News Disney hikes the price of Mickey Bars and Dole Whip along with hundreds of other food and beverage items at Walt Disney World

John park hopper

Actually, Disney Parks get their Soda supply next to free for being the official drink of Disney Parks. Coke considers it a promotional tool.
Omg that makes these price increase even more egregious and kick in the butt to every one they consider guests oh I mean "friends". To be honest if I had real friends that did me that way they wouldn't be friends for long. Come to think of it my friendship with Disney has ended.

celluloid

Actually, it's a really persistent urban legend that Disney doesn't pay for Coke products. They do. A friend of mine works for Coke and has seen the numbers.

Notice in my post I said next to. As I understand it, It is kind of like paying at cost. I would be curious to see the numbers for such a claim but at the end of the day, soda costs less than pennies in most cases at the deal they are getting it for to fill cups. This is also how Movie theaters have such a huge profit margin.

Side note, this is just going to break more people who are willing to have the hassle to pack things. Security does not stop you from bringing in any non alcoholic beverage filled container.

People have always brought things and snacks in, but I have seen this more than ever in recent.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Notice in my post I said next to. As I understand it, It is kind of like paying at cost. I would be curious to see the numbers for such a claim but at the end of the day, soda costs less than pennies in most cases at the deal they are getting it for to fill cups. This is also how Movie theaters have such a huge profit margin.
We're also talking bottled soda here vs the bulk fountain supply. I'd wager individually packaged goods like the bottle products are much more traditional buying.

celluloid

We're also talking bottled soda here vs the bulk fountain supply. I'd wager individually packaged goods like the bottle products are much more traditional buying.

Perhaps, but I think it works similarly, it closer to at cost. A larger profit margin than other places selling the same thing, due to promotion of product as well of distribution of it in the most visited place on the planet.

When the biggest version of the coke deal was first signed in 1990, it even allowed for Coke to use Disney characters in promotion of their products. It is a very good relationship. It is why even the gas stations on Disney property won't sell Pepsi products.

Wendy Pleakley

I'll be the first to admit it...I'm a movie theater nacho junkie. I just can't help myself.

It's part of the moviegoing experience. Movie theater popcorn is special, just like the Mickey Ice Cream bar is special in a way that may defy logic.

Plus I think the modern trend of selling movie tickets in advance helps this. By the time I get to a movie theater the admission cost is long since accounted for. Paying $10 for popcorn isn't the same sticker shock as paying $25 for a ticket + popcorn in one transaction.

I'm sure the same applies to Disney to a degree. If I was getting a daily invoice for my hotel, admission, and food I might get sticker shock. Since I paid most of my vacation expenses upfront I don't balk at that $5 bottle of Coke, even if I know it's expensive.

RoadiJeff

Side note, this is just going to break more people who are willing to have the hassle to pack things. Security does not stop you from bringing in any non alcoholic beverage filled container.

People have always brought things and snacks in, but I have seen this more than ever in recent.
Some of the theaters around us used to allow that. I even tested the policy once when I brought in a large pizza. :)

However, the policy changed years (decades?) ago and all theaters in our area have a "no outside food or beverages" rule. I still usually get a large butter popcorn with free refills for $5 if I go to our local theater on Tuesdays. I smuggle in bottled soda and Milk Duds.

celluloid

Some of the theaters around us used to allow that. I even tested the policy once when I brought in a large pizza. :)

However, the policy changed years (decades?) ago and all theaters in our area have a "no outside food or beverages" rule. I still usually get a large butter popcorn with free refills for $5 if I go to our local theater on Tuesdays. I smuggle in bottled soda and Milk Duds.

I was speaking of Walt Disney World, not theaters with that last statement. No smuggling required. Outside food is allowed at Walt Disney World. Ha. But I understand wanting to smuggle in the drinks. I love movie theater popcorn so for me to split with my wife and kids are worth it. Especially more tempting to smuggle in soda now that Edwards/Regal is Pepsi.

Minnesota disney fan

On the movie theatre thread: We always buy the movie popcorn (I think it is part of the experience and just tastes great) and drinks. I think it helps keep people employed and is part of their job. If the demand is not great, then maybe that will be cut along with some workers? I don'tknow.
Anyway, I am one of those people who can't lie or try to do anything sneaky because I will always get caught. I guarantee if I entered the theatre with candy and pop in my bag, I would get checked, LOL. I have never been able to get away with anything starting in grade school. I can't lie either. I don't know if it's the look on my face or what, but I've just accepted the fact that I will lead a "clean" life, LOL>
I don't condemn those who bring food in with them at all, I just can't do it. My daughter has always brought pop and candy to the movies with her, even before we had these high prices. Just my 2 cents and worth about as much:)

ImperfectPixie

On the movie theatre thread: We always buy the movie popcorn (I think it is part of the experience and just tastes great) and drinks. I think it helps keep people employed and is part of their job. If the demand is not great, then maybe that will be cut along with some workers? I don'tknow.
Anyway, I am one of those people who can't lie or try to do anything sneaky because I will always get caught. I guarantee if I entered the theatre with candy and pop in my bag, I would get checked, LOL. I have never been able to get away with anything starting in grade school. I can't lie either. I don't know if it's the look on my face or what, but I've just accepted the fact that I will lead a "clean" life, LOL>
I don't condemn those who bring food in with them at all, I just can't do it. My daughter has always brought pop and candy to the movies with her, even before we had these high prices. Just my 2 cents and worth about as much:)
I'm the same. I feel guilty about things I didn't even do. And I can't lie to save my life - my face rats me out every time.

CntrlFlPete

Actually, Disney Parks get their Soda supply next to free for being the official drink of Disney Parks. Coke considers it a promotional tool.

Actually, it's a really persistent urban legend that Disney doesn't pay for Coke products. They do. A friend of mine works for Coke and has seen the numbers.

My guess is the statement is too broad -- my bet is it should state 'Disney Parks gets it soda syrup for next to nothing', Fountain soda is sold by McDonalds for $1 (and I am sure it still generates a profit).

I am sure they pay more for bottled soda, but I cannot imagine that Disney would be paying more than $0.10 for a fountain soda.

EDIT to add more thoughts:

as to the price hikes, I do believe this is the 2nd time sodas have gone up since re-opening. As for people cutting back, I know my family took a break from the parks from 2013 to 2020 for many of the reasons I see folks complaining today -- but before we stopped, we certainly cut back as 'value' changed for us -- we started staying off site -- we started going to UNI instead -- I think where Disney is really hurting themselves in with their hotels. They seem to have got a lot of benefits that 'should' get a lot of folks to see more value off site, which I assume hurts them....

Last edited:

LaughingGravy

This! I love Disney but after pricing a trip to Europe, the price I spent on a week Disney vacation to the All Stars resort with a 5 day ticket taking the bus there since I’m only a couple of hours away, was the same price as flying to London for a few days, then taking the train to Paris for a few days and spending a few days at Disneyland Paris.
Add to that trip to London and Paris real things and places with real historical significance. Coronations and real royalty, the Louvre, Tower of London, Versailles etc, all very easily doable utilizing real high quality subway, bus and rail infrastructure that doesn't break the bank to use with tourist Metro packages, etc.

There was a couple we knew from the UK who have been here for many years as US citizens. They only recently made the trip to WDW for the first time about 5 years ago. Their response was about how fake everything was, all plaster etc.
Granted, to us, the mastery of how it all looks and the effort to make things be "old", etc. is what we like, but to them, aside from the "rides", the rest was simply a giant movie set people paid a lot of money to get on and then pay for really overpriced food for the quality as one is pretty much isolated from anything real once on property. Oh yeah, and the Florida heat to always remind that you are in Florida and nothing here is older than 1970. Everything is nice and clean, all the hotel rooms are the same and people smile and wave.

US: Yeah, isn't it awesome?
Them: No, not at all, it's kind of ridiculous. Paris and London at Epcot don't really look like those things. It's like a cartoon.
They just didn't get it. And I appreciate that.

Last edited:

LaughingGravy

Speculative at best.
I don't think that's at all speculative. I agree with a lot of it based on at least three families I know who only do Disney vacations. Don't discount that people resist change.
WDW is a known and safe place. Regulars are not worried their pockets will be picked and the thief will disappear on a subway. They know they will get clean rooms, the food is what it is, with no surprises unless they want to try a new dish. If someone buys an ice cream cone, they know exactly what they are getting down to the shape of the scoop, including how much it will overflow from the cone.
The bus goes to the same stops. The monorail is essentially a loop to nice places. No possibility of a "wrong turn". Any adventurous ride/attraction is guaranteed to end with it not being real at the end. It's an "attraction".
It's all a super duper amusement park with a zoo, but that's all it is.
I know a guy who travels for business, or at least used to prior to the past few years due to covid. He has traveled around the world in nice digs, nice meals, etc. He could easily afford to bring himself and his family on a European tour. But, he knows the reality and for his earned money, he doesn't want to have to worry about his family on vacation. The vacation is for him as well.
IMO, the family suffers in the way of life learning with their only vacations being in a Disney bubble, but they enjoy it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I don't think that's at all speculative. I agree with a lot of it based on at least three families I know who only do Disney vacations. Don't discount that people resist change.

There you go, you've quantified a vacation experience that some decide to pay for: security, consistency, and exclusion. Paying for the venue to actively screen for the pickpockets that plague Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, and Barcelona? Excluding the grifters? Unknown hawkers? (Yeah Disney has souvenirs sellers and a lot of the stuff comes from China, but they don't chase you down) Overt prostitution/human trafficking? Monkey on a stick? Spiked drinks ? Ethanol replaced with methanol?

GimpYancIent

Obvious fake news. Every human behavior expert on these boards is telling us no one is cancelling their WDW vacations. So who am I to believe, someone who has discussed this at length with their family and says they aren't going back and has no future trips booked, or people who think they know what people will do?

There are more people than some around here realize that aren't going anymore, that the Bob's and Josh have killed the magic for them. There is no marketing campaign, no "YOU are the magic!!!" tagline, no price point that is getting them back. Slow erosion of brand loyalty never shows up on the quarterly financials until it's too late to reverse course for those lost.
Not fake news!
"There are more people than some around here realize that aren't going anymore, that the Bob's and Josh have killed the magic for them. There is no marketing campaign, no "YOU are the magic!!!" tagline, no price point that is getting them back. Slow erosion of brand loyalty never shows up on the quarterly financials until it's too late to reverse course for those lost."
Very true.

Cesar R M

Maybe they just pay the storage and transportation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom