Disney Looking To Re-Open Some Clubs at PI For the Holiday Season?

Todd L

Sad news, but inevitable--the best hope for the AC since they announced the closing is that it would be part of a new adult district elsewhere, it never had the capacity to exist on its own in its current form.

This may sound like a rhetorical question, but it's not, really--how many full-service restaurants do the suits think DTD can support? As of earlier this year, I counted 7. T-Rex just opened, it is huge. The E-brands Central American restaurant ("Salt Rim" or whatever) opens this Spring, not looking small. Can't imagine Cheesecake Factory would be small either. Speculation is that restaurants would also take over Mannequins (rumor said a Harley Cafe at one point), Motion and the space left by a demolished AC/BET. There are also persistent rumors that DisneyQuest will be transformed into something more closely resembling a restaurant (be it an ESPN Zone or a Dave & Busters)--this would also just absorb crowds of guests.

That's almost doubling the restaurant count in a few years. And without any nightlife at PI, a chunk of the DTD customer base is lost. Won't these new places just start cannabalizing each other's customers? (As T-Rex seems to be doing to RFC). And if so, how Raglan, PH, et al react?
I wont pretend To know anything about DTD or anything pertaining to whats going on there BUT- Dosent it sound like maybe they are gearing these places more toward the Family/Vacation crowd and maybe trying to keep the amount of Locals to a minimum? I mean there are 2 Cheesecake factorys in the Orlando area already. Will people go out of their way to go to Dtd when they have to drive by 2 Cheescake factorys to get there? Doubtful.

Has there been alot of fights/crime in DTD ? Is it dropping off since the closing of P.i.?

hrcollectibles

Anybody have any thoughts on the Atlantic Dance Hall? I was debating going there for New Years... :shrug:

I have been there about 5 times. I never encountered more than maybe 15 - 20 people there most of which were cast members. It is an OK place. Seeing that it is now the one of only two places, on property for those that enjoy clubs it may become more popular.

CaptainMichael

I wont pretend To know anything about DTD or anything pertaining to whats going on there BUT- Dosent it sound like maybe they are gearing these places more toward the Family/Vacation crowd and maybe trying to keep the amount of Locals to a minimum?

They are, but the frustrating thing is that 90% of the resort (at least) is already dedicated to families.

Thelazer

Anybody have any thoughts on the Atlantic Dance Hall? I was debating going there for New Years... :shrug:

I would STRONGLY suggest making friends with the bartender there.
If you tip him well, I'm sure you will be well taken care of.

As for the DJ's, keep in mind that it's 18 and up.
So if your looking for a kids Disney Party, you won't find it there.

They are, but the frustrating thing is that 90% of the resort (at least) is already dedicated to families.

I think most of the time folks refer to families in the Disney sense there should be an elaboration to include "families with younger kids". I doubt they give a flying fig about my immediate family any more (mom and dad in their 50's, me in early 30's and younger brother in late 20's - we go to WDW when they visit me). Shopping and restaurants don't count for my family, as we can get to those anywhere. Entertainment for my sort of family is dying off at Disney. :( :dazzle:

DisneyMusician2

I think most of the time folks refer to families in the Disney sense there should be an elaboration to include "families with younger kids". I doubt they give a flying fig about my immediate family any more (mom and dad in their 50's, me in early 30's and younger brother in late 20's - we go to WDW when they visit me). Shopping and restaurants don't count for my family, as we can get to those anywhere. Entertainment for my sort of family is dying off at Disney. :( :dazzle:

I think it is just returning to an earlier time when it was the parks. I wouldn't be surprised if the boardwalk gets an influx of guests now.

Unlike Anaheim, WDW has never really catered to the locals. They are really a national and international tourist destination. So, I would say they are returning to their roots. But I think that you might see something different yet enjoyable go up when PI is put back together.

71jason

I don't know that a cigar bar, pricey Irish pub that doubles as a "meet market" and Latin American restaurant with a tequila bar and late-night dancing are targeting families with younger kids. (I don't know that they aren't targeting locals, either--both Fuego and Raglan seem to rely pretty heavily on the local crowd as of late, because tourists looking to "party" are less and less likely to venture to PI.) This is all about outsourcing, not creating "family-friendly dining and shopping." If someone had the money for rent and plans to turn 8-Traxx into a strip club, I'm not sure WDW would turn them down.

SGT623

I don't know that a cigar bar, pricey Irish pub that doubles as a "meet market" and Latin American restaurant with a tequila bar and late-night dancing are targeting families with younger kids. (I don't know that they aren't targeting locals, either--both Fuego and Raglan seem to rely pretty heavily on the local crowd as of late, because tourists looking to "party" are less and less likely to venture to PI.) This is all about outsourcing, not creating "family-friendly dining and shopping." If someone had the money for rent and plans to turn 8-Traxx into a strip club, I'm not sure WDW would turn them down.

Once again I 100% agree with Jason....the 71 is wise

jedimaster1227

After seeing with my own eyes how much has been cleared out of Motion, the Rock n Roll Beach Club, the BET Soundstage Club and 8Traxx I can confirm that the venues are incapable of acting as clubs anymore without some serious investments and renewal. Adventurer's Club, Comedy Warehouse and Mannequins still appear to be intact.

PI Live has actually been positively received by the guests at Pleasure Island over the last few weeks, extending its life for some time while the construction continues to spread throughout the island.

jt04

After seeing with my own eyes how much has been cleared out of Motion, the Rock n Roll Beach Club, the BET Soundstage Club and 8Traxx I can confirm that the venues are incapable of acting as clubs anymore without some serious investments and renewal. Adventurer's Club, Comedy Warehouse and Mannequins still appear to be intact.

PI Live has actually been positively received by the guests at Pleasure Island over the last few weeks, extending its life for some time while the construction continues to spread throughout the island.

Yes, spreading like locusts. I just can't wait to see what is planned.

liquid toez

"Latest rumor out there is that the famous Hoop De Doo Revue will be moving from the Wilderness Lodge to the building formerly housing Motion, possibly in the form of a "dinner show experience."

jt04

"Latest rumor out there is that the famous Hoop De Doo Revue will be moving from the Wilderness Lodge to the building formerly housing Motion, possibly in the form of a "dinner show experience."

I actually think this is a great idea as it will make the show easier to get to for most people. I hope you are right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom