney is smart, they'll keep their hands off Marvel from a creative standpoint and just sit back and count the money.

_Scar

What Goof is trying to say, is that the Marvel fanbase (the equivalent of what you are to Disney as a fanboy) is bothered, was ticked off in the first place that Disney bought them, and would probably rather chew on a handful of rusty nails than buy or support any Marvel product that has even the slightest sniff of Disneyfication. And rebranding the name would be way too much of a step in that direction for them.

Rebrand doesn't seem to effect Pixar. And I didn't bring up Disny-fying their products, but there are kid toys already that you can say Marvel "disnified".

:lol:

Figment632

Rebrand doesn't seem to effect Pixar. And I didn't bring up Disny-fying their products, but there are kid toys already that you can say Marvel "disnified".

You are talking about a crowd that most likely hates Disney and everything it stands for. Any hint of Disney and they will abandone it Goofy is absolutly right.

_Scar

You are talking about a crowd that most likely hates Disney and everything it stands for. Any hint of Disney and they will abandone it Goofy is absolutly right.

Then they would be gone already, so why does it matter?

Disney never ever steps in and changes the equation to properties they buy that have lasted the test of time. If people are that dumb to assume the mouse will tamper with the classics then let them think that way.

EPCOT Explorer

Exactly. It'd be like Anheiser buying Disney and then showing Mickey holding a glass of beer in the park commercials. It would be a monumentally boneheaded business decision, guaranteed to alienate the built-in fanbase that Disney spent years building.

If Disney is smart, they'll keep their hands off Marvel from a creative standpoint and just sit back and count the money.

Yes. Please. :lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think no matter what, it's going to take quite a while for the impact of this deal to fully impact Disney, especially in the parks. But, I also think that the long-term potential was a driving force behind the deal from the beginning....

Wilt Dasney

Then they would be gone already, so why does it matter?
I don't think this is correct. The hardcore Marvel fans likely spent a week or two grousing online after the deal was announced and saying things like "If they touch Spider-Man, I'm done," but I imagine very few longtime fans abandoned the comics just because Disney bought Marvel.

The diehards are probably taking a wait-and-see approach to find out if Disney plans to interfere with the Marvel product or be a hands off corporate parent.

SirGoofy

I don't think this is correct. The hardcore Marvel fans likely spent a week or two grousing online after the deal was announced and saying things like "If they touch Spider-Man, I'm done," but I imagine very few longtime fans abandoned the comics just because Disney bought Marvel.

The diehards are probably taking a wait-and-see approach to find out if Disney plans to interfere with the Marvel product or be a hands off corporate parent.

Exactly.:wave:

Monorail_Orange

Exactly.:wave:

FWIW, bear in mind Disney recently put themselves in the same situation of those diehard Marvel fans...remember the whole selling the Disney Stores to Children's Place fiasco? The ultimate reason Disney bought the stores back?

Simple, they didn't like the way Children's Place was running the business.

Methinks Disney has enough brains in its upper echelons to know not to mess around with Marvel's core values...you do that, you kill Marvel (much the same was Children's Place very nearly slaughtered the Disney Stores). Killing Marvel will mean less profit, not more. And after all the corporate gobbledy-gook, Disney only continues to exist if it makes money.

SirGoofy

FWIW, bear in mind Disney recently put themselves in the same situation of those diehard Marvel fans...remember the whole selling the Disney Stores to Children's Place fiasco? The ultimate reason Disney bought the stores back?

Simple, they didn't like the way Children's Place was running the business.

Methinks Disney has enough brains in its upper echelons to know not to mess around with Marvel's core values...you do that, you kill Marvel (much the same was Children's Place very nearly slaughtered the Disney Stores). Killing Marvel will mean less profit, not more. And after all the corporate gobbledy-gook, Disney only continues to exist if it makes money.

Oh, I'd like to think Disney has the brains not to mess with it as well.

But who knows these days.:lol:

Monorail_Orange

Oh, I'd like to think Disney has the brains not to mess with it as well.

But who knows these days.:lol:

True, but those upper echelons (Iger, specifically - things started moving around in the stores almost immediately following his taking the reins) were the ones that bought the stores back...not the group that sold them in the first place. Hopefully they will avoid repeating the mistakes of the past - especially having been on the short end of the stick in the recent past.

But who knows, they could go brain-dead at any given moment too :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom