Rumor Disney Looking To Trade The Theme Park Rights of Alien with Universal in exchange for Black Panther to Build a Wakanda Pavillion at Epcot

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
This remains one of the stupidest and most nonsensical WDW rumours I’ve ever heard.

They might as well go the whole hog, buy some more IP and just replace the UK pavilion with Middle Earth or Narnia. Knock down Japan and build a Pokemon land, they’d all be just as thematically on point as Wakanda in World Showcase.
Walk through a wardrobe in the UK...voi friggin la. Likewise, real African country up front, walk through the shimmering drapery and you’ve discovered the hidden world of Wakanda.

Rodan75

Wakanda could be considered and maybe no trade necessary. We act like we know everything about that contract, when the amendments (which likely more effectively define ‘family’) are not public. We assume that BP is in ‘our’ definition of families for either Avengers or FF. But Black Panther may have not been included in either, officially.

We just don’t know.

Given the current popularity of Marvel and Uni’s underutilization of it at IoA, I could see Disney getting more aggressive with characters that may be considered ‘incidental’ at IoA. I think there is an argument that Disney has slowly been eroding those rights thru minor abuses over the last few years.

But I don’t see any official rights trading with Disney for Marvel. Those opportunities for horse trading were missed in the Fox and Hulu negotiations. Maybe after the 3rd park opens or after the Hulu sale closes, but it seems unlikely until then.

jt04

Wakanda could be considered and maybe no trade necessary. We act like we know everything about that contract, when the amendments (which likely more effectively define ‘family’) are not public. We assume that BP is in ‘our’ definition of families for either Avengers or FF. But Black Panther may have not been included in either, officially.

We just don’t know.

Given the current popularity of Marvel and Uni’s underutilization of it at IoA, I could see Disney getting more aggressive with characters that may be considered ‘incidental’ at IoA. I think there is an argument that Disney has slowly been eroding those rights thru minor abuses over the last few years.

But I don’t see any official rights trading with Disney for Marvel. Those opportunities for horse trading were missed in the Fox and Hulu negotiations. Maybe after the 3rd park opens or after the Hulu sale closes, but it seems unlikely until then.

Exactly right. This issue always brings in the armchair lawyers. But only Disney and Uni have the facts.

rioriz

Forget about rights, how do you even start to develop a Black Panther ride? I feel like Guardians and Spidey are much more “ride-ready” movies, there wasn’t anything that I would even consider becoming a ride in Black Panther.

Car chase ride like in the movie, dark ride ala Uni Spidey, FoP type ride around Wakanda, Buzz type ride using the blasters Shuri has....etc

Prince-1

Do I expect Disney to gain the full themepark rights to all Marvel Characters and names within the next 10 years? Yes. Do I think Disney will make a trade? No. Disney may be willing to pay some small amount, 10 to 20 million or just wait Universal out. There are legal obligations on upgrades that cost a fortune and given that WDW will have more Marvel Rides at WDW than Universal has at IOA within 10 years, the rights aren't worth that much. There is also a wonderful legal argument that can be made to build a Wakanda ride without having to give up anything. Just build Wakanda as a tourist lication and leave out all the characters Universal owns. They own the characters not the movie land.

I’ll make a bet with you that in 10 years Universal will still own everything they currently own and Disney will have no more theme park rights then they do today.

RSoxNo1

Does anyone have any insight into the Simpsons contract with Universal? If it's setup like the Potter contracts there are renewal periods as opposed to existing in perpetuity. Something like that may be a better place to start as opposed to licensing out a new product that would require a new build.

Spike-in-Berlin

I have still one question left. Is Black Panther really such a great thing in the US that it would make sense to dedicate an entire pavillion in WS to it? It is just one movie and although it was a major box office success is that enough? Especially concerning the durability as not only a theme park attraction but a sub-land. It is only one movie so far and I don‘t know the impact on popular culture in the US but in Germany it is absolutely zero.

WDW Guru

I have still one question left. Is Black Panther really such a great thing in the US that it would make sense to dedicate an entire pavillion in WS to it? It is just one movie and although it was a major box office success is that enough? Especially concerning the durability as not only a theme park attraction but a sub-land. It is only one movie so far and I don‘t know the impact on popular culture in the US but in Germany it is absolutely zero.

It is. It is fourth all time in the all time domestic box office, it will get another two movies that are surefire successes and it is part of the most popular movie franchise around, the MCU. It also helps that he is a cultural icon at this point and will help lead the Marvel franchise for the next 8-10 years.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Yes.

Not to mention being part of Civil War and Infinity War and a BP2 on the horizon.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Wakanda Forever

LSLS

I agree with others. Honestly it is one of my least favorite Marvel movies, but it generated huge buzz, did huge domestically, and is loved by most. And heck, as much as I didn't like the first Black Panther, I will probably want to see the 2nd (not to side track the conversation, but most of my dislike revolved around things with the villain), and I would be excited to see some sort of Wakanda thing (not WS, though I could see Future World if we HAD to force it into Epcot).

tissandtully

Yes.

View attachment 397019

Not to mention being part of Civil War and Infinity War and a BP2 on the horizon.
It would also attract the diverse crowd that WDW sorely needs. Not on a PC level, but on a fiscal level.

An anecdote I like to share about diversity at WDW is a year ago we were at a big DVC Moonlight event at Typhoon Lagoon and the in-house marketing video crew was there filming at Miss Adventure Falls. They stood there for a minute just watching who they could capture and then one of them said "We really need to get more black families". The producer (who was black) then said "Honestly, I haven't seen any." Now, I don't know what this says about WDW, it may be more to do with DVC, but I think all around something like a Wakanda attraction could benefit WDW in a couple different ways.

Beacon Joe

This remains one of the stupidest and most nonsensical WDW rumours I’ve ever heard.

It is, but with what we've seen from the company over the past few years, I can honestly say that it wouldn't surprise me if they did pull something like this. in their rush to Marvel all the things.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Exactly right. This issue always brings in the armchair lawyers. But only Disney and Uni have the facts.

Right, because Disney would have used Black Panther in the swamps after the movie was such a success, but yet there was no Black Panther to be found. Maybe because... they couldn't, due to the contract??? I'm sure that's just "armchair lawyering", though...

DCLcruiser

Wouldn't this be a great way for Disney to pay for an Africa pavilion? The ride is Black Panther, but the pavilion is sub-saharan Africa in general (just like Norway/Arendelle). DAK is about the animals and anti-poaching. At WS, you can have historical/modern museum, dining, etc (think Japan). Since I don't think a specific country or company is going to pay, this allows development with an extremely important IP that has strong following for kids of the African-American community. I don't see how this is a bad idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom