Disney has dropped out from the next Narnia.

TheDisneyMagic

Original Poster
It looks like Walt Disney Pictures has dropped out of the next Chrnonicels of Narnia film, The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader.

The film, which is already in pre production is said to be continued with Walden Media and Fox entering in on the Franchise.

Source: Digital Spy

I think it is quite sad that Disney has dropped this franchinse as I am quite a fan of the adaptations, but lets see what Walden and Fox can do together.

stitch2008

Ack! Why would they do that?:(

I had heard that there were disagrements between Disney and Walden Media over things around the film such as the budget. It's dissapointing that it wont be made with Disney. But I'm sure they will another good film to take its place.

TheDisneyMagic;3287402[B said:
][/b]

The film, which is already in pre production is said to be continued with Walden Media and Fox entering in on the Franchise.

Source: Digital Spy

I think it is quite sad that Disney has dropped this franchinse as I am quite a fan of the adaptations, but lets see what Walden and Fox can do together.

Its not offical that Fox is doing it. And im not sure that they would want to. Fox already has one huge franchise in the making with James Cameron's sci-fi movie Avatar(yes I know I talk about that alot in my posts. sorry), which is costing them alot of money.

TheDisneyMagic

Original Poster
Do you think Walden Media would have the money to finance it them selves? That would be my preference if there was no Disney.

imagineer boy

Oh no... Disney's making a huge mistake.

I think the main reason why is because Disney is upset with the box-office performance of the second movie. Which was really not the film's fault, it had to compete with Iron Man and Indiana Jones.

stitch2008

Do you think Walden Media would have the money to finance it them selves? That would be my preference if there was no Disney.

No I do not think they could. In my opinion, Walden Media is similar to Legendary Pictures(The Dark Knight, Watchmen). They work with Warner Brothers because they cannot make the films by themselves. Everything that Walden has done has been produced with a bigger studio.

I think the main reason why is because Disney is upset with the box-office performance of the second movie. Which was really not the film's fault, it had to compete with Iron Man and Indiana Jones.

Opening Prince Caspain in may was a mistake. But I dont think Disney is making a huge mistake. I would have liked to see them make Voyage of the Dawn Treader(even though I never read it). But this means that Disney can focus on other projects now. TR2N is in the middle of pre-production, work is going to start soon on the new muppet movie, plus they have got to be starting work on The Lone Ranger. Not to mention Brad Bird's 1906, which is supposed to be a co-production between Disney and Warner Bros.

DisneyGigi

Wow... well that totally stinks!! I have never read a book and then watched the movie and been satisfied with.Nothing ever looks the way I imagined it would but to me Disney nailed Narnia perfectly. Maybe it is because I am a Disney nut too but I am doubting if it will be as good without them.

Computer Magic

But this means that Disney can focus on other projects now. TR2N is in the middle of pre-production, work is going to start soon on the new muppet movie, plus they have got to be starting work on The Lone Ranger. Not to mention Brad Bird's 1906, which is supposed to be a co-production between Disney and Warner Bros.
I think you are right, Disney is getting ready for all those Johnny Depp movies, including the next pirate. I also bet there wasn't enough money to make from the 3rd picture. The 2nd movie took a nose dive and I bet they fear the 3rd will as well.

tirian

Disney missed LOTR and they're dropping Narnia.

Instead, they're providing quality pictures like "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" and "Bedtime Stories."

Fools.

Are they afraid of creating something with literary value? Are they concerned that "Caspian" didn't do well enough, when they made the idiotic decision to release it in the middle of a packed May schedule?

I hope whoever picks up this series does a better job marketing it than Disney did, because Walden and Weta Digital are doing a fantastic job. Reviews and worldwide B.O. returns have proven it. The series deserves a better distributor.

tirian

Wow... well that totally stinks!! I have never read a book and then watched the movie and been satisfied with.Nothing ever looks the way I imagined it would but to me Disney nailed Narnia perfectly. Maybe it is because I am a Disney nut too but I am doubting if it will be as good without them.

Disney was barely involved. They just screwed up the marketing and release dates.

As long as Walden and Weta Digital keep insisting on releasing higher quality films than Disney is willing to make right now, the series will be fine.

tirian

Yep. I'm sorry if I seem defensive, but as a film scholar and a huge fan of the Narnia books, I'm amazed that Disney is dropping the series like this. Caspian didn't do as well as it should have because Disney foolishly jammed it into an overpacked release month. Botching the marketing didn't help, either.

Disney's best films in the last two years were "Enchanted" and "Prince Caspian," but they barely acknowledge the movies anymore. I hope they're not repeating their "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" mistake.

p.s. I apologize for not using multi-quote. It's 3 am EST and I didn't think about it. :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom