Disney has an "IP" issue, and not the one we've discussed often

ppete1975

Theres alot of popular IP that havent been used or no longer used. That I think could be as popular as anything new. Or at least as good as most of what universal has used
WALL-e
Bambi
Tale Spin
Donald Duck
Goofy
All the other classic characters
Rescue rangers
chip and dale
hocus pocus
Duck tales
robin hood
jungle book
lilo and stitch
aristocats
Petes Dragon
20,000 leagues
lady and the tramp
mary poppins
Figment

I could go on for weeks. It doesnt have to be new IP just a fun ride thats well done.

I mean the park down the road is putting in blaster games on moving walk ways, I think disney can come up with something.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Theres alot of popular IP that havent been used or no longer used. That I think could be as popular as anything new. Or at least as good as most of what universal has used
WALL-e
Bambi
Tale Spin
Donald Duck
Goofy
Rescue rangers
chip and dale
hocus pocus
Duck tales
robin hood
jungle book
lilo and stitch
aristocats
Petes Dragon
20,000 leagues
lady and the tramp
mary poppins
Figment

I could go on for weeks. It doesnt have to be new IP just a fun ride thats well done.

I mean the park down the road is putting in blaster games on moving walk ways, I think disney can come up with something.
Not really a list of IPs I would consider to relate to the current generation, but it DOES show how many IPs they haven't used even in the classic area.

Even the popular 90s/2000s IPs are underutilized.. Hercules, Hunchback, Mulan, Pocahontas, Brave, Incredibles, Tangled, Inside Out, Zootopia, Coco, Encanto, Big Hero 6, Up, Wreck it Ralph, Onward, Monsters Inc, Cars....

All underutilized to their full potential in Florida. They have a buffet of options to choose from. Disney is fine. Lol.

KatiebugFan

WALL-e
Bambi
Tale Spin
Donald Duck
Goofy
Rescue rangers
chip and dale
hocus pocus
Duck tales
robin hood
jungle book
lilo and stitch
aristocats
Petes Dragon
20,000 leagues
lady and the tramp
mary poppins
Figment

You forgot the best one of all "Emperors New Groove"

jpinkc

*glares in Space Jam*
Bugsd.jpg

I will take this Rabbit any day over the Space Jam Bugs. But it was still fun movie for my kids. See how politically incorrect Iam, liking something made before 1980, that was funny. Yes I could have picked something more offensive from Looney Tunes but I chose not to.

wdwfan4ver

Universal is reportedly needing to tap into How to Train Your Dragon and classic monsters as two IP sources. I don't think either is a particularly great idea. I think Disney will be fine.
Remember Epic Universe has 4 IP lands, not 2. Also the Hub has 2 rides that are not connected to any IPS including a dueling rollercoaster called Starfalls Racer.

You are dealing with Potter and Super Nintendo World besides How to Train Your Dragon, and Classic Monsters for Epic Universe. How to Train your Dragon will be opening up with a coaster and rule theme is coasters do draw people in. There is a market for classic monsters plus having a coaster in that land is going draw people in considering monsters have been known for many generations.

Harry Potter land 3 is going be a big draw due to the land being Harry Potter. The only catch is that land is going to have 1 ride and 1 stage show with a big expansion plot

Remember Super Nintendo World is opening up with more rides than the one in Universal Studios Hollywood has including a Donkey Kong Coaster. Nintendo is huge in popularity.

Don't forget Warner Brothers MAY soon be for sale. Will Disney over-leverage again and try to pick up those properties?
It is likely Disney does not have the money for Warner Brothers because the amount of Debt the Walt Disney Company currently has. Disney has a net debt of 38.1 billion dollars as of April of this year. The catch is we don't know the current amount since Disney has been losing at the box office and has been losing subscribers for Disney plus.

The other thing is it would be likely the Government would stop in and stop Disney from buying Warner Brothers from a monopoly standpoint.

Bugs isnt the draw he was 50 years ago unfortunately, and I dont see any way TWDC could even attempt an offer. Comcast would be the buyer in my book. That could give them a "gravitas" animated characters to use in the Looney Toons
Comcast can't use Looney Toons from a theme parks till the Six Flags rights run out. I can't give out an accurate time frame because I read different time frames when it runs out with the latest being 2053.

Last edited:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Remember Epic Universe has 4 IP lands, not 2. Also the Hub has 2 rides that are not connected to any IPS including a dueling rollercoaster called Starfalls Racer.

You are dealing with Potter and Super Nintendo World besides How to Train Your Dragon, and Classic Monsters for Epic Universe. How to Train your Dragon will be opening up with a coaster and rule theme is coasters do draw people in. There is a market for classic monsters plus having a coaster in that land is going draw people in considering monsters have been known for many generations.

Harry Potter land 3 is going be a big draw due to the land being Harry Potter. The only catch is that land is going to have 1 ride and 1 stage show with a big expansion plot

Yes, but my point bringing up those two IP ideas for Universal is that is that it's using weaker IP. How to Train Your Dragon has been a success but is maybe most comparable to Wreck it Ralph in popularity (movie gross, release timeliness, etc). Disney has such a deep bench of IP that there's barely any Ralph in its parks whereas Universal is betting a whole land on Dragons because they don't have the same options Disney does. I hope Monsters does well because I love the idea. Yes it's well known, but is it as well known with today's kids as Nemo, Lightning McQueen, Aladdin, and Ariel? I don't think so.

But at the end of the day, maybe the IP doesn't matter as much as the attraction itself. Taking those same Disney 4, they each have at least one pretty dull attraction that is not very popular at WDW. I don't remember who said it earlier today but it's ultimately attraction quality that will bring repeat customers. Universal could figure out how to do more with Monsters than Disney has with Frozen. Big IP will get folks through the door once but both Disney and Universal really need repeat guests to be most successful.

So my two jumbled points are best summized as (1) IP matters less than ride quality, and (2) for anything that IP does matter, Universal's bench of options is way more shallow than Disney's bench.

jpinkc

Yes, but my point bringing up those two IP ideas for Universal is that is that it's using weaker IP. How to Train Your Dragon has been a success but is maybe most comparable to Wreck it Ralph in popularity (movie gross, release timeliness, etc). Disney has such a deep bench of IP that there's barely any Ralph in its parks whereas Universal is betting a whole land on Dragons because they don't have the same options Disney does. I hope Monsters does well because I love the idea. Yes it's well known, but is it as well known with today's kids as Nemo, Lightning McQueen, Aladdin, and Ariel? I don't think so.

But at the end of the day, maybe the IP doesn't matter as much as the attraction itself. Taking those same Disney 4, they each have at least one pretty dull attraction that is not very popular at WDW. I don't remember who said it earlier today but it's ultimately attraction quality that will bring repeat customers. Universal could figure out how to do more with Monsters than Disney has with Frozen. Big IP will get folks through the door once but both Disney and Universal really need repeat guests to be most successful.

So my two jumbled points are best summized as (1) IP matters less than ride quality, and (2) for anything that IP does matter, Universal's bench of options is way more shallow than Disney's bench.
I will agree on "kids" part, in regards to IP. But Uni does have plenty in a broader spectrum. Imagine they "reimagine" a new Jaws ride, a newer better Jurassic Park ride, more MIB, more Back to the Future, and plenty untouched Matrix, I think they still hold rights to Monty Python movies, I would love a Holy Grail ride :D

Cmdr_Crimson

Comcast can't use Looney Toons from a theme parks till the Six Flags rights run out. I can't give out an accurate time frame because I read different time frames when it runs out with the latest being 2053.
The other parks like WB Movie World and WB World in Abu Dhabi also retain rights from Village Roadshow and some other subowner from WB.

It just amazes me where they started in the theme park circuit out here where I live in Illinois..During the Marriott era and up through the Time Warner era they strongly promoted Bugs and his friends prominently and ever since the buyout in 1984 from Six Flags they were spread throughout the chain..

And I for one can say I was "Good Friends" with Bugs and friends during my time out there and it was a blast to interact with the guests..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Iger’s contract got extended. Im sure he is in the mood to pick up a new IP or two.
So he can let them sink on his watch?

Any guess as to how much money they’re losing - daily - by mismanaging what they got?

Doesn’t make sense to get “deals” on revenue generating IP and then intentionally sink it

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm psyched for the Classic Monsters and cant wait to see all it includes. I cant remember which site it was on but the Classic Monsters ride system, if it comes out as shown will be out of this world.
That’s a great example of “obvious” synergy…hopefully they do it well 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Universal is reportedly needing to tap into How to Train Your Dragon and classic monsters as two IP sources. I don't think either is a particularly great idea. I think Disney will be fine.
Two of the 3 last Disney “lands” are mediocre on a good day…and they frankly don’t have the cash or management to add anything worthwhile for some time moving forward…

People don’t want to hear it…but Comcast is by far better positioned for growth in the Orlando market right now.

Especially if they’re smart enough not to overprice themselves.

Also…the monsters land will be a huge hit.

ppete1975

Not really a list of IPs I would consider to relate to the current generation, but it DOES show how many IPs they haven't used even in the classic area.

Even the popular 90s/2000s IPs are underutilized.. Hercules, Hunchback, Mulan, Pocahontas, Brave, Incredibles, Tangled, Inside Out, Zootopia, Coco, Encanto, Big Hero 6, Up, Wreck it Ralph, Onward, Monsters Inc, Cars....

All underutilized to their full potential in Florida. They have a buffet of options to choose from. Disney is fine. Lol.
Yeah I intentionally picked mostly older stuff to show case how much was never used in the past. And to be fair it doesnt even matter. They could take as an example Ducktales and create an amazing fun ride (maybe something like what donkey kong is doing at universal) and all of a sudden duck tales is super popular again. And kids that were never exposed to it now go to disney plus to watch all of the shows, spawning another disney plus show.

They could utilize the parks to drive disney plus viewership

Cmdr_Crimson

View attachment 731162
I will take this Rabbit any day over the Space Jam Bugs. But it was still fun movie for my kids. See how politically incorrect Iam, liking something made before 1980, that was funny. Yes I could have picked something more offensive from Looney Tunes but I chose not to.
I find it interesting that no one realises why they "hate" these versions of the LT characters if you look at it the way it was represented...

I Apologize if I go on a rant here but, these are my favorite films since the Clip shorted films of the 80s...😆

When the Nerdlucks and Swackhammer find out about the Tunes they were watching their shorts....When they came to Looney Tunes Land they thought they were capturing the ones they saw on tv...Only to realize that they were not who they were........They are "Actors" That's why the Tunes were acting the way they are and why Bugs brings this up..
9563fb49-e450-42fc-aad9-05c33c906e25_text.gif

It's pretty much the idea of Galaxyquest where aliens assume they are getting the characters of the show only to find out they are just actors..

Now "Cyber" Space Jam (which it should have been called) Those versions are "digital" versions of the Tunes which is why at the end of the Film Bugs mentions he's never been to Hollywood even tho they are well aware the characters know it existed...
b96c2b6a-cd9c-4c46-be7d-ef411635a82e_text.gif

Okay, my "Me" talk is done..Coffee and snacks are in the lobby...

celluloid

While boarding the People Mover on our recent trip, my 5 yr old daughter asked me "Daddy, what movie is this ride from?" and I instantly understood Disney's rational for slapping an IP on every new attraction.
To me, the question is more of what they have done to the parks for the last two decades.

Never as kids did we ask what movie Big Thunder, Space Mt, or even Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion were based on(even with loose cinematic inspiration)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom