Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

tikiman

Original Poster
My greatest worry on the DVC expansion and the renovations of GCH was the removal of the water fountain. The sound, sight and smell of that feature immediately brings me back to my childhood and my first stay at Poly back in the late 70's. I now have kids of my own and we retake a picture with my kids every year at the same spot my parents took one of me way back when. I totally get the issues that come along with this feature and the costs involved, but I feel that the water and plants create the perfect welcome and perfect introduction to the whole theme of Poly. Removing this will immediately change the character of GCH and eliminate that feeling you get when you come off the monorail and the doors slide open, and you are hit with the three S's i described above...

Tkiman, will there be some sort of replacement on a smaller scale?

I don’t know what they will put in its place. Probably a DVC kiosk. Sorry but I am frustrated about so many things with what Disney is doing that I think I need to just stop posting before I write something I should not. I think I once all this goes down I will have to be done with my site. I was about to launch a new site but this took all my motivation out. I really think those in charge could be making much better decisions.

tikiman

Original Poster
Tikiman, I have seen you mention this before but you always seemed to hedge it by saying they may change their mind. This time you are saying like it is definite. Do you have any idea why they would make such a boneheaded decision? Do they really think people love the Polynesian Resort because of the $600+ room rates? Let's face it, it's the "little things" like the water feature, the lobby itself, the tiki torches, 'Ohana, the volcano pool, the beach facing the castle, etc. that make the Poly so compelling. Why do they want to remove something so cool, so beautiful, so pretty, so Disney?

This really saddens me. I don't care if they add DVC or not, they can still find a way to keep the water feature if they want to.

When I first heard about the water feature being out of the new design I figured there was a chance they would change their mind. Maybe there still is but today it seems very certain that in their minds it is gone.
I have very little faith that anyone making the decisions keeps in mind that anything that makes the Polynesian special to its guests should be saved. Unless they can make money off it I don’t see it surviving. A good example of that is why there is no more live music in the Tambu Lounge.

Dawnh16

I don’t know what they will put in its place. Probably a DVC kiosk. Sorry but I am frustrated about so many things with what Disney is doing that I think I need to just stop posting before I write something I should not. I think I once all this goes down I will have to be done with my site. I was about to launch a new site but this took all my motivation out. I really think those in charge could be making much better decisions.

Wow, this is thoroughly depressing. If YOU are that down on the Polynesian I don't have much hope for these plans :(

Hobnail Boot

That's really disheartening. I was mostly "meh" on the Poly DVC/refurb stuff but hearing this makes me want to punch an executive in the throat.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
When I first heard about the water feature being out of the new design I figured there was a chance they would change their mind. Maybe there still is but today it seems very certain that in their minds it is gone.
I have very little faith that anyone making the decisions keeps in mind that anything that makes the Polynesian special to its guests should be saved. Unless they can make money off it I don’t see it surviving. A good example of that is why there is no more live music in the Tambu Lounge.

I have to agree with you here on all accounts and definitely share your frustration. I know you mentioned not wanting to write something you shouldn't, and I respect your decision to hold back, but I sure would love to know what you're really thinking....

My wife and I just celebrated our one-year wedding anniversary there last month and also got engaged there in 2011. The resort is definitely our favorite but I'm afraid that after the changes that will no longer be the case.

Clever Name

Not sure if serious.

4QFHH.AuSt.70.jpeg

I was thinking more along the lines of a Survivor themed play area that the entire family could enjoy:

Victor Kelly

Those waterfalls are just too noisy and the sound is amplified by the atrium. Removal of the waterfalls is a step in the right direction. It would be nice if they replaced it with a play area for the children.

You think water is noisy and not mobs of high pitched shrieking from children?

I need to go take my meds and put my head in a hole. Then this after:banghead:

dgp602

If the time comes that you throw in the towel, Tikiman, it will be a sad day for all...

aladdin2007

All wild rumor. No credible source confirming anything happening at the Polynesian as far as a DVC.

True, but tikiman does know what hes talking about. We really dont have specifics regarding the lobby and atrium etc etc, so I guess we should really wait and see before everyone throwing in the towel. They cant be as stupid as to just clear it out and put in a dvc kiosk surely theres more to this than that. Tikiman are you referring to them knocking down the GCH all together or just interior changes? Because awhile back the rumor was a complete tear down.

tikiman

Original Poster
If the time comes that you throw in the towel, Tikiman, it will be a sad day for all...

Just because I have had my site for so long does not mean I am the only one who knows about the Polynesian. Someone can come along and pick up where I left off.

Epicpilot

True, but tikiman does know what hes talking about. We really dont have specifics regarding the lobby and atrium etc etc, so I guess we should really wait and see before everyone throwing in the towel. They cant be as stupid as to just clear it out and put in a dvc kiosk surely theres more to this than that. Tikiman are you referring to them knocking down the GCH all together or just interior changes? Because awhile back the rumor was a complete tear down.
GCH was built with asbestos, though it is no danger to anyone right now, its just not regulation compliant. disney would likely tear it down during the next big budget project at the poly.

Buried20KLeague

Wow. Strong words... Made all the more poignant coming from you.

Gives me a dark feeling. Dark, dark feeling.

tikiman

Original Poster

No, they no longer plan to take the whole thing down but as of today they plan on removing the water feature. I have no details yet on what they plan to put in its place. I would hope something worth seeing and not just trying to increase the floor space for check in lines. I don't want to guess or speculate on what they plan. I just report the information I get from good sources. We will all have to wait and see what they end up doing since many of their plans change at the last minute.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom