Disney in December

booklover

My family and I will be at disney world from Dec.3-Dec.8, 2006. I decided to take my kid out of school for that week, because I assume that generally when kids are in school, that should be the best time to visit. If anyone has been there during this time please let me know about the weather, lines for the rides and just all around feel of the place at this time of the year. Thanks in advance.

DSNYKID

We went last year at that time. The lines were not that bad. We had a great time at Mickey's Xmas Party. My DH and I rode on Big Thunder about 7 times in a row, didn't even have to get off. And the Xmas Parade is GREAT! The weather varied. We did have rain on some days. Some days we needed a sweatshirt and others we were in shorts and tshirts. Enjoy the great decorations and have fun!:xmas:

Upvote 0

pacochran

We went that time of year last year and loved it. The crowds weren't bad, neither were the lines. It was a little busier than we expected because the Pop Warner Football and cheerleading championships are held at that time but still not bad. The only ride with a long wait was Soarin' and I think it was because it was still new.

As to weather it was low to mid 70's everyday, and we didn't have any rain, just a few sprinkles one day and I think that day was 68, but didn't stop us from going in the pool anyways, the water was still warm, and if your from New England like we are that is warm, and the water was warmer than it is in August up here.

I would strongly recommend the Christmas Party also, though I would suggest if you can go during the week. We did Tuesday last year and it was great, road Big Thunder Mountain Railroad three times in a row, as well as splash mountain. We didnt' think it was crowded at all. The reason I say do weekday, is we did the Halloween one on Friday, and it was a lot busier, and I am thinking a lot more Florida people go on the weekends.

We liked it so much we are going to be there November 28th thry the 5th this year.

Have Fun.

Upvote 0

StarletteDir

Disney in Now

I've been during Spring break with my dance team kiddos and of course there is a ton of people. I went during the summer when I was a small child and don't remember the crowds at all. We've been as a family during X-mas and they were not too scary.

We will be going next Nov and I'm just curious about what they will be like then. Thanks!

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

With all due respect, my fiancee, who is a school teacher, HATES parents like you!!!

But between you and me and the internets, I don't blame you one little bit for wanting to go when the crowds are light! :lol:

Those few weeks after Thanksgiving but before December 20th are, by most accounts, THE flat-out best time to go to WDW. Crowds are usually incredibly light (excepting the weekends when locals arrive), and the weather is bearable. The only caveat is that the parks will close earlier, but you'll probably get more done in less time because of the lack of crowds, and have more time to do more tradiational, non-Disney vacation-y things, like ride a bike, or mini golf, carriage ride, etc. The Unofficial Guide to WDW says that the things most Disney-goers do, like make schedules, rserve every meal, is rarely if ever necessary in this time frame

Upvote 0

Laura670

we went to Disney Dec 4 - 10 2005 the crowds weren't bad at all. Pop Warner was there and they did close MGM early one night so Pop warner could have it to themselves. Let me tell you by the end of the trip my husband and I didn't want to hear anymore girls screaming cheers through the parks !!! The weather was good though the first day it was 80 we did have a few days of rain but just got ponchos and kept right in going. Dec is a great month to go all the Christmas decorations are up and just looks beautiful. Have a great trip!!

Upvote 0

booklover

Original Poster
Thanks, for all the replies. I will call the park and see if any events like the pop warner are being held. If so, I hope they are just there for the weekend. To the person who said the teacher hates parents like me, oh well. My son is going to the third grade. I don't think he will be missing algebra or trig. :) Maybe we will get his teacher a gift or something. :) Again, thanks for the replies.

We are planning to get the package deal. I was thinking about getting the extra deal with the waterparks, pleasure island and disneyquest. Since it's December, I don't think we will be using the swimming features, but are pleasure island and disney quest worth the extra money?

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I would recommend the dining plan and the hopper feature. Pleasure Island is cool but is more of a bar/club type area which, in my opinion is not suitable for kids. Disney Quest I have only gotten lukewarm results about but even if you purchase that ticket separately for the one day it is still cheaper unless you are going to make multiple visits. Belle

Upvote 0

MHSJAX

A great time to go. We went last year for eight days and liked it so much going back again this year. X-mas decorations, weather is cooler, small lines. I could just go on and on. We only live 2.5 hours away and go often but this is the best. I to recommend the X-mas party and also the candlelight processional in Epcot. By the way, we have pulled our now 9, 7 and 5 year old out for a week for the last 4 years and the memories have more than made up for the missed school work. We tell the school ahead of time, explain that my job doesn't allow for "summer vacation" and they have always been understanding. It helps that they have always done well in school and are in early grades. Good Luck and enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

Ciciwoowoo

The other thing to keep you eye on when you go that time of the year is the taping of the Christmas parade with Regis and Kelly. Its kind of busy in the MK that day.

Upvote 0

rjwalter

Rockin Roller said:
does anyone have an estimate on what the line waits are for like lets say splash mountain and other major attractions during that time in december.

I've been twice during this time of year and rarely remember waiting more then 20 minutes for a ride. In fact I remember must rides be less. One time I think we went on ToT about 5 times in a row just walking right on.

To me this is hands down the best time of the year to go!

Upvote 0

Frosty466

We found that this is the best time of year at WDW. Hardly any line at all, dining was fast and easy. The biggest crowd we ran into was at the Grand Floridian, we went there to eat and ran into everyone who was checking out the gingerbread house in the lobby. Must have been at least 100 people looking and trying to take pictures!

My recommendation is for the Candlelight Processional. We did that with the dinner package, eating a the Coral Reef at the Living Seas and had a fantastic time.

The longest wait, about 25 minutes, we had was for Dumbo (we have little kids) and that got extended for an extra 10 mintutes because of a problem with the ride. Everything else was walk on. We hit Splash Mountain at parade time, walked on, ran around and rode again. I swear the walk through the queue area was the longest part of this ride.

The kids loved the pool, of course. The temps were low/mid 70's mostly, one day got to 79. Just take some extra towels and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

conntom

Booklover it is the best time of year to go the Park have all the decorations
up and it looks great. You must go to MGM to see the Osborne Christmas
lights. If you have time and the money you should go to Mickeys Very Merry
Christmas Party but you have to get your tickets now.
First you are in the Magic Kingdom at night there is snow on main street
don't eat it its soap then there are shows and all the Rides are open.
The fireworks are the best. The weather is not to bad it can be a little
cool at night four years ago I was at WDW and for for days it rained hard
but out of 24 years of going to WDW thats not bad.I hope you go and have a great time.

:xmas:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom