News Disney joins the U.S. Travel Association in campaign to boost travel - "Let's Go There"

Wendy Pleakley

I wear glasses, so I am always aware of my mask. If anyone has any anti-fogging tips that aren't cumbersome or ridiculous, I am all ears.

A mask in Florida heat/humidity just sounds dreadful.

I can't speak to Florida weather specifically, but get a mask that has a section for covering the nose including a wire insert so you can keep it as snug as possible. I wear my glasses so that they're resting over the mask and it works pretty well. I've also seen some videos where people twist the loops at the end of the hospital style masks to create some ventilation at the sides of the mask, so less air coming out the nose.

Eddie Sotto has an interesting take regarding masks. He thinks they are a significant detractor to the experience and has pushed for Disney to come up with a way for guests to enjoy the parks without them.

This is not an interesting or original take, and suggesting "not wearing masks" without actually suggesting how this could be safely accomplished adds nothing of value whatsoever to the conversation.

SteamboatJoe

I can't speak to Florida weather specifically, but get a mask that has a section for covering the nose including a wire insert so you can keep it as snug as possible. I wear my glasses so that they're resting over the mask and it works pretty well. I've also seen some videos where people twist the loops at the end of the hospital style masks to create some ventilation at the sides of the mask, so less air coming out the nose.

This is not an interesting or original take, and suggesting "not wearing masks" without actually suggesting how this could be safely accomplished adds nothing of value whatsoever to the conversation.
Appreciate the suggestion regarding glasses. Riding the mask high is the only thing that has somewhat worked for me so far.

Sotto's explanation for why masks in a theme park are a detraction to the experience is indeed interesting to me. I will conceed that such an observation without a viable solution isn't particularly productive but why should it have to be? No different than the unproductive opinions and thoughts we all share here.

Wendy Pleakley

Appreciate the suggestion regarding glasses. Riding the mask high is the only thing that has somewhat worked for me so far.

Sotto's explanation for why masks in a theme park are a detraction to the experience is indeed interesting to me. I will conceed that such an observation without a viable solution isn't particularly productive but why should it have to be? No different than the unproductive opinions and thoughts we all share here.

I think it's just a pointlessly obvious observation. "Visiting a theme park would be more pleasant if we didn't have to wear a mask all day in the Florida heat". I mean, duh? Hence my comment that it's an obvious take, not an interesting one.

Nobody is wearing a mask because it's a great experience, it's because they're the most effective tool we have in our arsenal right now to fight back the disease.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it's just a pointlessly obvious observation. "Visiting a theme park would be more pleasant if we didn't have to wear a mask all day in the Florida heat". I mean, duh? Hence my comment that it's an obvious take, not an interesting one.

Nobody is wearing a mask because it's a great experience, it's because they're the most effective tool we have in our arsenal right now to fight back the disease.
It may be a boring take...but Sotto is not boring or unthoughtful...so I give it its due.

People hang on every word joe Rhode says...and his lack of management skills probably robbed wdw of countless attractions that ended up on the floor.

Just saying

Wendy Pleakley

It may be a boring take...but Sotto is not boring or unthoughtful...so I give it its due.

People hang on every word joe Rhode says...and his lack of management skills probably robbed wdw of countless attractions that ended up on the floor.

Just saying

Well, I googled Sotto and didn't find any interesting insights from him regarding masks. He wonders if we'll still know it's the Happiest Place on Earth if all the smiles are behind masks. I mean, really? Also, pictures won't be the same. Really not seeing anything compelling from him as a source.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, I googled Sotto and didn't find any interesting insights from him regarding masks. He wonders if we'll still know it's the Happiest Place on Earth if all the smiles are behind masks. I mean, really? Also, pictures won't be the same. Really not seeing anything compelling from him as a source.
He has always had a good understanding of “feel” ...which is the main repeat draw of Disney parks.

I dunno...this doesn’t seem “out of turn” at all.

Wendy Pleakley

He has always had a good understanding of “feel” ...which is the main repeat draw of Disney parks.

I dunno...this doesn’t seem “out of turn” at all.

I don't disagree Disney would feel different, with masks and plexiglass and all that.

However, unless he has an alternative in mind, what's the point? What is his replacement idea for masks?

The changes are necessary and people can choose not to go if they dislike the current "feel" of the resort. There is no alternative to the current guidelines.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't disagree Disney would feel different, with masks and plexiglass and all that.

However, unless he has an alternative in mind, what's the point? What is his replacement idea for masks?

The changes are necessary and people can choose not to go if they dislike the current "feel" of the resort. There is no alternative to the current guidelines.
Honestly...if it’s a diminished product...then that needs to be addressed.

But I see how the wagons are being circled recently:

“Just give me something!!! I’ll pay!! Raise the limits!!!”

...not surprising.

djkidkaz

I am not anti-mask at all but I honestly am not sure if I could enjoy the parks while wearing one all day. Too much of a distraction and pictures would be bizarre. This is not a period in time I am really keen on memorializing on film.

This part of your post made me stop and think for a moment. I definitely can understand this line of thought but it made me think back to a situation we had during this crazy time. Our son was in Pre-K when this all went down in March and was abruptly out of school like everyone else. After a few months with no return to school they held a small drive by graduation ceremony for the kids and they handed them back all their belongings that were left behind in brown paper bags. Upon returning home we opened the bag to find that the kids had been working on a notebook all year with a letter of the alphabet each week. We flipped through the book only to find that it stopped at the letter "U". Obviously they never got to complete it. My first instinct was to sit down with him and finish the remaining letters. But then I thought to myself that this moment in time is a big part of his life and all our lives. One day many years from now he will open that notebook and also realizes it stops at "U" and remember this time. My hope is that when he looks back he realizes how strong he was to make it through this and that it re-iterates to him that he can get through any of lives challenges. It goes for all of us on this message board and all around the world that have been dealing with this tough time in our own ways, that we are all very strong people. In my opinion, to look back on photos of me and my family in a few years when all of this is just a distant memory will not conjure up a negative reminder. I'll find photos of us at Disney World, wearing masks, still determined to make the best of a bad situation and it will remind me how resilient we truly were and are.

Also, please don't take this as a shot at you or your post, as its not meant to be. I only quoted you because it was your post that made me truly have to stop and think.

SteamboatJoe

This part of your post made me stop and think for a moment. I definitely can understand this line of thought but it made me think back to a situation we had during this crazy time. Our son was in Pre-K when this all went down in March and was abruptly out of school like everyone else. After a few months with no return to school they held a small drive by graduation ceremony for the kids and they handed them back all their belongings that were left behind in brown paper bags. Upon returning home we opened the bag to find that the kids had been working on a notebook all year with a letter of the alphabet each week. We flipped through the book only to find that it stopped at the letter "U". Obviously they never got to complete it. My first instinct was to sit down with him and finish the remaining letters. But then I thought to myself that this moment in time is a big part of his life and all our lives. One day many years from now he will open that notebook and also realizes it stops at "U" and remember this time. My hope is that when he looks back he realizes how strong he was to make it through this and that it re-iterates to him that he can get through any of lives challenges. It goes for all of us on this message board and all around the world that have been dealing with this tough time in our own ways, that we are all very strong people. In my opinion, to look back on photos of me and my family in a few years when all of this is just a distant memory will not conjure up a negative reminder. I'll find photos of us at Disney World, wearing masks, still determined to make the best of a bad situation and it will remind me how resilient we truly were and are.

Also, please don't take this as a shot at you or your post, as its not meant to be. I only quoted you because it was your post that made me truly have to stop and think.

Thanks for sharing. I am not offended at all. We all process experiences and "grieve" differently.

Miss Bella

I’m a crew member on the Dream and I can’t wait to get back to work!
I can’t wait for you to get back to work. My first cruise will probably be the cheapest four day cruise I can find on the Dream. I’m already booked on the Magic out of Copenhagen in August. I don’t need any encouragement to travel I just need to be allowed to travel.

Lirael

So their answer to wanting more people to come is... to spend money on an advertisement campaign as opposed to just lowering prices?

So weird, it's not as if Disney needs to tell people it exists. If people aren't going to the parks, it's not because they need to realize they're a possibility, but because of any other factor (price vs offerings, health, money, foreigner not allowed in, etcetcetc).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom