News Disney hikes the price of Mickey Bars and Dole Whip along with hundreds of other food and beverage items at Walt Disney World

LaughingGravy

I'm in this same position. If not for the fact the older two are going on a band trip, we wouldn't be taking the youngest. As it is, we'll be staying only one day past the band's visit so we can hit up Epcot (the kids really love the park) and then heading to UO for the first time ever. I'm WAY more excited about that part of the trip....
UO will be fun. Go band!!!

LaughingGravy

What will stop you is the beverage machines won’t work. There is a chip embedded into a Disney Resort mug that activates the dispenser. Without using an active mug all that is available to dispense is water.
Shhhh!!! I thought that was Disney's best kept SECRET....awww...now you went and 'rooont it.

CaptainAmerica

There's a firestorm of complaining on here right now. Frankly, it's ridiculous.

I regularly pay $12-13 for a meal at my local Chickfila. That was before the inflation that's here because of Covid and the recent government largess. Spend your day out and about. Pay for a hotel room somewhere. Buy dinner out for your family at a random nice restaurant. ...then tell me that the price increases at WDW are something odd.
Chicken strips with fries at Lake Compounce in Bristol, Connecticut are $14.99. Chicken strips with fries at Cosmic Ray's are $9.99.

Ayla

I regularly pay $12-13 for a meal at my local Chickfila. That was before the inflation that's here because of Covid and the recent government largess. Spend your day out and about. Pay for a hotel room somewhere. Buy dinner out for your family at a random nice restaurant. ...then tell me that the price increases at WDW are something odd.
Dang, you're getting ripped off, dude. I am paying for 3 airport hotels in major cities in the next three weeks and none of them are more than $150 a night. Quite reasonable, actually.

We got take out at a very nice restaurant Sunday and our meal was $45 with tip.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Was at a local Chik-Fil-A today, actually. A 12-count nugget meal was $10 and some change, including a drink.

Edit: Just looked up the menu at the CFA just south of DS on 535. Same price for a 12-count nugget meal.

UNCgolf

But the chicken you get at Chickfila is like 2-3x better than similar chicken offered at WDW; it's certainly a much better value. McDonald's pricing would be a better comparison for some of what they serve at WDW.

I expect to pay more at WDW than I would other places because it's a theme park and they always have inflated prices. The ones at Disney are really getting out of hand, though, when you look at what you're actually getting for the price. They're serving some very cheap, low quality items in places -- it's not across the entire property, but the majority of QS locations in the parks are serving cafeteria food.

I eat most of my meals at Disney Springs now, because the prices are roughly the same but the food quality is far better than what they're serving in the parks.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Was at a local Chik-Fil-A today, actually. A 12-count nugget meal was $10 and some change, including a drink.

Edit: Just looked up the menu at the CFA just south of DS on 535. Same price for a 12-count nugget meal.
Try going to the Shell gas station on 535/ Apopka Vineland by Disney Springs. Gas was $5.70 per gallon and same gas in Central FL was $2 per gallon several years ago.

wutisgood

Chicken strips with fries at Lake Compounce in Bristol, Connecticut are $14.99. Chicken strips with fries at Cosmic Ray's are $9.99.
Cool everything else is cheap . A lot easier to leave the park and eat too especially when entrance tickets don't cost much.

Last edited by a moderator:

AEfx

Always the same thing people miss in this discussion. "Well, my local ballpark charges $20 for a hot dog!"

You aren't expected to eat three meals a day at a ballpark, for a week at a time. Or most other amusement parks. Or pretty much any place else being bandied about.

Disney's whole shtick is to keep you on property the entire time, so when they keep increasing the prices the way they do for every sip and morsel you eat in a week's vacation - yes, it's going to be shocking for some people.

This is particularly true for quick service - which for the most part is sub-fast food quality (more like school cafeteria level).

fgmnt

Always the same thing people miss in this discussion. "Well, my local ballpark charges $20 for a hot dog!"

You aren't expected to eat three meals a day at a ballpark, for a week at a time. Or most other amusement parks. Or pretty much any place else being bandied about.

Disney's whole shtick is to keep you on property the entire time, so when they keep increasing the prices the way they do for every sip and morsel you eat in a week's vacation - yes, it's going to be shocking for some people.

This is particularly true for quick service - which for the most part is sub-fast food quality (more like school cafeteria level).
I am not a rich man and do not have very refined tastes, but I would not subject my least favorite family members and coworkers to consecutive meals at pretty much any counter service establishment in Magic Kingdom.

JoeCamel

Try going to the Shell gas station on 535/ Apopka Vineland by Disney Springs. Gas was $5.70 per gallon and same gas in Central FL was $2 per gallon several years ago.
That is one of several zombie stations in Orlando where they don't want to sell gas because of franchise fees.
The owner of that store doesn't want to sell gas, just the inside stuff. Location location location.
True, the one at Sand Lake and Turkey Lake has the same inflated fuel price (no idea if they really have fuel) but no merch inside. A few leftovers but I think they have a franchise agreement that they operate but will have to pay fees based on fuel sold or they could just be laundering money for bad guys......
And the location is money in the bank.
Another just north of the airport

Last edited:

Dutch Inn '76

I am not a rich man and do not have very refined tastes, but I would not subject my least favorite family members and coworkers to consecutive meals at pretty much any counter service establishment in Magic Kingdom.
I'm "comfortable" - not rich, and my tastes are refined enough. I think counter service at WDW is the best "feed the masses" counter service available anywhere. It is what it is. Better options are available at a higher price point, but the cheap option is better than McDonalds, Wendys, etc...

Cesar R M

The difference is.. like you decided to go to ChickaFil, you can select a variety of restaurants when you're outside. Inside the parks you only have what they offer there.

CntrlFlPete

it is odd to me that I can start to see water as a bargain. To Disney's credit, I do believe they have kept the price of bottled water the same over the last handful of soda bottle increases -- somehow this has me feel that $3.50 for water is not too bad.

Lilofan

it is odd to me that I can start to see water as a bargain. To Disney's credit, I do believe they have kept the price of bottled water the same over the last handful of soda bottle increases -- somehow this has me feel that $3.50 for water is not too bad.
Ask a CM for a cup with ice, line up at the water fountain with other guests filling up their water bottles or ice cups. Bring lemonade powder packets into park and make yourself a cold serving of lemonade. Doesn't cost nowhere near $3.50 per serving.

MagicRat

Ask a CM for a cup with ice, line up at the water fountain with other guests filling up their water bottles or ice cups. Bring lemonade powder packets into park and make yourself a cold serving of lemonade. Doesn't cost nowhere near $3.50 per serving.
…and add vodka to your water fountain lemonade from the other “water bottle” you brought in and you can have a cocktail at MK without having to pay for table service.

Everyone does understand this place is a business and rebounding from an ongoing pandemic could have been a lot worse. Don’t go if you are bothered by the prices.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Do you have a brand you recommend? We brought gatorade packets on our last trip but the only flavor I could find was blue and it was not my fav. Love lemonade though!

fgmnt

I'm "comfortable" - not rich, and my tastes are refined enough. I think counter service at WDW is the best "feed the masses" counter service available anywhere. It is what it is. Better options are available at a higher price point, but the cheap option is better than McDonalds, Wendys, etc...
I did specify Magic Kingdom. I think you can ger a variety of great counter service meals on property, just not in the #1 park in the world, strangely enough. I grew up going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg and would often eat in the park because it's great. For MK, we usually eat at a hotel on the monorail loop to either cap or break up a day at MK, or plan on eating away from that part of the property entirely. Just not remotely appealing to me to spend any time and money on a subpar pizza at Pinocchio, a rote, needlessly heavy lunch of chicken finger or fish and chips plate at a couple places, or the most overpriced Sysco hotdogs and burgers south of DC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom