Disney looking at using Nintendo DS systems as an interactive guide map?

DisneyMusician2

From the tone of the article, it souds like they are only renting DS's for the trial, as you can't count on people to have their own for a limited software try.

Nintendo Wifi technology is also set up in such a way that it can accept game data from simply being connected to a central hub. This gives units the ability to play multiplayer with only one unit having the actual game.

I assume that access might cost you something, but I can't see Disney making the investment in so many DS's and worrying about maintenance on them in the future.

Fizbain32

I had been saying to the wife for years how cool it would be if the had the maps for download for a Palm or an Ipaq. And with today's units having access to GPS it could be like having one of them fancy car units for the parks.

count me in!

dxwwf3

First off, I think this is a great idea. Also I had no idea about the Universal page either and that is also very nice. Any way to easily let guests know wait times is always a good move. The tip boards serve their purpose, but having this in the palm of your hand is even better.

Ok, I have a REALLY stupid question.

I don't own a Nintendo DS...Lite or otherwise.

I note that the announcement referenced "DS." Is that just shorthand for the DS Lite?

These things are pretty cheap...family members who may be traveling to disney this year with us have them...

but if WDW starts doing this...I don't want to buy a DS-Lite...get to the park, and have them say, sorry...its only the regular DS that does this...

Is there a difference?

I'm normally knowledgable about this kind of crap...but I haven't bought Nintendo stuff in years....

Can someone clear this up?

Thanks!

Johnny

Captain Hank

As far as I know, the DS Lite is just a physical redesign of the Nintendo DS. It's lighter and slimmer, but otherwise it's fully compatable with everything that the DS is. Think GameBoy versus GameBoy pocket versus GameBoy color.

I understand...so is there some sort of wireless device in the DS that will allow the constant updating of wait times? How the heck does that happen?

Spyne

As a DS owner, I think it is an innovative idea for the parks. But, it could be that if people have their eyes glued to the two screens the whole time, they won't be able to see all the sights in the parks. That's my only worry.

Kronos

As far as I know, the DS Lite is just a physical redesign of the Nintendo DS. It's lighter and slimmer, but otherwise it's fully compatable with everything that the DS is. Think GameBoy versus GameBoy pocket versus GameBoy color.
Eh. Kinda.

The case, as mentioned, is smaller... which means that some cartridges that fit just fine on the DS kinda stick out somewhat on the DS Lite. Granted, that's more of a cosmetic issue than anything else... but there are some minor internal software tech changes that are, to The Average Consumer, invisible.

The Average Consumer should find that the DS is a dandy little honey of a gaming console.

JWG

Eh. Kinda.

The case, as mentioned, is smaller... which means that some cartridges that fit just fine on the DS kinda stick out somewhat on the DS Lite. Granted, that's more of a cosmetic issue than anything else... but there are some minor internal software tech changes that are, to The Average Consumer, invisible.

The Average Consumer should find that the DS is a dandy little honey of a gaming console.

You can't buy a "DS" anymore, they only sell the DS Lite. It is 2/3rds the size of the original DS and supposedly has a much brighter screen (so says Nintendo).

I just purcahsed one over the PSP based on better adult items such as Brain Age, Big Brain Academy, etc. as well as regular game titles. Plus the stylus and touch screen is a great feature.

JimboJones123

All I know is Nintendo is doing SOMETHING right.

I've been together with my wife for almost a decade (coming this V-Day). During that time we have owned a N-64, PS2, GC, XBOX, SP, DS, and now a Wii. Never touched a single one until a few weeks ago we got Cooking Mama for the DS. She now WANTS a DS DESPERATLY! We got a Wii from Santa. We now play every night. We are thinking of cancelling the Cable for a few months because we don't watch TV much at all anymore.

I can totally see 1/2 of Innoventions going NintendoWorld. Just like SegaWorld of years past. This would include a Nintendo Shop at Epcot and Probably one built into Tomorrowland (SkyWay Bathrooms????). I'm sure a $10 cartridge will be for purchase to give you things to do in line. Maybe downloadable games just for the lines on attractions. A HM game, a Pirates game, a Space Mt game. Quickgames are downloadable at Gamestop and Best Buys right now for the DS.

I could also see a points system add up where they track your admissions to attractions. Maybe post a chart at each ride listing the top 50 riders in a month and all-time. There may even be a point where your "Key to the Kingdom" is actually doubled as a game cartridge as well. Wouldn't that be nuts. Probably next generation, but something to think about as well. Your personal "Key/Cartridge" could be rechargable when you want to add admissions or Disney $$ that could be used throughout the resort. You could even set up a pin # to be used for purchases.

Even if it's just something like the little WDW trivia handheld that was out a few years ago, that would offer great entertainment not only for lines, but also on the busses and monorails.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I would love this if it actually happens. I am obsessed with my DS (I play it everyday) and I usually bring it on the plane with me to WDW. I wouldn't mind bringing it to the parks to get live info about attractions and such. DS wi-fi rocks hard! :sohappy:

DisneyMusician2

The most exciting is the waiting on line stuff. Sometimes, after you take in the theming of the queue, you sill have 10 minutes in that same spot. I think this is really a great idea.

Maybe it can include a hidden mickey checklist?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom