Disney has an "IP" issue, and not the one we've discussed often

5thGenTexan

If Disney can acquire WB, does that mean all that garbage will be pulled from Six Flags parks? And does that mean SIX will lose enough money they have to sell everything off and SFOT will have an opportunity to revert back to the great theme park it was before the goofy IP came in? I am all for that if thats what it means.

Cmdr_Crimson

If Disney can acquire WB, does that mean all that garbage will be pulled from Six Flags parks? And does that mean SIX will lose enough money they have to sell everything off and SFOT will have an opportunity to revert back to the great theme park it was before the goofy IP came in? I am all for that if thats what it means.
Only anything WB related.. And it's not like they have started to phase them out. At my park (SFGAM) the stores had tons of them for several years but, lately they seem to be focus on DC Superheroes and could care less about them. They are strewn about in merchandise with them, let alone a dedicated land to them..They lost the contract rights to Cartoon Network to become camp cartoon and not even reflecting anything remotely based on any cartoon and Kidzville was a hollowed out Wiggles World with pointless overlays..

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
To me, the question is more of what they have done to the parks for the last.two.decades.

Never as kids did we ask what movie Big Thunder, Space Mt, or even Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion were based on(even with loose cinematic inspiration)

There's also people I heard in the POTC queue just after the first movie came out asking how they built a ride based on the movie so quickly..........which isn't really relevant to this discussion but funny anyway
Theres alot of popular IP that havent been used or no longer used. That I think could be as popular as anything new. Or at least as good as most of what universal has used
WALL-e
Bambi
Tale Spin
Donald Duck
Goofy
All the other classic characters
Rescue rangers
chip and dale
hocus pocus
Duck tales
robin hood
jungle book
lilo and stitch
aristocats
Petes Dragon
20,000 leagues
lady and the tramp
mary poppins
Figment

I could go on for weeks. It doesnt have to be new IP just a fun ride thats well done.

I mean the park down the road is putting in blaster games on moving walk ways, I think disney can come up with something.

I'm not saying you're wrong...but it seems like any IP that Disney uses that's older than like 15 years they feel like they have to reboot with a new movie first and those haven't been always providing them good results.

I'm still waiting for a Tale Spin attraction

ppete1975

There's also people I heard in the POTC queue just after the first movie came out asking how they built a ride based on the movie so quickly..........which isn't really relevant to this discussion but funny anyway

I'm not saying you're wrong...but it seems like any IP that Disney uses that's older than like 15 years they feel like they have to reboot with a new movie first and those haven't been always providing them good results.

I'm still waiting for a Tale Spin attraction
the potc story is hilarious.

Tron even though its a carbon copy is 41 years old and even though its the new art style mickeys runaway is based on an old mouse (and had it been the traditional mickey characters might even be more loved of an attraction). If the ride is good they could base it off of john carter and it would do great. Or they could base it off of the most popular character in florida and if the ride isnt good even a purple dragon cant make it loved. I think a lady and the tramp ride or bambi (maybe leave out the father), could be breathtaking and huge attractions for them. And its all the PR train. If a ride on any classic animation was announced I think the reaction would be huge.

celluloid

the potc story is hilarious.

Tron even though its a carbon copy is 41 years old and even though its the new art style mickeys runaway is based on an old mouse (and had it been the traditional mickey characters might even be more loved of an attraction). If the ride is good they could base it off of john carter and it would do great. Or they could base it off of the most popular character in florida and if the ride isnt good even a purple dragon cant make it loved. I think a lady and the tramp ride or bambi (maybe leave out the father), could be breathtaking and huge attractions for them. And its all the PR train. If a ride on any classic animation was announced I think the reaction would be huge.

Clearly, Peter Pan is getting a second(third if you count the pixie one) in Fantasy springs.

Theme parks just got lazy on great designs.
There is a reason Water World has lasted so long, as a Stunt Show. It was not even a hit movie related when it came out, but just a well produced show in its own.

Tokyo still has popular 20k under the sea inspired ride and vernian land with The Mysterious Island too!

When Tron was first in planning for FLs lightcycle run, there was a reboot in the works, so there is the fifteen years or more IP needs a reboot if we build an attraction edict proving pretty true.

Cmdr_Crimson

There was that weird moment when the rebooted Witch Mountain for some reason..I guess they were expecting to draw something else out of it perhaps?

wdwfan4ver

If Disney can acquire WB, does that mean all that garbage will be pulled from Six Flags parks?
No, to my understanding. The contract has to be honored unless Six Flags gets acquired by a business in the movie or tv business. The other way the contract doesn't get honored is if Six Flags folds.

Six Flags folding is not out of the question long term considering they have been losing money and the CEO of Six Flags does a terrible job.

Cmdr_Crimson

No, to my understanding. The contract has to be honored unless Six Flags gets acquired by a business in the movie or tv business. The other way the contract doesn't get honored is if Six Flags folds.

Six Flags folding is not out of the question long term considering they have been losing money and the CEO of Six Flags does a terrible job.
This is why the Time Warner era of the parks ownership was the best into competing against Disney.

denyuntilcaught

Theres alot of popular IP that havent been used or no longer used. That I think could be as popular as anything new. Or at least as good as most of what universal has used

I could go on for weeks. It doesnt have to be new IP just a fun ride thats well done.

I mean the park down the road is putting in blaster games on moving walk ways, I think disney can come up with something.
Meanwhile they've pumped Toy Story into the parks at a nauseating rate.

No more Toy Story, please.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
Clearly, Peter Pan is getting a second(third if you count the pixie one) in Fantasy springs.

Theme parks just got lazy on great designs.
There is a reason Water World has lasted so long, as a Stunt Show. It was not even a hit movie related when it came out, but just a well produced show in its own.

Tokyo still has popular 20k under the sea inspired ride and vernian land with The Mysterious Island too!

When Tron was first in planning for FLs lightcycle run, there was a reboot in the works, so there is the fifteen years or more IP needs a reboot if we build an attraction edict proving pretty true.

Tokyo is unique as they aren't fully newer IP focused the way Disney is in the U.S.

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
Many will disagree, but Disney has DEEP content to mine with Marvel. I realize they have produced a lot of content, but I have no doubt there are other $1B film franchises lurking in the vast library of Marvel characters. That could easily lead to new attractions. That said, what Disney has done so far on the west coast with this IP is disappointing. Although I think they managed to improve the Hollywood ToT by retheming it to Guardians (it really is superior), I have always felt they could, and should have made an original attraction. Then there's the supremely underwhelming Avengers Campus which wasn't even fully built out. There is a large structure for an E-ticket attraction with nothing in it. I have visited Avengers Campus and feel Disney really "cheaped out" here. Consider the rich and immersive detail in the Star Wars areas, not to mention Cars Land (an amazing space to play in). I'm sure Marvel is on a par with Star Wars in terms of film receipts these days and yet Avengers Campus is a joke.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
Many will disagree, but Disney has DEEP content to mine with Marvel. I realize they have produced a lot of content, but I have no doubt there are other $1B film franchises lurking in the vast library of Marvel characters. That could easily lead to new attractions. That said, what Disney has done so far on the west coast with this IP is disappointing. Although I think they managed to improve the Hollywood ToT by retheming it to Guardians (it really is superior), I have always felt they could, and should have made an original attraction. Then there's the supremely underwhelming Avengers Campus which wasn't even fully built out. There is a large structure for an E-ticket attraction with nothing in it. I have visited Avengers Campus and feel Disney really "cheaped out" here. Consider the rich and immersive detail in the Star Wars areas, not to mention Cars Land (an amazing space to play in). I'm sure Marvel is on a par with Star Wars in terms of film receipts these days and yet Avengers Campus is a joke.

But a vast majority of the content they can only put in Disneyland, not WDW

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
Why? Licensing? Anything can be negotiated.

Universal has rights east of the mississippi for a vast majority of Marvel characters forever. Disney would need to offer a LOT for Universal to change their mind, on top of that in addition to Disney paying Universal for licensing, they'd also be having to pay a few hundred million to build attractions. Why would Disney go through all of that?

JIMINYCR

To me, the question is more of what they have done to the parks for the last.two.decades.

Never as kids did we ask what movie Big Thunder, Space Mt, or even Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion were based on(even with loose cinematic inspiration)
It didnt hurt that Walt promoted PotC and other attractions on his TV show that started the buzz about what people would encounter in the park.
Present day theyve gotten the idea that the only way to attract new guests and entice repeat guests back they must have something to tie an attraction to. Originally the concept that worked was to build something unique, that is fun and brings theming and original story together. There was no need to start off with an existing show to tie into. People will come if its well done and it gives them an experience thats worth traveling to.

Cmdr_Crimson

Universal has rights east of the mississippi for a vast majority of Marvel characters forever. Disney would need to offer a LOT for Universal to change their mind, on top of that in addition to Disney paying Universal for licensing, they'd also be having to pay a few hundred million to build attractions. Why would Disney go through all of that?
It is weird how that agreement is when the MCU versions can be on the Disney Cruise for Marvel at Sea if it's coming out of Port Canaveral..

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Original Poster
It is weird how that agreement is when the MCU versions can be on the Disney Cruise for Marvel at Sea if it's coming out of Port Canaveral..
The agreement is apparently "within the theme parks" specifically I should add.

The reason this was very apparent is that the first monorail wrap was for TRON Legacy, that was on the Epcot line, but the Avengers monorail wrap was on the MK line...that only goes up to the entrance of the park and not within the park boundaries as the Epcot line does.

That's my theory at least.

celluloid

Many will disagree, but Disney has DEEP content to mine with Marvel. I realize they have produced a lot of content, but I have no doubt there are other $1B film franchises lurking in the vast library of Marvel characters. That could easily lead to new attractions. That said, what Disney has done so far on the west coast with this IP is disappointing.
Its not even just the West Coast and Marvel.

In Hong Kong Disney gave Iron man a Star Tours ride sans the animatronic on board and anything more.
Ant Man is a ride that is all screens and took out anything that had any real kinetic energy or movement. The targets are obvious and not very interactive.

In Paris the RnR redo was very lackluster. It has a few screens, not even close to Cosmic Rewind and it's a passive experience for the guest to get on, not really a part of much story.
And then the cloned West Coast things.

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
Makes sense, but I'm sure Disney/Marvel have outright ownership to many untapped characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom