Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

Mickeyboof

Okay so no more regular fastpasses? Do I just have to use standby on every ride unless I wanna pay extra? Would it be worth it to pay for the Lightning Lane? I have no idea how any of this will affect me on my next trip, I've never used MaxPass and haven't been to DLR since 2017-2018. Also what affect do you think this will have one queue times?

I beg anyone to never pay for these “services.”

MaxPass was the same as fastpass, the only difference was the convenience of booking them from your phone, instead of walking to the attraction itself. Completely digital.

smooch

It’s surge pricing. So the great thing (for shareholders) is those attractions could go for $6-8 under Lightning Lane, more “in demand” attractions like RoTR abd Websliners could go for much more (Jim Hill mentioned $50 for RoTR).

Plus it also eliminates the need for more staff/better ops since artificially inflated capacity means more $$. A win-win for management, Ivy League MBAs at work.
I know people say this a lot but I haven't said it much in the past personally, but if they charge $50 for RotR I might move on from visiting Disney (I rarely went anyways, once every other year or so) for the most part. I want to experience RotR because I love Star Wars and Disney theme parks and have heard how impressive it is, I don't want to spend anywhere close to $50 to ride ONE RIDE on top of the ticket price to enter the park. And if I wanna do anything else Star Wars related I have to spend $100-200 on experiences, a ton on food or drinks to experience the cantina, etc. If this is how their new lands run, and they're changing systems across the park to include things like paying to ride a ride after you already paid hundreds for a ticket to get in then I can't keep supporting Disney while they diminish the enjoyment of the park-going experience at the expense of making a ton of extra money, it's a lose-lose for the consumer. This is just modern businesses in general I admit, it's not a Disney specific practice / way of operating, and I hate it all to pad shareholders pockets.

Newtwo

I am sure there are now going to be a lot less boarding groups available in the morning for your non-pay-to-win guests as they will set aside a certain % for the rich

PostScott

The audio commentary and Disney lenses seem like a good touch.

I always got Maxpass for my DL trips but not sure about WDW. WDW trips are much more expensive and longer.

Stevek

Okay so no more regular fastpasses? Do I just have to use standby on every ride unless I wanna pay extra? Would it be worth it to pay for the Lightning Lane? I have no idea how any of this will affect me on my next trip, I've never used MaxPass and haven't been to DLR since 2017-2018. Also what affect do you think this will have one queue times?
Correct. All fastpasses will be digital based. It really depends on how many of these passes they allocate each day but I'd guess that standby lines will be long.

Mickeyboof

This move is boring and predicable. I prefer to keep my phone far away from Disneyland. Once food ordering returns as normal, I’m going to keep on with that and ignore this convoluted Genie system.

dlr74

Will Millennium Falcon at DL finally get Fastpass? Or I guess I should say “Genie+“.

They rolled out FP to WDW Falcon in early 2020, and then the DL version was supposed to get it in late March. Then of course the parks closed before it rolled out.

britain

I've read the official description a few times now, and I'm STILL not clear about the difference between "regular" Genie+ Lightning Lane and "premium" Genie+ Lightning Lane.

If you're going to have three tiers, just use three names. Not just a nuanced difference between #2 and #3 being "when available" and "schedule yourself".

waltography

I was gonna buy a Magic Key the day the passes dropped, but now I'm going to wait until I see how Lightning Lane affects park wait patterns. Too many confounding variables right now.

On the upside, there's more dislikes than likes on the announcement video so it's clear even regulars are mad.

SSH

So we now have Virtual Queues, which are different than Boarding Groups, which are not the same as Genie+, which has different availability than Lightning Lane.

Have fun explaining that one to the day guests.
especially feel for the MANY guests for whom English is not their first language. Not sure about DLR, but so many WDW guests do not speak or understand English too well. Something (or many things) are bound to get lost in the translation - along with their sanity and patience. :rolleyes:

Mickeyboof

I've read the official description a few times now, and I'm STILL not clear about the difference between "regular" Genie+ Lightning Lane and "premium" Genie+ Lightning Lane.

If you're going to have three tiers, just use three names. Not just a nuanced difference between #2 and #3 being "when available" and "schedule yourself".

it’s absolutely absurd and ridiculous. I don’t understand how this system is going to be explained to guests who aren’t already familiar with the particulars of Disney theme parks.

All of this will be built into the existing Disneyland App, I believe.

Genie - Free “concierge” planning algorithm. I suspect it will attempt to push people to various experiences as a way of AI crowd control. People don’t need to follow it’s advice, however. It is merely suggestion and does NOT grant access to any experiences or attractions.

Genie+ $20 - Free “concierge” planning algorithm PLUS the ability to digitally reserve Lightning Lane return times to LOWER TIER attractions. This is an echo of MaxPass, however this time you can only hold ONE Lightning Lane pass at a time. Photo pass is included for that day.

Individual Experiences Lightning Lane - This is completely separate from Genie and Genie+. You can pay for individual experiences (UP TO TWO PER DAY) for top tier attractions like Radiator Racers or Rise of the Resistance. Prices will be dynamically priced.

Virtual Queue / Boarding Groups - Also completely separate from Genie and Lightning Lane. Will be limited, and possibly ONLY available to join once per day? We’ll see.

SoCalDisneyLover

Prediction:

1. Indiana Jones
2. Splash Mountain
3. Big Thunder Mountain
4. Millennium Falcon
5. Roger Rabbit
6. Matterhorn
7. Space Mountain
8. Buzz Lightyear
9. Guardians
10. Web Slingers
11. CA Screamin'
12. Toy Story Midway Mania
13. Mickey's Sky School
14. Grizzly Peak
15. Soarin'

???? - Haunted Mansion Holiday, Small World Holiday, Star Tours.

Mickeyboof

Yes it's not INCLUDED with Genie+, but doesn't the transaction happen WITHIN Genie+ ?

Ugh... I'm not going to the parks for awhile now. Ghibli, take me away...

I don’t believe it does- the verbiage on the the website makes it seem isolated. But we’ll see! I wouldn’t be surprised, seeing as you have to pay for Disney+ to pay for Disney+ Premier Acess.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

It’s not really supposed to be easily understood. It’s like the penny slot machines in Vegas that pay out vastly more the more $$ you put in.

The goal is to bilk the guests into “throwing more money at the problem” to make it easier; hence more upselling. Make the process unnecessarily cumbersome and hope the consumers give up and eat the cost.

It’s all about the transition in the business model to increasing per guest spending over increasing guest satisfaction.

Tamandua

Cryx3od.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom