News Disney Legend Richard M. Sherman Passes Away At Age 95

Figments Friend

Wow…this hits hard.
I’m a fan of the Sherman Brothers work.

Very sad, but also I have to smile because the brothers are now reunited with Uncle Walt in that big stage in the sky.
🥹

The official statement from Disney noted that ‘plans for a celebration of life will be announced at a later time’.
Hoping this is some kind of live tribute concert or special event, celebrating their amazing music.
Interesting in hearing more about this.

The two songs that immediately hit me when I read the news was ‘It’s a Small World’ which I consider their absolute masterpiece and of course ‘One Little Spark’ which I have a very close connection to.
Some may laugh, but ‘It’s a Small World’ IS their masterpiece in its deceptive simplicity yet extremely deep meaning.
Just wonderful….
The world unites today, mourning this great talent.

Wow this is hitting me hard.

I am also of course thinking of my boy Tony Baxter.
Richard and Tony were close friends, and my heart goes out to him tonight as I am sure this is also hitting him very very hard.
😢

Peace be upon you Richard.
You deserve a long rest after entertaining and delighting so many for all these years, and for SO MANY more years to come.
✨

-

prberk

Oh my goodness. Just saw this. He was such an inspiration, and truly enthusiastic about his work.

One quirky thing that I remember was that, despite that overall enthusiasm, he said that one song of theirs that he never liked was “Now is the Time” — the song that G.E. commissioned to replace “Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” for the Carousel of Progress when it was moved to Walt Disney World. They wanted focus on the present that G.E. products helped, instead of the futurism that the previous song had espoused. I just thought it was fun to hear him say that he really didn’t like one of his songs (and one that I had grown up on). But of course, they brought back “Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” later anyway.

But yes, Robert Sherman was a treasure who made a huge impact on not only Disney World but the world at large. We would not be the same without Mary Poppins songs, “it’s a small world,” or all of the EPCOT Center songs.

Animaniac93-98

He and his brother wrote over 200 songs for Disney, but their work goes beyond even that.

Their scores for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Slipper and the Rose and Charlottes' Web among others are noteworthy too

And even Marvel found a way to repurpose their self parody song "Make Way for Tomorrow Today"

And that doesn't include all the songs that DIDN'T make the final cut of their projects. Their "Horizons" song is great.

An truly astounding collection of work that often gets dismissed or overlooked for being associated with Disney/family movies, but it's so much better than that reputation.

Comped

With Richard Sherman's passing, this makes Floyd Norman alongside Julia Andrews, Kurt Russel, Bob Gurr, and Dick Van to one of the last surviving members of the"The Walt Era of Disney" who personally knew and interacted with Walt Disney.
There will be a few eras that will close quickly behind, in the next 10-15 years or so, in terms of those who worked directly with Roy (the elder), and some of his successors. But the Walt era ending will probably hurt the most.

brb1006

There will be a few eras that will close quickly behind, in the next 10-15 years or so, in terms of those who worked directly with Roy (the elder), and some of his successors. But the Walt era ending will probably hurt the most.
Been keeping an eye on Donnie Dunagan (voice of Young Bambi) who's currently 89 and still keeping himself in good shape. I will always remember one interview a few years back where Dunagan recalled the time he annoyed Walt as a young boy by firing a pea shooter behind his back while playing during breaks from recording sessions for the movie.

Every Veterans Day, he would receive tons of letters and heartfelt messages thanking him not only for his service (since he served during The Vietnam War) but for his performance as Bambi. Especially from soldiers who were trained by him since he was also the youngest Drill Sergeant in the History of the United States Marines. He even receives cute fanart of the protagonist which he still owns at his house.

Last edited:

MK-fan

With Richard Sherman's passing, this makes Floyd Norman (did inbetweening for Disney's Films beginning with Sleeping Beauty) alongside Julia Andrews, Kurt Russel, Bob Gurr, Dick Van , to be one of the last surviving members of the "The Walt Era of Disney" who personally knew and interacted with Walt Disney.
900w-600h_03_2016_March_24_FloydNorman_0064.jpg

Donnie Dunagan (Young Bambi), and Peter Behn (Young Thumper) are also the last surviving voice actors from Disney Animation's early years.
Don’t forget Disney superstar Hayley Mills, Karen Dotrice of Mary Poppins, Gnome-Mobile and three lives of Thomasina fame, Kathryn Beaumont who played Alice and Wendy. Some OG mouseketeers including Cubby. Also Disney Imagineer Orlando Ferrante and some others I’m sure we haven’t mentioned. Not sure how much animation giant Don Bluth worked with Walt but he was there as an animator during Walt’s years.

Last edited:

doctornick

I feel like a tribute show featuring many of the Sherman Bros songs would be a nice touch and good addition to the parks. I’m thinking something like the Pixar concert they did at the BatB theater.

Do people think that would be a reasonable way to honor these Disney greats?

Comped

Don’t forget Disney superstar Hayley Mills, Karen Dotrice of Mary Poppins, Gnome-Mobile and three lives of Thomasina fame, Kathryn Beaumont who played Alice and Wendy. Some OG mouseketeers including Cubby. Also Disney Imagineer Orlando Ferrante and some others I’m sure we haven’t mentioned. Not sure how much animation giant Don Bluth worked with Walt but he was there as an animator during Walt’s years.
I had no idea Hayley Mills was alive to be honest. There are others, but the list of big names is getting smaller by the day. Kurt Russell may be the biggest name nobody's mentioned yet, in terms of Walt's impact.
I feel like a tribute show featuring many of the Sherman Bros songs would be a nice touch and good addition to the parks. I’m thinking something like the Pixar concert they did at the BatB theater.

Do people think that would be a reasonable way to honor these Disney greats?
The big reason why that Pixar concert never returned? Not because of low crowd numbers, but because every musician was paid according to a deal with the local chapter of the musicians union - $250 a night. Very expensive to do except as a limited time thing, compared to Disney's standard practice of recording music and using it for decades. Would it be nice? Yeah, but it won't happen while we still have locations that last got new shows in the 90's.

Brian

Original Poster
Grayson, one of the Casey's Corner Pianists, did a wonderful set in tribute to the Sherman Brothers. He's a very talented performer in his own right!

According to the person who posted this, Grayson was working on Saturday and found out the news that Richard had passed way after he finished his last set. He returned back to the piano after that to play 'Feed the Birds' before wrapping up and going home.

I understand the Grand Floridian pianist also did some tribute sets for them, I just don't have a video.

Last edited:

montyz81

Its amazing to me that there are only two pages dedicated to this man. So many emotions and experiences are the result of the Sherman brothers. I suspect that the parks would not be so successful without them. Too many people do not take the time to understand where their amazing vacations come from. Rest in peace Dick. Thank you for all that you did for the movies and the parks! Now you can play “Fred the Birds” for Walt once again. I hope you and your brother reconcile now that you are together again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom