News Disney hikes the price of Mickey Bars and Dole Whip along with hundreds of other food and beverage items at Walt Disney World

Satans Hockey

Not that I am defending them, but none of this high pricing is unique to Disney. Last summer, I got charged $12.00 for a 12 ounce beer at Adventureland on Long Island. Broadway shows charge $30.00 for a plastic sippy cup of wine. Ball games, concerts- you’re not getting out of there without depositing half your life’s savings at the concession stand. I mean, I have a feeling that if people can afford an expensive Disney vacation, a few more dimes on a Mickey bar probably won’t break the bank.

Atlanta's big stadium where their MLS/NFL teams play actually lowered their concession stand prices and found more people come inside earlier, spend more on concessions to the point where they made more revenue than ever before and then found more people are spending more on merch. For some reason others don't seem to want to follow this plan even though it has been proven to work.

Check out the article...

Last edited:

John park hopper

Define "tough times".

We are currently experiencing historically low unemployment rates, skyrocketing home equity, and a record stock market.

If this is "tough times" - when were the wonderful economic times?
I would love to reply but then it would become political and that is not allowed so the best I can do to your ridiculous post is hit the ignore button

IanJohnWhitey

Coca-Cola wholesale price to the trade, Approx $15 per 24 case. So they have roughly speaking 20 bottles of profit per case at $6 each. So $120 dollars profit on one case, based on Disney not getting any further bulk buying discounts, which they obviously do.

Honestly, we all go to Disney to get ripped off knowing it's expensive and enjoying it anyway. But $6 seems a tad ridiculous.......

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
A large amount of regular Disney vacation people are captive and actually do no price out alternative vacations. They have been going for decades and driving down or flying for cheap. Disney packages for a long time were actually a better deal than say the beach from nyc or PA on a shorter drive and a better value than many other tourist areas that were also a long drive or even a cheap flight.

Right now Disney attendance is driven huge from addicted boomers and younger people are going to be more informed and not book on site long term when Disney offers no benefits and they are more likely to weigh other vacation value.

Speculative at best.

eliza61nyc

A large amount of regular Disney vacation people are captive and actually do no price out alternative vacations. They have been going for decades and driving down or flying for cheap. Disney packages for a long time were actually a better deal than say the beach from nyc or PA on a shorter drive and a better value than many other tourist areas that were also a long drive or even a cheap flight.

Right now Disney attendance is driven huge from addicted boomers and younger people are going to be more informed and not book on site long term when Disney offers no benefits and they are more likely to weigh other vacation value.
But us addicted boomers (I am one,) are not stupid. We know exactly what else is out there, believe it or not we know how to use Google. We choose to go to wdw. I am totally aware that planes go to Europe. I would say for us it's not an "either/or".
Maybe I'm personalizing the "boomers" but the idea that the ones I know simply can't figure out how expensive some thing is in comparisons to some else is ridiculous
My old boss is a phD chemist with 3 young girls, they are going because they want to take their kids to Disney, lol I can assure you she can figure out Rehoboth Beach would be cheaper.
Sorry I'm not buying this premise that all these people in Disney are too stupid to figure out there are cheaper vacations.

adamandkate

I live in the uk.... staying at a moderate for a family of 4 plus other expenses is now $15000 including food.

Moderate plus flights - £5600. Tickets - £2000. Dining plan that is no longer free - £2300. Hotel transfers that are no longer free - £200. So £10100!!!

Disney is not worth 15k. I could go on 4 all inclusive holidays over the next year for that money.

This year was going to be my 10th trip... but I think its time I say goodbye to the mouse. I can afford to go... but I refuse to be ripped off so much. Goodbye disney.

harryk

But us addicted boomers (I am one,) are not stupid. We know exactly what else is out there, believe it or not we know how to use Google. We choose to go to wdw. I am totally aware that planes go to Europe. I would say for us it's not an "either/or".
Maybe I'm personalizing the "boomers" but the idea that the ones I know simply can't figure out how expensive some thing is in comparisons to some else is ridiculous
My old boss is a phD chemist with 3 young girls, they are going because they want to take their kids to Disney, lol I can assure you she can figure out Rehoboth Beach would be cheaper.
Sorry I'm not buying this premise that all these people in Disney are too stupid to figure out there are cheaper vacations.
Being from the silent generation -- we also know when we are being ripped off - but that won't stop us from visiting WDW. I've purchased my last Mickey Bar.

GimpYancIent

There was a time for me, myself, I family and extended family when it was an annual pilgrimage to take trips to Disney properties, sometimes all together other times separately. There always seemed there was an item that was not checked off and there was a need to go back and check that box off. Well! 2021 we all came together (five households) and we all discussed / reviewed / debated where Disney stood as far as a future vacation / trip destination. We found that all our boxes were now checked off, the Disney offerings now are, simply put, not worth it. A multi-generational ICON had deteriorated to such an unappealing state. So, 2021 marks the last Disney trip for us and multiple money taps are now turned off for Disney. We will keep up on the news but that's it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There was a time for me, myself, I family and extended family when it was an annual pilgrimage to take trips to Disney properties, sometimes all together other times separately. There always seemed there was an item that was not checked off and there was a need to go back and check that box off. Well! 2021 we all came together (five households) and we all discussed / reviewed / debated where Disney stood as far as a future vacation / trip destination. We found that all our boxes were now checked off, the Disney offerings now are, simply put, not worth it. A multi-generational ICON had deteriorated to such an unappealing state. So, 2021 marks the last Disney trip for us and multiple money taps are now turned off for Disney. We will keep up on the news but that's it.
Obvious fake news. Every human behavior expert on these boards is telling us no one is cancelling their WDW vacations. So who am I to believe, someone who has discussed this at length with their family and says they aren't going back and has no future trips booked, or people who think they know what people will do?

There are more people than some around here realize that aren't going anymore, that the Bob's and Josh have killed the magic for them. There is no marketing campaign, no "YOU are the magic!!!" tagline, no price point that is getting them back. Slow erosion of brand loyalty never shows up on the quarterly financials until it's too late to reverse course for those lost.

eliza61nyc

Being from the silent generation -- we also know when we are being ripped off - but that won't stop us from visiting WDW. I've purchased my last Mickey Bar.
I actually think that's pretty common especially with return visitors. You kind of get a feeling what's worth the price and what's not. We never understood the draw for Cinderellas breakfast, we did it once and thought it was a huge ripoff.

Now I'm still going to wdw, our last trip in September was magnificent, we had a wonderful time but a lot of things that bother folks here don't even make my top 10, a 7 dollar ice cream treat wouldn't tip the scales.
Our next trip is not until 2023, we generally skip a year. I'm sure there will be at least two price hikes in park tickets. That's the biggie for me

Cesar R M

Define "tough times".

We are currently experiencing historically low unemployment rates, skyrocketing home equity, and a record stock market.

If this is "tough times" - when were the wonderful economic times?
I hope that is sarcasm because I'm laughing so hard.

"low unemployment rates" based on massive infections, horrible low salaries and no compensation for risks for those front end workers? why would they quit? GEEE BILL!!!

Home Equity? Rich, corporations and speculators would be really happy for that. Normal people? not so much.

Record stock market? woop de doo.. again rich ppl XD

celluloid

Coca-Cola wholesale price to the trade, Approx $15 per 24 case. So they have roughly speaking 20 bottles of profit per case at $6 each. So $120 dollars profit on one case, based on Disney not getting any further bulk buying discounts, which they obviously do.

Honestly, we all go to Disney to get ripped off knowing it's expensive and enjoying it anyway. But $6 seems a tad ridiculous.......

Actually, Disney Parks get their Soda supply next to free for being the official drink of Disney Parks. Coke considers it a promotional tool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom