Disney Institute...still there?

imagineerfan

Original Poster
Does anyone know if the Disney Instititue is still in operation, when I went to WDW this summer it looked like it was closed. Any info? In my opinion, it doesn't seem like one of Disney's successful creations. Hearing lectures while on a vaction don't seem to go well together. What do you think?

Mr. Toad

My understanding is that it has been closed and will be used as the next Disney Vacation Club property. But I could be wrong.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Mr. Toad
My understanding is that it has been closed and will be used as the next Disney Vacation Club property. But I could be wrong.

No ...you are right.... they were gutting the condo's (thats what they look like) on the river/lake facing downtown disney, when I was there last month...they had the fences up and stuff...tearing it all down. :)

alee4eva

thats so sad. I had such an awesome time rock climbing there... When my dad inquired last year about going back, they told him that it was only for groups of over like 25 or something. So, I figuerd they were using it for business trips and such... Guess even that didn't work out. :(

Pioneer Hall

Right now the only parts of the Disney Institute that are open are the Spa and Heath Club. The classes were all discontinued a while back. The resort is currently being renovated and will reopen in 2004 as Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort.

Baylordad

Big Loss

Prior to retirement I attended several Human Resourses seminars at the Disney Institute. They were the most informative and valued seminars I attended in 30 years in the field. I really hate to hear that the Institute is closed.

JLW11Hi

They offered seminars for businesses there, not really for vacationers.

But they did offer other classes that looked like fun, like art/animation classes for kids (that I never had the pleasure to do, unfortunately)

DCA Fan

Just closing all the educational stuff, huh?

Disney Institure...gone
Discovery Island...gone
Educational concepts at EPCOT....for the most part, gone.

Lance

I go in every now and again, to play my rounds at lovely Lake Buena Vista golf course, when I'm done, I usually walk around the villas and treehouses.......and just think to myself, how much of shame it is to see the treehouses just sit there!!!

DMC-12

Originally posted by Lance
I go in every now and again, to play my rounds at lovely Lake Buena Vista golf course, when I'm done, I usually walk around the villas and treehouses.......and just think to myself, how much of shame it is to see the treehouses just sit there!!!

The tree houses sit empty as well? :eek:
When I was at PO-FQ...and we passed by them on the boat to DTD and back...there were lights in quite a few of them....maybe just for looks, now that I think about it...
But what are the plans (if any) for the tree houses? Man, I hope they dont tear them down :( What a shame.

cymbaldiva

Reading about the demise of DI is wretched enough, but the Treehouses as well?

I've always wanted to stay in one...It's my # 2 fantasy place to stay!

#1 is Contemporary - natch! :D

Lance

Originally posted by DMC-12

The tree houses sit empty as well? :eek:
When I was at PO-FQ...and we passed by them on the boat to DTD and back...there were lights in quite a few of them....maybe just for looks, now that I think about it...
But what are the plans (if any) for the tree houses? Man, I hope they dont tear them down :( What a shame.

Yup, I remember the same thing on the PO cruise to DD, they always have the lights on and it looks like they are in business. The CM even mentioned on his spiel, that they do sit there, because of the DI closing.........if you ever look inside some today, they are a mess with mattress' up against the walls, but who cares, little cleaning that's all......

And yes, I'm a big fan and I've always wanted to stay in one.......and I hope they don't let the DVC members HOG them up!!!

baby1038

Unfortunately the Disney Institute is being remodeled. This resort was my families favorite. We've been staying there since 1982 (before it was even the institute). It was the perfect place to stay. You could rent a golf cart and take it to Downtown Disney. The pools were always quiet. I wish it wasn't becoming a DVC resort. My family misses it alot.

X-STech

The Disney Institute was my families favorite as well. I stayed there during my first visit to Disney World (at least my first memorable one). My family has been going to the resort for years; before they called it the Disney Institute. I believe it used to be called Disneys Vacation Villas (but don't quote me on that). Baby1038, You're right...It was the perfect resort to stay at. The pools were quite. It had a PERFECT view of Downtown Disney and Pleasure Island. We used to stay at the 2-bedroom townhouses that overlooked the lake because of the great view. And you could watch the fireworks from the rooms balcony when the clock struck midnight at Pleasure Island. The golf carts were a plus! You could rent golf carts and plug them in right in front of your room. When you wanted to go to Downtown Disney or Pleasure Island you were only 2 minutes by driving the golf carts. And they even had parking spaces where you can recharge the cart while you shopped, partied...etc. This was my alltime favorite resort and I hope it still will be...even after they rebuild and rename. I also really hope they don't take the golf carts away or the serene atmosphere it once had. :(

Lance

Originally posted by baby1038
Unfortunately the Disney Institute is being remodeled. This resort was my families favorite. We've been staying there since 1982 (before it was even the institute). It was the perfect place to stay. You could rent a golf cart and take it to Downtown Disney. The pools were always quiet. I wish it wasn't becoming a DVC resort. My family misses it alot.

Oh yes, I forgot the golf carts, only two places in WDW you could rent them for your stay.........I've only stayed at the Villas at Disney Marketplace once, and it was way back in 1992, we stayed in one of those large townhouse villas, the ones with like 3 bedrooms and 3 floors, with a loft, the thing was a monster..........my brother and I raced around a father and son in our golf cart the majority of our stay........

DMC-12

Originally posted by Lance

Yup, I remember the same thing on the PO cruise to DD, they always have the lights on and it looks like they are in business. The CM even mentioned on his spiel, that they do sit there, because of the DI closing.........if you ever look inside some today, they are a mess with mattress' up against the walls, but who cares, little cleaning that's all......

And yes, I'm a big fan and I've always wanted to stay in one.......and I hope they don't let the DVC members HOG them up!!!

Lance...did they close down the Treehouses the same time they shuttered the Townhouses at the Institute...? I have always wanted to stay in one...and since I seen them first hand last month...I really wanna stay in one now...lol....they just look so neat...and secluded...*sigh*...

When they were open..how much did it cost to stay in one?

Bagheera

Originally posted by alee4eva
What's this Saratoga springs supposed to be like?

From the DVC Members-Only site:

Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa is the new name for the former Disney Institute site and is sure to be one of the best Member and guest resort experiences ever at the Walt Disney World ® Resort. The property is named for Saratoga Springs, NY, a popular summer retreat in the Northeast, famous for its natural mineral springs, spas and quaint, upstate village atmosphere.

Expansion of Disney Institute professional development programs to convention resorts across Walt Disney World Resort property eliminated the need for a dedicated Disney Institute resort. The resort is projected to open in Spring 2004, featuring 184 proposed Disney Vacation Club ownership accommodations in four 3- and 4-story residential-style buildings. Studios, one- and two-bedroom villas and Grand Villa units are planned, along with a theme pool, playground and barbeque areas. Preparation for construction has already begun with the removal of existing townhome structures on the 16-acre site slated for Disney Vacation Club units. Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa is planned to be a part of the Disney Vacation Club neighborhood subject to obtaining all necessary approvals.

The spa at The Disney Institute remains open to guests during construction.

tenchu

Originally posted by DCA Fan
Just closing all the educational stuff, huh?

Disney Institure...gone
Discovery Island...gone
Educational concepts at EPCOT....for the most part, gone.

I never realised that Discovery Island was on the way out too.

I was planning to go there when i finally had the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom