Disney is going to price us out of the Kingdom..

eliza61nyc

You are fair and non one sided. You've both criticized and praised Disney so aren't in the same category as the Disney shills or sheeple.

I'm just a big component of free market (or as such as we have). I always try to admit that I don't have this emotional attachment to the world.

but let me ask, why does it evoke such response? I've never seen people get this bent out of shape say if the price of a car goes up?? we just say ok and move on

NickMaio

lol but Nick, look at the date of that article. the article itself is contradictory 2015 they predicted the demise of WDW and yet the parks are packed. lol, it's like predicting the next economic crash, yeah we know it's coming but....

I guess all those folks in the parks are rich and just don't know it.
Yes because prices have gone down since 2015.........really......really....?

NickMaio

No not at all but remember the financial articles are based on what people "think" will happen with the information they have currently. They have absolutely been wrong, I love business insider and my late husband was in the "biz".

It's the same principle when you go to a financial planner, a good one gives you advice on the current economic situation but they immediately say 'PAST performance is no guarantee of future performance"

now basically I look at the current situation. Disney is pricing out the middle class, then who is in the parks?? are you saying all those people are rich? are you assuming that all those people are maxing out their credit cards to go?
Its all good........the OP made a valid point.
WDW is pricing out many middle income families in America.
I could post every article....every stat proving this point and you and every other WDW fan will say otherwise.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I could post every article....every stat proving this point and you and every other WDW fan will say otherwise.

Is your talking point for everyone having an innate entitlement to a Disney World vacation and/or Annual Pass ?

Thats not how a market economy works. Not everyone can afford every good in the market. Credit is available in the market allowing people to purchase goods over time but it's not free money.

threvester

I'm just a big component of free market (or as such as we have). I always try to admit that I don't have this emotional attachment to the world.

but let me ask, why does it evoke such response? I've never seen people get this bent out of shape say if the price of a car goes up?? we just say ok and move on
I think if the price of a car you were looking at buying went up 25 percent you would be saying a stronger word than ok

unmitigated disaster

Eh, there's something to be said, though for declaring Iger's salary and bonus to be unnecessarily high. I mean $65 million is ridiculous.

eliza61nyc

Ok, fair enough. So if wdw is getting rid of the middle class and if they depend on middle class for their business, the natural conclusion will be that they will go under.

I guess I'll wait and see

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I think if the price of a car you were looking at buying went up 25 percent you would be saying a stronger word than ok

There are other cars available. Automobiles are a consumer good that provide on demand transportation capability at various price points but they all essentially do the same thing.

SKG

I agree WDW is way too expensive. I'm done going for a while, maybe ever.

But attendance rises every year and there aren't that many rich people. Some in the middle class are just willing to spend more money on a vacation than others. Some people still find the value in it. I don't mind paying a little more than average for parks and hotels but it's the nickle and diming of things that used to be included that turn me off.

Again there is a point where the price will crush demand. I don't think they are anywhere near the ceiling for that and I don't know where it ends. Entertainment is expensive. WDW is no different than pro sports, Broadway, et al and they are all booming too.

Chef Mickey

Washington Post.....must be fake news also.
One of the most prominent and vetted news papers in your country.
Just fake news....... You guys are jokers..
Just keep your heads in the sand and egnore this obvious reality.
WDW is and has been pricing out the middle income families for a while now.

That must be some strong kool-aid😜
A lot of people in America think the Washington Post is a joke, just FYI.

Disney Parks just put up the best year in history and your 2015 article is completely wrong because the numbers prove Disney's strategy works. Every year since 2015, more people have visited Disney Parks AND they've made more money each year. So why should they change? To give a free ride to people who can't afford it? Not in America buddy.

More profit AND more people going to the Parks than ever. Do you have any idea how many "regular" people visit Disney Parks? Not everyone is rich. They just save for it, charge it, go less often, or whatever they have to do to go. If they don't want to go, they don't. Everyone has choices and it's not Disney's job to make sure everyone can go X amount of times. They charge a price and look at the numbers.

Disney is charging what they can get....and it's still not enough. No one is actively pricing any group out...it's called capitalism.

Last edited:

SteveAZee

Premium Member
It seems that one thing that hasn't entered this discussion (that I've seen, at least) is how much the 'product' Disney has offered over time has increased in value, at least in terms what what Disney has invested in the parks (and, of course, one can argue the value that it represents), but (for example) the number of $3.5 billion dollars invested over the last few years into the parks... one assumes that Disney's goal is a return on that investment... and the way to do that is to increase prices across the board to earn that money back with a tidy profit. It's a gamble on their part (one can argue how much of a gamble as well), but generally if the number of people visiting WDW is capped to some extent, they need to increase pricing way above inflation to get the ROI that they planned for.

Improve the product, charge more money.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney is charging what they can get....and it's still not enough. No one is actively pricing any group out...it's called capitalism.

Or Scorched Earth... Your praise somehow turns a blind eye to sustainability. Amazing that you haven't been concerned by the fact their attendance and prices are soarin... yet their revenues and profits are not at the same pace. When 2+2+2 = 4... there should be an eye brow raised.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Or Scorched Earth... Your praise somehow turns a blind eye to sustainability. Amazing that you haven't been concerned by the fact their attendance and prices are soarin... yet their revenues and profits are not at the same pace. When 2+2+2 = 4... there should be an eye brow raised.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in their financial statements they claim much of their gains were offset by increases in operating costs and labor.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In your previous statement I thought you lumped them together.

I mentioned both - that doesn't make them the same :) The point is it's a leaky bucket... not just 'under priced' and they are capitalizing on that. They aren't just getting a 1:1 for their price increases... they are getting much less return for the dollar... and normally what you find is that trend accelerates as you keep pushing prices higher.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I mentioned both - that doesn't make them the same :) The point is it's a leaky bucket... not just 'under priced' and they are capitalizing on that. They aren't just getting a 1:1 for their price increases... they are getting much less return for the dollar... and normally what you find is that trend accelerates as you keep pushing prices higher.
Just so long as there is an increase from quarter to quarter, the ends will justify the means. The vicious cycle they’ve entered means that their only two options are operational cuts and/or price increases. All of which is unsustainable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom