Disney looking at using Nintendo DS systems as an interactive guide map?

SewIn2Disney

The most exciting is the waiting on line stuff. Sometimes, after you take in the theming of the queue, you sill have 10 minutes in that same spot. I think this is really a great idea.

Maybe it can include a hidden mickey checklist?

That would be an awesome idea. Or like clues to lead you to the Hidden Mickeys, rather then just telling you.

All I know is Nintendo is doing SOMETHING right.

I've been together with my wife for almost a decade (coming this V-Day). During that time we have owned a N-64, PS2, GC, XBOX, SP, DS, and now a Wii. Never touched a single one until a few weeks ago we got Cooking Mama for the DS. She now WANTS a DS DESPERATLY! We got a Wii from Santa. We now play every night. We are thinking of cancelling the Cable for a few months because we don't watch TV much at all anymore.

I can totally see 1/2 of Innoventions going NintendoWorld. Just like SegaWorld of years past. This would include a Nintendo Shop at Epcot and Probably one built into Tomorrowland (SkyWay Bathrooms????). I'm sure a $10 cartridge will be for purchase to give you things to do in line. Maybe downloadable games just for the lines on attractions. A HM game, a Pirates game, a Space Mt game. Quickgames are downloadable at Gamestop and Best Buys right now for the DS.

I love the wifi feature and the fact that you can go to Toys R Us and stuff and download samples of games that you may want to buy.
And Cooking Mama is awesome! My bf got me my DS for christmas, and got me Cooking Mama. I love that game!

You can't buy a "DS" anymore, they only sell the DS Lite. It is 2/3rds the size of the original DS and supposedly has a much brighter screen (so says Nintendo).

The screen is much much brighter in the lite---my bf has the reg. and I have the lite, and you can totally tell the difference, even if his is on the brightest setting and mine on the dullest setting.

I understand...so is there some sort of wireless device in the DS that will allow the constant updating of wait times? How the heck does that happen?

Yes---the wifi enables you to share games with others, play games from your DS on your computer, d/l quick games in stores, etc

Also, there are two new (ish) programs for the DS. One is DS browser which is out right now that enables you to go online to websites and such from your DS. You just need to be in a hotspot to access the internet. It's about $30 and you can buy it from Amazon right now.

The other is a new TV program for DS. I think it's only released in Japan right now, but it's a cartridge that you put into the DS that will allow you to watch broadcast channels on your DS.

So this combined with everything Disney is doing, makes me love my DS even more!

kcw

One is DS browser which is out right now that enables you to go online to websites and such from your DS. You just need to be in a hotspot to access the internet. It's about $30 and you can buy it from Amazon right now.

so maybe this is me jumping to conclusions, but wouldn't the wireless be used for what Disney is planning on doing? Meaning they'd need hotspots all over the park?

Mr Bill

My brain's overloading with all the things they could use this for. interactive maps of the park, that pop up with brief ride details and live wait times, small trivia questions redeemable for prizes like the VMK svavenger hunts. The Hidden Mickey checklist is a pretty great idea too.

WDWFREAK53

My brain's overloading with all the things they could use this for. interactive maps of the park, that pop up with brief ride details and live wait times, small trivia questions redeemable for prizes like the VMK svavenger hunts. The Hidden Mickey checklist is a pretty great idea too.

What about a Pirate themed treasure hunt? Remember, Jack Sparrow used his compass...the DS could react like a compass and point you in the right direction to the prize/character at the end. (The only problem is the lack of GPS in the DS). This would also help Disney track where people congregate during the day.

What about parade times...and you could have the other DS's all communicating with each other which would give you good "available" spots along the parade routes.

You could set an alarm or vibrate on it so that it can tell you when you need to head over to a certain show that you scheduled to see in it...or when you FastPass Return time is ready.

What about this...(and this may be a long shot). You are hungry, you find the restaurant you want on the DS...bring up the menu, choose your order...and then purchase using a credit card...and then just walk to the restaurant and pick it up. (AKA Fastpass for your food/merchandise)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Update:

The test period for this will be Jan 14-25th, $300 deposit, guests will use them for the day and be asked to complete a survey (like the Kim Possible tests).

It's using a DS to wirelessly connect to Disney "onesource" for info which is essentially their entire user-end network for CMs/staff. That's a little scary in my opinion, but it should have suitable safegards.

Tons of features, like maps, info on locations, wait times, direction to locations, etc.. my fave mentioned info is the game to play in queues that are themed. Here's hoping.

Edit: Called "Disney Magic Connection" and guests can enter their attraction wish lists. So, be sure to add CoP :)

Captain Hank

Update:

The test period for this will be Jan 14-25th, $300 deposit, guests will use them for the day and be asked to complete a survey (like the Kim Possible tests).

It's using a DS to wirelessly connect to Disney "onesource" for info which is essentially their entire user-end network for CMs/staff. That's a little scary in my opinion, but it should have suitable safegards.

Tons of features, like maps, info on locations, wait times, direction to locations, etc.. my fave mentioned info is the game to play in queues that are themed. Here's hoping.

Edit: Called "Disney Magic Connection" and guests can enter their attraction wish lists. So, be sure to add CoP :)
Eh, I wouldn't be too worried about being connected to OneSource. Nearly everything on there is considered guest-suitable information. Plus, it's rediculously hard to find anything useful on there to begin with.

Sounds like a cool program. I hope it works out.

MrBug

Update:

Do you know, will Disney be offering the test to guests of their choosing, or can John Q. Public step up and say, "I'd like to test the neato Nintendo thingie..." ?

SewIn2Disney

You could set an alarm or vibrate on it so that it can tell you when you need to head over to a certain show that you scheduled to see in it...or when you FastPass Return time is ready.

Well, the DS already does have an alarm, so this shouldn't be such a far cry. I think the vibrate feature would be cool, but that would have to have been already loaded into the DS. I said recently that a "rumble pack" is the one thing the DS is missing.

Do you know, will Disney be offering the test to guests of their choosing, or can John Q. Public step up and say, "I'd like to test the neato Nintendo thingie..." ?

I'd like to know more info on this too. I really really really want to test this next week. Does anyone have any info at all as to when they're going to be picking their test subjects? I.E. during the "morning rush" right after the gates open, or while people are waiting for the rope drop, or an hour or two after rope drop so it's not so hectic?
Soooo many possibilities. I just want to try it.

I like the concept

I personally think it sounds like a great idea! It almost sounds like a smaller (and probably easier to carry) replacement for the Pal Mickey (although I don't think anything could beat roaming around any of the parks and having Mickey tell you about where you are!).

I have a DS Lite myself, and if they did release this at the parks as a cartridge you could buy, I'd be getting it if it was released when I next visit the parks. On the flip side, it'd also be interesting if they developed something for the PSP as well....

tomm4004

I guess I'm the only one that cringes at the news of this concept. Now instead of just talking on their cell phones during the French movie or the American Adventure, people in front of me can be playing with this device, making beeping noises and distracting me with the light from the screen. I read that people could play games based on the attraction while waiting in line. And kids are going to quit mid-level when they get on the ride? The glow you see on Haunted Mansion will not be ghosts, but the screen from these devices as people check the wait times for Splash Mountain.

WDWFREAK53

I guess I'm the only one that cringes at the news of this concept. Now instead of just talking on their cell phones during the French movie or the American Adventure, people in front of me can be playing with this device, making beeping noises and distracting me with the light from the screen. I read that people could play games based on the attraction while waiting in line. And kids are going to quit mid-level when they get on the ride? The glow you see on Haunted Mansion will not be ghosts, but the screen from these devices as people check the wait times for Splash Mountain.

True, but there may be a way to "disarm" them as you enter an attraction. (If it passes by a beam, they lock until you pass through it again).

The blinking pins that interacted with the rides had something similar. When the pins hit a certain area, they would start to blink in the colors that were assigned to that area.

SewIn2Disney

I really hope someone on the forum gets to be in the test group so we can find out more about it.

Ask and you shall recieve! I got to play with the new system for a day! As soon as I am unpacked and get my photos online, I'll post a full review. Let me just say it is amazing.....

True, but there may be a way to "disarm" them as you enter an attraction. (If it passes by a beam, they lock until you pass through it again).

The blinking pins that interacted with the rides had something similar. When the pins hit a certain area, they would start to blink in the colors that were assigned to that area.

I will answer you this.....in the instructions, it does say that the system will shut off when you reach the attraction, but we always turned it off when we got to the front of the line, so I dont know if it works or not.

Stay tuned for our review on it!

mickeysaver

Ask and you shall recieve! I got to play with the new system for a day! As soon as I am unpacked and get my photos online, I'll post a full review. Let me just say it is amazing.....

In the instructions, it does say that the system will shut off when you reach the attraction, but we always turned it off when we got to the front of the line, so I dont know if it works or not.

Stay tuned for our review on it!

I personally can not wait! I bought a DS for my honey for Christmas and I am thrilled to know that her gift my well turn into my new Disney toy! :lol:

NotAZoo

Also part of the Test Run

Well just landed a few hours ago and will be sure to scan and list the instructions soon as I happened to be selected to partake in the Trial Run.

What I can say right off the bat is that overall it is a neat idea, but needs some enhancements for those who love Disney and know a lot about it to find true value in it. I felt it was geared more for someone who isn't a frequent park guest and doesn't know much about ride locations, resturants in the park, where bathrooms are located etc. For those of us who do, those features of listing the shortest past from say Main Street to Space Mountain is kind of useless. I think the GPS locator is cool, but again for those who know the ins and outs of the parks geographically speaking that piece of functionality was so so.

The best feature I found was finding the wait times and Fastpass return times for all of the rides no matter where you were in the park. So for an example I could be getting off Pirates and see that Buzz only has a 5 minute Standby Line at the moment....to me I would think heading over to ride it a few times and try for the 999,999 score may be worth the trek. Sadly though this to me was probably the only feature I really utilized.

Other features do exist however such as games which can occupy your family's time while waiting on rides. There was a Fantasyland Trivia game and based on the various ages in the group you are in, the questions change based on a users profile. Other games also exist and are unlocked by being in queue for the ride. Those games/rides are Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Pooh, and Big Thunder Mountain. I thought the games were so-so but fun enough when just lingering in line. Probably better for those in the 8-16 age bracket.

Another feature which really needs some work is the Character Locator. Basically you have the ability to select from a list of Characters who are scheduled to be in the park that day.....sounds cool. Well unfortunately the only information you receive right now (from a Beta standpoint) is that one of the characters you selected "is currently in your area". Therefore say I selected Pluto and was near Casey's on Mainstreet.....by receiving that message I wouldn't know if I should continue to the Castle, or back to the front of the park, and who am I exactly looking for. I basically suggested in my exit that by giving exact locations and who would be the only way this feature would be worth it.

Other things that needed some work was the Resturant and Ride overviews. They were ok, but again something a Disney fan could probably recite in their sleep. To me adding some interesting facts about the ride some may not know, or provide Hidden Mickey clues, etc would be better for the die hards out there. Also when it came to the resturants or counter locations, I thought actually listing the Menus and Prices would be a nice feature as well.

As for the device....if you ever used a DS or PDA it is pretty self explanatory and not that difficult to use. As for carrying it around...it is a little clunky but nothing too bad. Basically you need to carry it around your neck or over your shoulder....as it is too big for your pockets. Also the screens were easy to see even with the brightest sun glare going.

Ok well so much for a brief explanation....but overall I think the idea is great and hope it takes off. I think from a beta perspective the basics are ok, however it does need some major functionality enhancements if they want to capture the diehard Disney market as repeat users. Until they do it is the Nintendo DS version of the Pal Mickey although not as cute. My guess is though there will be more to it in time.

Oh yeah one other thing....to me it seems that it will be a rental only type thing. No where did I see anything about downloading the software to your DS, but when asking about it, the cast members they had no idea themselves, so we shall see.

Stay tuned for pics, and sorry if spelling and grammar is way off....after a week with a 1 year old in the parks for the first time I am riding on fumes and can't see straight at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom