Disney is not just for kids!!!

Jodileigh

I don't get as much of the "disney is for kids thing". I get more of the "Disney costs TOO MUCH MONEY" thing!

As for the adult thing, well, I guess it just depends on the adult. My parents still go and they are 60. And they don't take kids with them normally. Jeff and I went on our honeymoon well before kids came along. I KNOW my mil would go with just her and I! Yes, there is a special magic about taking kiddos with you, but there's also a lesser known magic about taking a trip to DW w/out kids, too! However, like I tell everyone when they grumble about my trips being a waste of money or about how they KNOW they would HATE DW (which amazes me b/c they've never been!), I just smile and say that's fine! If you KNOW you wouldn't like it and if you would feel better dropping your money on other things/places, then be my guest!! I won't dog on what YOU choose to do with your time and money if you won't dog on what I choose to do with MY time and money!

Jodi

KnK

My husband and I are 40 plus kids at heart. We were not blessed with children but we let our inner child run free at WDW each year!

You should just see us on the slide at WL!

colleen2997

I am the "Disney-freak" at my job too. I encounter so many people who think DIsney is just for kids and it drives me crazy! It is only the poeple who have never been that say that...In fact ALL of the people I Know who have never been, think that! My husband said he always wanted to go before he met me, but his ex thought it was just for kids. We went on our honeymoon there and had a BLAST! In September we are going to AKL with our kids and in-laws. Now my father in law is not excited beause he thinks its "just for kids", I am sure he will be proven wrong. These same people that are not "in the know" really think that Disneyworld is just Magic Kingdom and that its nothing but kiddie rides and characters in your face everywhere! Ugh, it is exausting trying to explain to people its not like that.
(I am so defensive of Disneyworld, like it's my child or something):ROFLOL:

bugsbunny

WDW is like liking the Greatful Dead. You either get what it is all about or you don't. There is no middle ground. Personally, I don't care for the GD, but I can relate to the die hards that do! Going to WDW is no different, especiall when you do it over and over and over again. Just the same when you see a Dead Head go to his 57th show and you can't figure out why anyone would "waste" their money to see the same thing over and over again, the same goes for us WDW faithful. :animwink:

Way back when, I too thought that WDW or any Disney park was a steaming pile of fairy tale crap that only little kids did. My preconceived notions were that it was just a very large and spread out Six Flags. Looking back, boy I feel stupid. :hammer:

But once I went and most importantly, went with "disney dorks" who knew all the ins and outs of the parks, I was hooked. I think having someone who knows what they are doing when they go to WDW as your tour guide when you are there for the 1st time will probably make your chances of becoming under the WDW spell about 1000 times greater.

I DRANK THE KOOL AID KICKING AND SCREAMING!!! And now, I can't wait to drink it again and again and again......:ROFLOL:

DormaNesbit

talking to our friends who were Disney-aholics is what made us so excited to go. We fell in love with all their lanyards and pins and they helped make suggestions to us first timers. Now I have learned so much from all of you on this great web site I can't wait to go back and try new things too!

no1swfanindy

Heck, until last year, I WAS people like this! My wife and I don't have kids (well, except for the spoiled-rotten furry kind) and even though we had friends over the years tell us we should try Disney, we never really seriously thought about it.

Last summer, though, the office sent me to Anaheim for a week and I took the bride along. We spent two and a half days at Disneyland -- just long enough to get us completely, uncontrollably hooked and wishing we had stayed longer. When it came time to decide our vacation destination this year, we toyed with the idea of going back to Hawaii, but when the bride suggested Disney World, it didn't take much convincing.

So 43 days of tortuous living in the "real world" till our first visit to THE World!:sohappy:

This is kinda funny, I visited Disneyland in 1986 and in 1991 and both times felt that it was "just for kids" It wasn't untill our first trip to WDW in 2002 that I had a complete change of heart. Now we can't wait to go again!!
I must admit that in 86 and 91 we didn't have any kids and by 02 we had 2, so I guess that having kids helped change my impression.

WildLodgeFan

Not really, but I do often talk to people in the over 60 range who say they can't go because they're too old. Apparently, to them, WDW is only for people 50 and under or something. But I have talked to alot of older people who think they are too old to be doing all those rides and stuff, to which I always reply that the rides are very family oriented and that we see people older than them down there all the time.

Are they crazy?!? My in-laws are joining us for our trip in September and their ages are 66 & 69! Even though they are not able to participate in some of the rides because of health conditions - they simply love being there and there is so many things to do and see. They will have to pry me out of the park as I have a heart attack at a 101!

My philosophy is that you are only as old as you want to be. Yes, you have to realize some physical limitations as your body grows older, but don't let life pass you by!

jessicaj

I work with people like this too! I am considered the resident "Disney Freak" that goes because "She knows no different" Little do the care to listen or know that I have traveled a lot to other locations and I CHOOSE to go to Disney with and without my kids and I love it! I think most of them have taken their kids once and tried to squeeze every single nook and crany of WDW into their 3 day pass. Of course it isnt fun then with a double stroller, crying kids that are hot and tired and running to get from place to place just to get it "Done". I always tell them this and recomend that they spend more time or decide to do less stuff in the same amount of time. They look at me like I am crazy because like someone said above it "COSTS SO MUCH" I have tired to remind them that it is not important to do everything but to enjoy the process. " The reward is in the journey" my friends.....and they just don't get it. So at this time I have stopped saying anything besides " I'm sorry you feel that way":)

Lucky

NOt that I have to say tht round here you guys get it, See I was at work today (I work in salon) one of my clients was telling her step-daughter what A big disney-nut I am..She then said that she has never been before, but figures once she has kids she'll "have to go there", so for now she 'll do the fun, grown-up stuff that you really can't do with kids, such as cabo,san juan, all those tropical places...I wanted to tell her that she could still do disney even without kids but figured it was a biggggg waste of time:brick:!!! I know we all run into people like this , but Don't you wish people could just see that its not only "for "kids?? We went there for our honeymoon and if I could I would still do it all over again.... I know diiffeent strokes for different folks, but I'm amazed how many people say its just for kids.....In Jan my hubby and I went to Disney for a long weekend just us two ....Such a different experience , then when we go with our girls. We haven't been to disney just us since our honeymoon in 96!! So much fun that we already have it planned again for jan of 09....!! Just me and the other "big kid"!!

Anyone else run across people like this??

52 more days till we go for our Annual September trip with our girls !!!!
This actually makes perfect sense to me. Before she has kids, visit places she wants to see that are inappropriate for kids or that would bore them to death. Save Disney for when she has kids.

Of course if a childless adult wants to go to Disney, fine. And yes, some people may have an exaggerated sense that diseny is desigend solely for kids. But if she wants to do adult vacations now and do Disney later as a vacation for her (future) kids, I understand that perfectly.

WhatJaneSays

I'm a bad person but I kind of keep people thinking WDW is a bit of a Kiddy Park half the time while I convert my adult friends and co-workers into Disney fans.

I understand the feeling thought. There are lots of reasons Disney remains for the most part a childlike place but I think that sometimes Disney forgets who is paying. I've seen lots of things tamed down but I've also seen just as many ramped up to cater to the adults. We grown-ups need our magic too ... in most cases we need more of it than the kids do. My advice on Disney is simple "don't knock it till you try it." Sometimes its a hit, sometimes its a miss, it depends on the person.

Eyorefan

With my friends I get more of the "How can you go to a place that is centered around consumerism, corparte greed and prides itself on being fake?"
The answer is... Well, I don't know. I like the show. I like the fantasy and while I know every ride dumps you into a gift shop and they push you to always spend more, that really if you stop and look around, its easy to see that its all just another way for corrperations to shove their product in your face, some how just ignore that part of it. :shrug:

Jenna

My mum was one of those people who had little to NO interest in WDW at all until 2003 when my granny passed away and left her some money, so my mum wanted to do something for us all. She booked our first trip to the world for summer 04 and now shes hooked. She intends to retire to Florida, and has been 3 times since 04! Our next trip is next year and I cant wait!

LetsGoAgain

I only went to Disney once before I had kids (when I was a kid myself) and I am still kicking myself for not going with my husband before we had kids. Yes, it was magical with the kids and seeing their reactions and all.. but I couldn't enjoy it for myself really. We were so focused on the kids that we didn't really have time to enjoy it ourselves. Philharmagic for instance... I was too busy wrangling my 18 month old and couldn't enjoy the show. =(

We never even considered Disney before kids but believe me... we will definitely be back once the kids are grown and on their own! Of course we will be back with the kids again many times before that.

jandersonlj

Disney is "just for kids"!!! Aren't we all kids at heart. Especially when we are at Disney!!!! At age 39, I haven't even begun to grow up yet. Disney brings out the best in me!!! Can't wait to go again (just 2 months away!).

Disney is a great place FOR kids, but kids don't really get it in the same way adults get it. Life is so dang serious and we get so bogged down in competition, making money, paying bills....when I go to Disney all that melts away.

I totally agree. It's like once you are in WDW, You can forget about all of the "Adult" things you have in your life, and Just Let out your inner child. And the best part of it is, no one cares what you look like, what you are doing, because they are all there doing the same thing. :ROFLOL:

shoppingnut

This actually makes perfect sense to me. Before she has kids, visit places she wants to see that are inappropriate for kids or that would bore them to death. Save Disney for when she has kids.

Of course if a childless adult wants to go to Disney, fine. And yes, some people may have an exaggerated sense that diseny is desigend solely for kids. But if she wants to do adult vacations now and do Disney later as a vacation for her (future) kids, I understand that perfectly.

Two less people on line in front of me!! Many of the tropical places are now adding all sorts of stuff for kids at the resorts, so you can't really say that the islands are boring and just for adults anymore. I had a friend who went to some island resort and they had zip-lining.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Hee hee...all my friends who DON'T get it roll their eyes whenever the subject comes up and a grin appears on my face...I have two gf's who totally understand my mania and we consider each other "support group"....my Mother asked me recently if my pre-teen wasn't getting a bit too old for Disney....she went ONE day to Disneyland....:lookaroun...I told her I wasn't too old and never will be...LOL I never got to go as a child but love love love being there with my children and cherish the brief moments I get to walk thru the park alone as well. We will definately be heading back when our nest is empty....:sohappy:. One friend planned ONE day at WDW recently as well and tried to fit it all in...saying she was so tired and would rather lay on a beach somewhere....to me that would be soooooooooooo BORING!!!!:lol:

Those who grumble about the cost are the same peeps I know who have no problem spending $5,000 on a newer bigger TV....or other latest techno gadgets....."things"....car...new furniture...clothing...I happily forego much of that and plot how to make the next venture happen....:king:

Southern Lady

Walt Disney World is great. I first went with my 17 year old and 14 year old children. That was 1972. Waited 25 years before I went back, with my 10 year old granddaughter. WDW is so creative! I love it, but other people just look at me and say you are too old to go. It is more fun with your family, but I go now alone and enjoy it. I have been on every ride except Space Mountain and the Kali River Rapids. Would not ride EE again, but it was fun. I have been with my girlfriends also. As long as I am able to go, I will be there. Just got back from trip in May. It is truly magic!

WildLodgeFan

Those who grumble about the cost are the same peeps I know who have no problem spending $5,000 on a newer bigger TV....or other latest techno gadgets....."things"....car...new furniture...clothing...I happily forego much of that and plot how to make the next venture happen....:king:

My same philosophy. I don't drive new cars, we have a smaller home, older furniture, but we tend to travel and take our kids on all kinds of different experiences, so that's what we opt to spend money on.

Vernonpush

To put a new spin on an old quote for dancing:
"You don't stop going to Disney World because you've grown too old. You grow too old because you've stopped going to Disney World"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom