Disney has an "IP" issue, and not the one we've discussed often

celluloid

Makes sense, but I'm sure Disney/Marvel have outright ownership to many untapped characters.

Yes, but that is not why you spend the money to aquire things. You spend money to aquire what is already popular and profit off of it.

They did not purchase Star Wars to need to rush to make a Tuskan Raider series.

They milked it, now they would have to put even more effort into storytelling and that market is so saturated. Maybe in five or eight years.

Theme park wise(smaller potatoes than films of course) Universal got the best deal out of it. They bought Marvel when no one else really wanted them and the sat morning cartoons became well produced and rememebred. The attractions themselves were/are amazing so they hold their own and then the movies have reawakened the longevity with a modern animated series of films and television. They have even updated and invested.
Some of it luck and the way the world just happens to work sometimes but:
This is why Marvel Superhero Island has lasted for 24 years and The Avengers Campus will have to be majorly reworked within ten.

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
Yes, but that is not why you spend the money to aquire things. You spend money to aquire what is already popular and profit off of it.

They did not purchase Star Wars to need to rush to make a Tuskan Raider series.

They milked it, now they would have to put even more effort into storytelling and that market is so saturated. Maybe in five or eight years.

Theme park wise(smaller potatoes than films of course) Universal got the best deal out of it. They bought Marvel when no one else really wanted them and the sat morning cartoons became well produced and rememebred. The attractions themselves were/are amazing so they hold their own and then the movies have reawakened the longevity with a modern animated series of films and television. They have even updated and invested.
Some of it luck and the way the world just happens to work sometimes but:
This is why Marvel Superhero Island has lasted for 24 years and The Avengers Campus will have to be majorly reworked within ten.
Mostly agree w/you. As I mentioned in my initial comment, Avengers Campus was horribly conceived and is an utterly inadequate representation of the IP.

Jrb1979

If Disney can acquire WB, does that mean all that garbage will be pulled from Six Flags parks? And does that mean SIX will lose enough money they have to sell everything off and SFOT will have an opportunity to revert back to the great theme park it was before the goofy IP came in? I am all for that if thats what it means.
Theming wise may not be great at SFOT but they have some of the best coasters in the chain. The new Aquaman ride looks really good.

SpectreJordan

I dont know, I think Classic Monsters could be a sleeper hit. What kid doesnt know Dracula, Wolfman or Frankenstein just to start. Now they may not know Bella Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr, or Boris Karloff. But the characters are a different matter. Disney were to get smart they might get Godzilla from Toho for AK :D
Animal Kingdom would be an awful for Godzilla. But Hollywood Studios would be a perfect fit! It's crazy no one's done a major attraction about him yet.
Don't forget Warner Brothers MAY soon be for sale. Will Disney over-leverage again and try to pick up those properties?
Even if they wanted to, I don't think they could. At the very least, they'd have to sell DC to another company or else they'd have a monopoly on the superhero industry.
Remember Epic Universe has 4 IP lands, not 2. Also the Hub has 2 rides that are not connected to any IPS including a dueling rollercoaster called Starfalls Racer.

You are dealing with Potter and Super Nintendo World besides How to Train Your Dragon, and Classic Monsters for Epic Universe. How to Train your Dragon will be opening up with a coaster and rule theme is coasters do draw people in. There is a market for classic monsters plus having a coaster in that land is going draw people in considering monsters have been known for many generations.

Harry Potter land 3 is going be a big draw due to the land being Harry Potter. The only catch is that land is going to have 1 ride and 1 stage show with a big expansion plot

Remember Super Nintendo World is opening up with more rides than the one in Universal Studios Hollywood has including a Donkey Kong Coaster. Nintendo is huge in popularity.

It is likely Disney does not have the money for Warner Brothers because the amount of Debt the Walt Disney Company currently has. Disney has a net debt of 38.1 billion dollars as of April of this year. The catch is we don't know the current amount since Disney has been losing at the box office and has been losing subscribers for Disney plus.

The other thing is it would be likely the Government would stop in and stop Disney from buying Warner Brothers from a monopoly standpoint.

Comcast can't use Looney Toons from a theme parks till the Six Flags rights run out. I can't give out an accurate time frame because I read different time frames when it runs out with the latest being 2053.
I imagine Comcast would be able to buy out Six Flags on any contract if they truly wanted to.
Many will disagree, but Disney has DEEP content to mine with Marvel. I realize they have produced a lot of content, but I have no doubt there are other $1B film franchises lurking in the vast library of Marvel characters. That could easily lead to new attractions. That said, what Disney has done so far on the west coast with this IP is disappointing. Although I think they managed to improve the Hollywood ToT by retheming it to Guardians (it really is superior), I have always felt they could, and should have made an original attraction. Then there's the supremely underwhelming Avengers Campus which wasn't even fully built out. There is a large structure for an E-ticket attraction with nothing in it. I have visited Avengers Campus and feel Disney really "cheaped out" here. Consider the rich and immersive detail in the Star Wars areas, not to mention Cars Land (an amazing space to play in). I'm sure Marvel is on a par with Star Wars in terms of film receipts these days and yet Avengers Campus is a joke.
I really want to know what's going on with Imagineering & Marvel. They've done a couple rides based on the IP now & the only ones that have been good are the two Guardians rides. Avengers Campus, the Spidey ride, the 2 Iron Man rides & Ant-Man rides all range from mediocre to outright bad.

Maybe Disney isn't giving Imagineering a good budget for these projects because they thought the IP alone was enough? But if that was the case then could've done it with Star Wars & Cars too, but those lands are great. Maybe it's because they know they can't reuse those projects at WDW so they half a** them if they're only going to be at one park?

jloucks

No, to my understanding. The contract has to be honored unless Six Flags gets acquired by a business in the movie or tv business. The other way the contract doesn't get honored is if Six Flags folds.

Six Flags folding is not out of the question long term considering they have been losing money and the CEO of Six Flags does a terrible job.
Six Flags has some ruthless cost-saving practices. My personal favorite (sarcasm) is when it rains and they close the park.

When my kids were the perfect age, we went to our Six Flags once (sometimes twice) a week for years. There is an iHop next door that we also went to a lot. ....when the park closed anytime they thought crowds would be too light. :rolleyes:

My point is, It seems less likely Six Flags will fold when they are allowed to be that ruthless to save a buck.

On another note, the park has been a ghostown at 105+ degrees here in DFW. 🔥 That isn't helping the bottom line.

mysto

Animal Kingdom would be an awful for Godzilla. But Hollywood Studios would be a perfect fit! It's crazy no one's done a major attraction about him yet.

Even if they wanted to, I don't think they could. At the very least, they'd have to sell DC to another company or else they'd have a monopoly on the superhero industry.

I imagine Comcast would be able to buy out Six Flags on any contract if they truly wanted to.

I really want to know what's going on with Imagineering & Marvel. They've done a couple rides based on the IP now & the only ones that have been good are the two Guardians rides. Avengers Campus, the Spidey ride, the 2 Iron Man rides & Ant-Man rides all range from mediocre to outright bad.

Maybe Disney isn't giving Imagineering a good budget for these projects because they thought the IP alone was enough? But if that was the case then could've done it with Star Wars & Cars too, but those lands are great. Maybe it's because they know they can't reuse those projects at WDW so they half a** them if they're only going to be at one park?

Marvel is inherently un-themed. Most of the time you have a typical city street with a guy in tights. They could have used the old MGM backlot tour as-is and just thrown some spidey cutouts in there and saved tons of cash.

Thinking back, the fortress of solitude and Batman's lair are both pretty cool environments. They don't lend themselves to a land theme though, maybe one attraction. I'm sure some of you can set me straight on this. :) Gotham almost works but it's kind of just a dark typical city.

Star Wars, Cars, Potter, Avatar, they all have well defined environments that are not "a typical city street". They make a good setting for a land. Asteroid City land, lets see it. Barbie land !!!

SpectreJordan

Marvel is inherently un-themed. Most of the time you have a typical city street with a guy in tights. They could have used the old MGM backlot tour as-is and just thrown some spidey cutouts in there and saved tons of cash.

Thinking back, the fortress of solitude and Batman's lair are both pretty cool environments. They don't lend themselves to a land theme though, maybe one attraction. I'm sure some of you can set me straight on this. :) Gotham almost works but it's kind of just a dark typical city.

Star Wars, Cars, Potter, Avatar, they all have well defined environments that are not "a typical city street". They make a good setting for a land. Asteroid City land, lets see it. Barbie land !!!
The best versions of Metropolis & Gotham City are fantastical cities. Metropolis with its "city of tomorrow" theming & Gotham with its, well, gothic architecture. A Gotham land would be more similar to the Burton films & Batman: The Animated Series. Gotham would be an amazing theme park land if given the right budget (Universal, please).

Marvel's a bit harder since it is just NYC. But I think it could still be cool if they created a really well themed, detailed NYC with some iconic Marvel buildings in it. Obviously it's not as impressive as a space port or an alien jungle, but it'd be more inline with what the World Showcase has to offer & I think those areas are great.

phillip9698

They dont need to make new attractions based on newer IP when there are plenty of old IPs that could use new or even attractions at all.

Robbiem

Godzilla would be possibly similar to King Kong, Dinosaur, Jurassic Park unless they tried to do something super unique with it.
A Godzilla ride like this would be great. Something where you are under attack by a kaiju like King gidorah and Godzilla and the good guys turn up a to save the day would be amazing if it was done right

Last edited:

WarEagle77

Without looking at who owns what rights to what content.....I always thought there was immense opportunities for rides from:

Stranger Things
Lord of The Rings
The Walking Dead
John Wick
James Bond
Godzilla
Ghostbusters
The Matrix
Goonies
The Office
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
GI Joe
Pokemon
Dragon Ball Z

Some old stuff, some new stuff, some stuff that has old and new content

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom