Disney making its theme park food healthier

CoffeeJedi

To be honest, they could do as much or more good by reducing portion sizes by half. I've never managed to eat a full meal as served at WDW...
At Cosmic Ray's with the meal plan, you can use one counter service credit to get half a chicken and half a rack of ribs...

Let me repeat that...

Half a chicken, sitting on top of a half rack of ribs, with mashed potatoes and a dessert.

One counter-service credit? You would think that this meal was intended for a family of 4, but no, this is designed for one person (unless there was a mistake in the computer).

timoteo

We often only eat two meals at Disney, because the portions are so large you kind feel sick afterwards. Usually it is breakfast and an early dinner. On top of that you would like to be able to have an ice cream or some kinda treat. But if you eat three of their meals it is ridiculous, you cannot have a treat like an ice cream cause you just feel so full. I would actually like to have more smaller healthier meals where I could have a dole whip or mickey head and maybe get a frozen fruit drink in the afteroon. Maybe I could also get a baked good from main street. I would rather eat like six small meals with a couple of those being the snack type treat stuff. But to do that you need to make those other meals better and smaller quality stuff.

DisneyDefenders

Seasons

Personally, one of my favorite food spots is Seasons at The Land Pavillion, where most of the foods are quite healthy and taste great! :slurp:

KevinRyanCole

My favorite meal in Disney is already healthy--- i'd kill for the smoked turkey whole wheat wrap at Electric Umbrella with the Pineapple coleslaw---- it sucks so i sub fries for it... but i always seem to get both.

DisneyMusician2

Does this affect all of the great sit-down restaurants in Epcot as well? I didn't see anything referencing them specifically, but I wouldn't want to see too many of those menus change. I really love some of that stuff!

SewIn2Disney

At Cosmic Ray's with the meal plan, you can use one counter service credit to get half a chicken and half a rack of ribs...

Let me repeat that...

Half a chicken, sitting on top of a half rack of ribs, with mashed potatoes and a dessert.

One counter-service credit? You would think that this meal was intended for a family of 4, but no, this is designed for one person (unless there was a mistake in the computer).
Nope, not a mistake. And my dad ate the whole thing the last time we were there (we were on the free DP), and he's not a big man either! Ribs are not a "filling" food, so they are more of a side to the chicken. And he got fries instead of mashed, which we all shared. (we were seeing how much we could spend on the DP, since it was free, and that plate is most obviously the most expensive counter service thing there is!)

jasondiff

Nope, not a mistake. And my dad ate the whole thing the last time we were there (we were on the free DP), and he's not a big man either! Ribs are not a "filling" food, so they are more of a side to the chicken. And he got fries instead of mashed, which we all shared. (we were seeing how much we could spend on the DP, since it was free, and that plate is most obviously the most expensive counter service thing there is!)

If Disney is trying to help people be healthy, they should get rid of the Dining Plan altogether, which seems much of the time to encourage people to eat MORE than they otherwise would, just because it's free. Many people wouldn't get dessert at a counter-service place but now they do not because they want it but because it's free.

I'm currently taking a health class in college and my professor is a nutritional researcher and a physical fitness wacko - wacky as he may be tho, I agree with his opinion on a subject like this.

He says that it's not the food that's making us fat, it's the fact that most people spend a lot of their free time either sitting watching a TV, doing something on the computer, playing video games or sitting in a car. He argues that it's our lack of moving that has made us all heavier. He points out that people over the last one hundred years have become heavier because of the fact that we tend to do more sitting activities than we do physcial activities.

The foods 100 years ago contained just as much, if not more calories and fat than what we have today - he claims the biggest difference being that today we have computers, televisions and cars. The fact that even though the grocery store might be 2 blocks away...most people fop in their cars and drive rather than walk. He believes and has a study ongoing at the moment involving 2 groups of adults...one that eats whatever they want, but keeps a very active lifestyle...and then the other one that allows people to eat healthy, but continue the standard lifestyle of sitting watching TV, riding in a car, taking the escalator, etc.

He plans on publishing the results once the study is completed in another month or two, but said that in most cases, the more active people (who eat food like McDonalds) are actually losing weight faster than the people who are eating healthier foods.

Before this class, I never even considered the fact that most people don't move around enough in their lifestyles and did think that maybe the overweightedness of the US is because of fast food, but now....I've started to see a different aspect, which is the lifestyle that we not only grow up in, but the one that we live right here...right now.

Wilt Dasney

I think the article is worded confusingly. It says Disney plans to offer sides like apple sauce and carrots INSTEAD OF fries with kids' meals. Does "instead of" mean "as an optional alternative to" or "in place of"? I interpreted it the second way, but it sounds like everybody else read it the first way.

Wilt Dasney

The company should not allow the opinions of other adults to influence the message they are trying to send.

What about the opinions of parents with picky eaters, or who promise their kids they can eat french fries every day as part of their vacation? I still haven't gathered whether these are optional additions or wholesale substitutions. I don't like the idea of Disney telling a parent they can't feed their kids french fries, if that's what this comes down to.

It's not like a week or two of "healthy eating" on vacation is going to be a drop in the bucket against America's health problems. As long as this is optional, fine. If it's Disney forcing it on parents, I think it's self-righteous and unfair (not to mention pointless).

metscool

I did not like see it in the paper today. It was on the front page. I don't care what I eat as long as it is food I will eat it.

Shaman

I think this a great move...having a healthy alternative is a good thing....especially if you're dieting.

Our society really needs to be forced to eat and live healthier but lets face it, healthy doesn't equal profits in some fields, since Disney is in the entertainment business they stand to gain from having people live longer though....let us be thankful....

:lookaroun:lol:

tigsmom

What about the opinions of parents with picky eaters, or who promise their kids they can eat french fries every day as part of their vacation? I still haven't gathered whether these are optional additions or wholesale substitutions. I don't like the idea of Disney telling a parent they can't feed their kids french fries, if that's what this comes down to.

It's not like a week or two of "healthy eating" on vacation is going to be a drop in the bucket against America's health problems. As long as this is optional, fine. If it's Disney forcing it on parents, I think it's self-righteous and unfair (not to mention pointless).

The healthier choices will be the norm, but you can still have fries at every meal if you want...you just have to ask for them.

Change on Disney's plate

Theme parks move toward healthful foods for kids and adults.

Scott Powers
Sentinel Staff Writer

October 17, 2006

Carrots, apples and low-fat milk are replacing french fries and soda at Walt Disney World as the company adopts a new attitude toward theme-park food, especially for kids.

Soon, visitors to Disney World and other Disney theme parks might have to search for big portions of junk food because they'll be pushed to the bottoms of menus. Snacks will get smaller and less sugary. Burgers, french fries and pizza will be less fatty. Items such as fruit on a stick will show up more.

Walt Disney Co. President Robert Iger on Monday announced a two-year plan to improve nutrition not just in the theme parks but in any food the company sells, brands or promotes. That includes foods in restaurants that offer Disney toys and consumer products available in some stores, including Publix Super Markets.

Iger told The Associated Press the move was in response to comments from parents about the eating habits of their children.

The company was "well aware of the huge responsibility we have, given our reach and our ability to impact people's behavior and opinions," Iger said from Singapore, where he was on business.

Disney's changes begin with children's meals but will affect adult foods as well, Disney officials said. Calories, fat, saturated fat, sodium and sugar will be restricted in all children-focused foods, from chicken nuggets to ice-cream snacks. Trans fats will be cut from foods by the end of 2007 in the theme parks and the end of 2008 for Disney foods sold elsewhere.

Disney's not alone. SeaWorld Orlando and its parent company, Anheuser-Busch Adventure Parks, on Monday also announced a commitment to healthful foods. SeaWorld is restricting calories, fats and sugars in some foods, has converted a whole restaurant, Mama's Kitchen, to nutritious foods and is offering fruit alternatives to fries.

Want fries with that?

Some changes are already in place at Disney World. Children's meals come with carrots, applesauce or grapes, low-fat milk, water or 100 percent fruit juice.

If children want fries or soda, they will have to make special requests. And some fried foods such as chicken nuggets are now free of added trans fats and cooked in oils free of trans fats, Disney said.

"It's a first good step. It's seen as a long-term project," said Dr. Keith Thomas Ayoob, a New York pediatric nutritionist and associate clinical professor at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Ayoob was hired by Disney with Dr. James O. Hill of the Center for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado to help overhaul its food offerings. "Believe it or not, Disney wanted to make even more sweeping, drastic changes. Dr. Hill and I said, let's slow down . . . and make it a long-term commitment."

Menu options change

Some of the wholesome-food options have been in place for months at some of Disney's fast-service restaurants.

"It's a nice change of pace from the burger and fries," said Ann Jensen of Minneapolis, whose young daughters Allison and Molly were eating deli sandwiches and grapes at Disney-MGM Studios. "I like having the choice."

Still, those wishing for broad offerings may have to wait.

Christina Topaloglou, on vacation from New York City with her family at Disney-MGM on Monday, pointed to the applesauce and cup of fruit that her daughters, Ioli Baltas, 8, and Yves Baltas, 4, were eating with their chicken nuggets. "That's not a meal; it's a snack," she said.

Topaloglou said her family is conscious about eating healthful foods and never eats fried foods, except on this trip. She knows more healthful options may be available in full-service restaurants, but they're not practical, so they eat what they find on the run. Even without trans fats, the nuggets didn't impress her. "We feel that after three days here we're going to spend a week at home on food cleansing," she said.

Beware the finicky eaters

A Universal Orlando official said that company offers fruits and salads in some restaurants, but attempts to sell fruit everywhere in the parks were ended because they weren't popular.

That's one of the issues Disney and SeaWorld may face: You can lead kids to broccoli, but can you make them eat it?

Yes, said Linda Warren, a vice president at Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. Many of the comfort foods people expect in theme parks will always be there -- they just won't be as bad, she said.

"We want to make sure what we do is still tasty. We want the look and texture and taste that is still pleasing to guests," Warren said. "We're going to look to offer the nutritional value. We'll look for a lower-fat cheese, a different crust for the pizza . . ."

In a written statement issued by Disney, Margo Wootan, nutrition-policy director for the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a public-nutrition-advocacy center, called Disney's announcement "welcome news."

For the next step, she called on Disney and its parent company, ABC, to re-examine the food advertising it accepts.

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

justducky78

This is from the allears.net newsletter I received today - hopefully this article will ease people's minds! :D

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts released an official statement yesterday about its new children's menus and how they affirm the company's commitment to promoting healthier kids' diets. These new "well-balanced meals" for children are now the standard offering at Disney-operated restaurants and kiosks at its U.S. parks. In addition, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts announced a plan to eliminate all added trans fats and improve the nutritional value and enhance the taste of most of its food offerings for kids and adults by the end of 2007. The new food guidelines are aimed at giving parents and children healthier eating options. In addition, Disney Consumer Products has already begun to offer many licensed products that comply with the guidelines. The revised kids' meals have been available since the beginning of October and include a beverage choice of low fat milk, 100 percent fruit juice or water and a side dish such as unsweetened applesauce, baby carrots or fresh fruit. Although the more nutritious side dishes and beverages have been available within the parks and resorts for the last three years, they are now advertised more prominently on menus and in signage. Recognizing that visits to Disney parks are vacations, parents will still be able to request more indulgent meals and snacks from a wide variety of food offerings.
In addition to removing all added trans fats from foods served in the parks and resorts over the next 12 months, Disney will be constantly looking for ways to improve the nutritional profiles and taste of its most popular entrees, including low fat and vegetarian options. Other changes include:
-- Introducing a new Guest-tested hamburger formulation with fat content not to exceed 20 percent and hamburger buns with 10 percent whole wheat
-- Testing new pizza offerings with lower bread and lower-fat cheese content
-- Working with manufacturers in reformulating recipes for candy, packaged foods and bakery items sold at the parks or identifying replacement products and
-- Ensuring compelling packaging for the more nutritious food offerings as well as portion-controlled snacks and treats.
For the full press release: http://allearsnet.com/news/hnews.htm#101706
Have your children tried the new, healthier kids' menus? Let us know what you think: allearsnet@yahoo.com
Take a look at a sample of the new children's menu here: http://allearsnet.com/menu/menu_ddpkids.htm

xx_lilo_xx

that cleared a lot up for me i just read the uk artical and was confussed. thought if the change the kids meals with no fires what are pepole with conditions like diadetic going to do? these kids need to eat thing like fries so the blood suger at the right level. this is harder for some than other over there so ovusly it will depend on the child.

sorry about any spelling mistakes i'm have learning diffcultys and i cant spell what it called so not going to try

KrazyKowboy

Almost everything about WDW includes something for everyone. I say add all you want, but don't take away anything.
When I go to WDW it's because I'm looking for a great vacation, and lots of great places to eat. :slurp:
During that week I'm not the least bit concerned about carbs, trans fat, or calories. Putting all that behind me for a week is what vacations are all about. :veryconfu
If that was in my plans for vacation I'd be booking a room at a health resort, not at WDW. :hammer:
So take the food police and stick them on Mission Space. Put them in orbit and hope they never make it back !
:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom