• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor Disney Looking To Trade The Theme Park Rights of Alien with Universal in exchange for Black Panther to Build a Wakanda Pavillion at Epcot

britain

I’d rather take Wakanda as the replacement for Future World than as a fake country added to WS.

It would simply be Shuri’s Expo, and would provide a guide to the design aesthetic of the signage, pathways, color pallet, etc. The attractions in the pavilions would more or less stay the same.

But without Black Panther himself? Still not sure if it’s worth it.

NormC

Premium Member
Advertisement
Wakanda in World Showcase is not different the Frozen in World Showcase.
I think it is different. Norway is still there and is still a real country. Frozen didn't replace it. They added a fictional fairy tale ride to the area with a fictional city. Yes, we can argue about whether or not it is truly Norwegian based but if you have watched any of the extras on the Frozen DVD or BluRay you can see that Disney believes it is. Wakanda on the other hand is complete fiction.

Last edited:

GhostlyGoofy

If anything replace innoventions with a testing lab of the latest wakanda Vibranium Technologies.

Or get it sponsored by Lockheed and have an attraction that compares the fictional weapons in the film to real life weapons. 😜

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
This remains one of the stupidest and most nonsensical WDW rumours I’ve ever heard.

They might as well go the whole hog, buy some more IP and just replace the UK pavilion with Middle Earth or Narnia. Knock down Japan and build a Pokemon land, they’d all be just as thematically on point as Wakanda in World Showcase.
Walk through a wardrobe in the UK...voi friggin la. Likewise, real African country up front, walk through the shimmering drapery and you’ve discovered the hidden world of Wakanda.

Rodan75

Wakanda could be considered and maybe no trade necessary. We act like we know everything about that contract, when the amendments (which likely more effectively define ‘family’) are not public. We assume that BP is in ‘our’ definition of families for either Avengers or FF. But Black Panther may have not been included in either, officially.

We just don’t know.

Given the current popularity of Marvel and Uni’s underutilization of it at IoA, I could see Disney getting more aggressive with characters that may be considered ‘incidental’ at IoA. I think there is an argument that Disney has slowly been eroding those rights thru minor abuses over the last few years.

But I don’t see any official rights trading with Disney for Marvel. Those opportunities for horse trading were missed in the Fox and Hulu negotiations. Maybe after the 3rd park opens or after the Hulu sale closes, but it seems unlikely until then.

jt04

Wakanda could be considered and maybe no trade necessary. We act like we know everything about that contract, when the amendments (which likely more effectively define ‘family’) are not public. We assume that BP is in ‘our’ definition of families for either Avengers or FF. But Black Panther may have not been included in either, officially.

We just don’t know.

Given the current popularity of Marvel and Uni’s underutilization of it at IoA, I could see Disney getting more aggressive with characters that may be considered ‘incidental’ at IoA. I think there is an argument that Disney has slowly been eroding those rights thru minor abuses over the last few years.

But I don’t see any official rights trading with Disney for Marvel. Those opportunities for horse trading were missed in the Fox and Hulu negotiations. Maybe after the 3rd park opens or after the Hulu sale closes, but it seems unlikely until then.
Exactly right. This issue always brings in the armchair lawyers. But only Disney and Uni have the facts.

999th Happy Haunt

Forget about rights, how do you even start to develop a Black Panther ride? I feel like Guardians and Spidey are much more “ride-ready” movies, there wasn’t anything that I would even consider becoming a ride in Black Panther.

rioriz

Forget about rights, how do you even start to develop a Black Panther ride? I feel like Guardians and Spidey are much more “ride-ready” movies, there wasn’t anything that I would even consider becoming a ride in Black Panther.
Car chase ride like in the movie, dark ride ala Uni Spidey, FoP type ride around Wakanda, Buzz type ride using the blasters Shuri has....etc

Prince-1

Do I expect Disney to gain the full themepark rights to all Marvel Characters and names within the next 10 years? Yes. Do I think Disney will make a trade? No. Disney may be willing to pay some small amount, 10 to 20 million or just wait Universal out. There are legal obligations on upgrades that cost a fortune and given that WDW will have more Marvel Rides at WDW than Universal has at IOA within 10 years, the rights aren't worth that much. There is also a wonderful legal argument that can be made to build a Wakanda ride without having to give up anything. Just build Wakanda as a tourist lication and leave out all the characters Universal owns. They own the characters not the movie land.
I’ll make a bet with you that in 10 years Universal will still own everything they currently own and Disney will have no more theme park rights then they do today.

RSoxNo1

Does anyone have any insight into the Simpsons contract with Universal? If it's setup like the Potter contracts there are renewal periods as opposed to existing in perpetuity. Something like that may be a better place to start as opposed to licensing out a new product that would require a new build.

Top Bottom