Disney Jr and Beauty and the Beast closing for refurbs in Jan 2013

Calvin Coolidge

Just to be clear, they're both closing and returning as essentially the same attraction, right? Beauty and the Beast isn't going to suddenly return as "Tangled - Live on Stage!," is it?

WDWYankee15

This should be the rumored removal of the Handy Manny and Little Einstein segments and adding in Doc McStuffins and Sophia the First segments. This makesa sense now because Disney Jr starts a new season in January for its shows. The Sophia the First series beings this January and Doc McStuffins has proved to be very popular.

I wonder what this means for the rumor that the Beauty and the Beast stage show would be ending and replaced by a Tangled stage show?

TP2000

Wondering the same thing... why refurb it now if you're putting in a new show!?!

Perhaps the "new show" is still several years away. A week seems like enough time to clean the carpets, rework the lighting and recertify rigging. A week rehab is also just enough time to be expensive enough that it likely means a replacement show is at least a fiscal year, or three, away.

menamechris

I am starting to thinking "refurb" is Disney code for "We will save $X.XX by closing this for a month..." I honestly think this is just another clever way management has figured out how to save money in the slowest quarter in the slowest park...

Bolt

I am starting to thinking "refurb" is Disney code for "We will save $X.XX by closing this for a month..." I honestly think this is just another clever way management has figured out how to save money in the slowest quarter in the slowest park...

You don't save that much money - Disney still has to find places for those other people to work. During refubs, techs are the ones who actually work on the attraction, and Disney Jr. will still staff people outside the attraction and those characters will just be placed in extra roles throughout the park.

I did also hear about the addition to the show - if you look back at the refurbishment from January 2011, it was essentially the same length and time frame of when they added Jake and the Neverland Pirates. They also had to do more work for a conversion of work to make everything say Disney Junior instead of Playhouse Disney.

menamechris

You don't save that much money - Disney still has to find places for those other people to work. During refubs, techs are the ones who actually work on the attraction, and Disney Jr. will still staff people outside the attraction and those characters will just be placed in extra roles throughout the park.

I did also hear about the addition to the show - if you look back at the refurbishment from January 2011, it was essentially the same length and time frame of when they added Jake and the Neverland Pirates. They also had to do more work for a conversion of work to make everything say Disney Junior instead of Playhouse Disney.

If they can save any amount of money - it would be worth it to the suits. And there is still a lot of money to be saved - They won't create positions for cast members they have to find work for - they simply cut the schedules of part-timers or seasonal workers to make space for them. I personally don't see what will be happening at Beauty and the Beast during a refurb that can't be done after the park closes.

Bolt

If they can save any amount of money - it would be worth it to the suits. And there is still a lot of money to be saved - They won't create positions for cast members they have to find work for - they simply cut the schedules of part-timers or seasonal workers to make space for them. I personally don't see what will be happening at Beauty and the Beast during a refurb that can't be done after the park closes.

You're wrong in this one. They would put Backlot Tour and LMA seasonal before this one. Attendance for BATB and Disney Junior are much more bang for your buck.

menamechris

You're wrong in this one. They would put Backlot Tour and LMA seasonal before this one. Attendance for BATB and Disney Junior are much more bang for your buck.

But they have already done that within the last year.... And I am sure they have more rigid contracts with performers for LMA, given the specialty nature of the talent. You aren't sticking those people in costumes and sending them out into the park. I would assume Disney has to give them paid time off....

Bolt

But they have already done that within the last year.... And I am sure they have more rigid contracts with performers for LMA, given the specialty nature of the talent. You aren't sticking those people in costumes and sending them out into the park. I would assume Disney has to give them paid time off....

So when Disney Junior opens are you expecting it to be the exact same show with no changes?

menamechris

Does it matter? Again, whatever changes may happen, I am almost certain do not require shutting the shows down for any length of time. I may be wrong - but quite frankly, if they were replacing lightbulbs (or adding benches) the Disney Blog would be writing an article on it. Perhaps they may be switching out a character or two - but why turn the lights out on the show for that? And why do the same to Beauty and the Beast?

RAXIP

Does it matter? Again, whatever changes may happen, I am almost certain do not require shutting the shows down for any length of time. I may be wrong - but quite frankly, if they were replacing lightbulbs (or adding benches) the Disney [Parks] Blog would be writing an article on it. Perhaps they may be switching out a character or two - but why turn the lights out on the show for that? And why do the same to Beauty and the Beast?

Because they're changing two of the four sets used on the show, will need rehersales for a show that is now 50% different and refurbish the exterior to reflect the new characters in the show.
Disney-Junior-Live-on-Stage_Full_12797.jpg

hollywoodj

There is a LOT more that has to be done within that timeframe. The cast has to rehearse and the sets and light cues must be completely rewritten. No need to make it seem like some scheme to save money. It definitely isn't. B&B, however, I have no clue why. Maybe they want the cast to rehearse during the day, maybe there is upper management coming to assess possible changes.

Bolt

Because they're changing two of the four sets used on the show, will need rehersales for a show that is now 50% different and refurbish the exterior to reflect the new characters in the show.
Disney-Junior-Live-on-Stage_Full_12797.jpg
That cast member is great. Been at Mermaid since it opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom